Source for polyurethane bar stock?

mmacquee

I am looking for some medium-firm durometer polyurethane bar stock, about 3/4" thick by 1 1/2" wide, only need about one foot or so at this time. Anyone have a source? Or recommend another firm plastic material, something which is tough enough to hold a helicoil. Application is in a compression load situation (trying to come up with spridget motor mounts which won't fail all the time). ANy tips on materials and sources appreciated -

I have a hunk of it in the garage that would work.. I think it's 100-105 durometer or so. pretty hard stuff. I bought a chunk about 12x24x2" or so several years ago and have used little of it. WAY too stiff for a street car, and the race car has solid mounts.

I don't remember where I bought it now- it was probably 7-8 years ago.. but it was an industrial matt company and these were used as padding where machinery would dump out heavy material onto a slide. anyway, if you want a hunk of it, shoot me an address and I'll send you what you need. can provide pics/dimensions of what I have when I get home tonight.

I will look at McMaster-Carr, they seem to be the go-to source for most anything. Online Metals was one of the first places I checked but they don't seem to offer any polyurethane products. I appreciate everyone's inputs -
If all else fails I will attempt to make a rubber sandwich mount which does not rely on the crappy bonding used by whoever the Moss vendor is, something mechanical and failure-proof.

This may not be as rigid as you are looking for but when I was making a transmission cross member I used the harder sway bar end link bushings available at many auto parts stores. Already built cheap and pretty red color.:) :)

Have you considered using UHMW instead? Pretty EZ to get but you'll have to check out the mechanical properties.

It appears the winner is nylon bar stock in the dimension I wanted from McMaster-Carr, I had some other shopping todo on their site anyway.
Again, thanks for the tips & offers.

Spridget motor mounts usually fail from the motor rocking from torque or downshift braking.

If you don't have a counter torque strap, fabricate one.

RJS

Hi Mike -

I doubt that Polyurethane will hold a helicoil very well so nylon is likely better in that regard. May be able to rent out your race car as a vibramassage chair afterward!

One thing you might want to consider though would be casting a part using liquid polyurethane resin. Grainger had several different hardnesses locally including "pretty hard". I bought it initially for doing a combustion chamber mold for a custom piston design but have since used if for a suspension bushing gap filler and a few other things. Quite easy to work with if a bit nasty/toxic 'til cured.

You might be able to come up with a design that uses a mechanical interlock rather than relying on adhesion.

Al Seim

Back