Spridget parts

Randy Canfield

I have sold my venerable Bugeye Sprite race car and all spares to Gary Callihan who now has it all. He will be selling off many (if not all) of the parts. Unfortunately I do not have a list of what he got. I'd urge anyone looking for about any Spridget bit to contact Gary at gbcallihan at yahoo dot com.

I don't think Gary has fully decided whether to part the car out or not, but there are many duplicate (spare) parts, and several goodies on the car that aren't essential to its operation. And if he decides to run vintage, lots of stuff would have to come off. Check with him for the latest.

Sorry to hear that Randy. I remember growing up watching you, Ron and Dan race at Watkins Glen every year. Talking about the good old days!

Really hoping he'll keep the same paint scheme and overall look of the car. It would be awesome to see it preserved and running at vintage events.

I will break my self imposed absence from the site to say thank you Randy from Toni & I for all the great memories we have pitting with you at many Road Atlanta Runoffs. You shared many secrets and we will always be in debt to you for that. You, Chris Fox, Ray Stone, Jim Miller and Wally Hicks were truly the "Alabama Gang" of Austin Healey Sprite racing in SCCA.

Peter Egan at Road and Track should do an article on a real club racing legend. Keep in touch even though you are no longer in the drivers seat. Thanks, Jay

Wally Hicks, now, there is a name from my past, worked in his build shop/machine shop/flow bench room in a two car "garageista" a bunch of times making parts for my auto-x spridget like off-set leaf springs and turning SU's into thru bores , saw Kent Prathers MGA g car being built in his shop in lets say, the mid eighties, and I did not know about his 'bama connection, Wally, lived down the street from me in Sterling Park, Va.,spent alot of time in his garage. One of a kind !

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I have 52 years of memories myself, and greatly appreciate them. My only regret is that I didn't get started until I was in my 30s, but that's the way it worked out. Cheers!

Indeed, a great deal of thanks to you and a lot of the other "Statesmen" drivers in the production classes for what you meant to all of us that followed. My first encounter with SCCA Club racing was in April 1974 at Summit Point and saw the Team Turtle cars and others and from that day forward, I knew I wanted to race Spridgets when I got out of school. I can remember hanging out with you, Ray Stone, Jim Miller, Jim & Toni Creighton, Richard Puett, Wally Overton, Gary Baucom. Joe Hauser and many others at Atlanta, Rockingham, Charlotte, Summitt and Savannah as I worked my way through NC State.

Thanks for the memories and all that you've meant to many of us here and elsewhere. Your name will always be on the Prodfest PLN Spirit Award trophy. I managed to somehow be selected as the recipient this year. Get to put mine beside yours and many others who exhibit the spirit and dedication to the Production Car racing community.

Take care and visit us at the tracks as you are able.

Mike Miller
Comptune
#64HP

Randy... Just got off the phone with Jon Stamps and told him about the sale of your car and parts. He's got a huge amount of respect for you and would really like to talk to you. If you'd give him a call at 770-312-0308 he'd really appreciate it. As for me, your history speaks for itself. Congratulations on your impact to our sport.

Bob

Randy your accomplishments in H/P are legendary. I ran second to you in the lime green Mk2 at the '72 ARRC before loosing brakes. You taught me lessons in driving. As far as I'm concerned, you walked on water in a Sprite. Those are memories I'll never forget.
Thank you.
Sam Seay
Florida

Back