Side Net Install

Al Seim

Hi -

Installing a right side net in my VW. What's a tidy way to limit the straps from sliding sideways along the cage bars w/o welding?

Al Seim
Race Technology USA
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

To answer my own question - U-bolt type muffler clamps occurred to me as a good strong cheap solution! Nuts to the rear, and the saddle part presents a nice smooth "wall" toward the straps. Thanks for the other suggestions, got me thinking.

Not too impressed by your latest suggestions, David. And you forgot chewing gum.

Hose clamps seemed a bit marginal too, if nothing else due to lack of bearing area, not sure if they would really be strong enough either.

The shaft collars would work well I'm sure. But - the steel ones are kinda heavy. And the aluminum ones kinda expensive - then I got to thinking - what's strong, light and cheap and clamps around a tube? Aha...

I can't see that a properly tightened muffler clamp could be head-butted via a polyester strap into sliding along a roll bar tube, they should be easily able to develop a ton or better clamp force...??? And the saddle part should offer good bearing area.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco

Al Seim":3uzfelot said:
Not too impressed by your latest suggestions, David. And you forgot chewing gum.
Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco

One tie wrap temporarily loosely around the tube, a second tie wrap loosely around the tube tie warp and the window net strap tube loop. Tighten the tube tie wrap and WALLA, cheap, neat and tidy, oh and light weight. Supose you could wad some chewing gum around the sharp ends of the tie wraps so ya don't scratch yourself or crew. :think: And it don't look like farmer fashion. :mrgreen:

Tim Bell at COTA a couple weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZafJW8Ao0

Food for thought after reviewing the in-car..
Look at how much the right side net "stretches" during the wreck. Before the impact, the net is tight- no slack. Immediately after the impact, there's plenty of slack in the net. I'm not sure if that's because the mounting points behind the seat moved, the cage flexed somewhere, the net itself stretched, or some combination of all of the above.

Gives some thought regarding the validity of tying down the right side net with ty wraps to locate the straps on the cage..

We found the one in our T4 car had been racketed so tight you could not activate the quick release. Test it and find a balance that gives support and can still be easily released. Just something to keep in mind in case you need to escape the other side of the car.

Matt, I was throwing a load at Al because he posted all about CHEAP. Installing a side net should be treated the same as installing a seat, seat belts, window net and selecting a helmet. You know the remainder of that story. :wink:

Understood.. However, there are those that still seem to think hose clamps, ty wraps, and etc are suitable. If it were designed for ONLY a forward impact, that would be fine. however, the point of the side net it to limit head and body movement to the side in an impact- a place where wrap-around straps don't really excel in their design. ;)

Most of the best installations that I have seen include a small ] of 1/4" steel rod welded to the cage and then the strap is threaded through that while installing. The next best is the billet aluminum two-piece clamps that bolt on around the cage.

Back