Shipping options

mlangley

I need to ship a couple of transmissions and possibly a motor from Alabama to North Carolina, and am wondering what the best option from a cost standpoint to use. I have heard UPS and FedX will be a lot more expensive. Any input on options and ways to pack the parts, and sources to ship with. Thanks.

with this much your best bet will be to put them all on one pallet and ship them motor freight. The there are several companies that run that lane regularly.

Having a motor shipped from East to West coast on Old Dominion. Shipper does not collect shipping fees, as those are paid upon delivery.

If it means anything to you, I'm in the trucking business and I use R&L for all my LTL. Very happy with them.

Put it on a pallet and use Freightquote.com.

They'll get you a better LTL price than you'll be able to get yourself directly from any of the LTL carriers.

I've shipped several motors and transmissions using Old Dominion Freight Lines, ODFL. Rates were not that expensive. Never tried Greyhound, didn't know how they would handle the weight or size.

Usually crated the parts, shipping Mazda rotary engines & Trans. You could also secure them to a pallet. They can unload from the back of your pickup at their terminal, or pick it up from your location. I found it a lot less to deliver to their terminal. Never had any damages. Shipped all over the country, west and east coasts.

Thanks for all the info, another question will I need to enclose them or just strap them to the pallet? If not enclosed then do they need to be wrapped or left open?

I had a quickchange rearend shipped from Florida to Colorado by Saia Trucking. Cost $190. Other than them losing the pallet for 2 weeks it was fine. Have the shipper take pics of the pallet when they drop it off and send to you. Thats the only way they found mine.

We use UPS to run our transmissions back and forth to Taylor Race in Texas. We stand them on a 3/4 piece of round plywood with a relief in the center for the input shaft. 4 5/16 bolts holds them down and the bolt head serve as "feet" to stand them on end. Suggest wrapping and taping with thin bubble wrap. UPS charges by weight so I don't know what they would charge you but the cost was less than trucking and we never had any trouble with the shipments. Pictures a good idea....

Bob

I have had a couple transmissions shipped, bought on E-bay.

One went UPS, the other went FED-EX, just depended on what the seller was used to using.

The trans was about 90 pounds, the shipping was reasonable. That might be the upper end of what is practical for easy shipping.

Might try to get the weight of each box as small as possible, how much can you take off the engine? Can you ship some of it separately; flywheel, head, any smaller parts that could be removed and sent in a different box.

I had 4 cast iron heads sent, boxed one at a time, all 4 at once would have been a problem.

Of course get them drained and as dry as possible then seal them up as much as practical so they don't drip.

If you want to ship all of it together, then maybe attach to a pallet and use a bigger shipping company, that might require shipping to a business, not a house.

Back