Screen pore size

Dayle Frame

I'll be needing to mount a screen in front of my air duct through the air dam and valence. This will be air going through the oil cooler and radiator. So what pore size screen do I need? At some point the grid can be too small and will block air......thoughts?

Dayle

Hardware screen, 1/4" grid, about $1 new, tilted and mounted at an angle to air flow. Sometimes just cut a little longer than needed and curved with downward pressure. It stops rocks, clag and small birds.

Secure it with Ty wraps, rivets or the spring pressure of a curved piece held in place by the confines of the mounting area. Sometimes secured with Ty wraps to any spot available, doesn't need a complicated frame support. Cut off the exposed wire ends. You'll know why the first time you try to remove it.

Used forever, never lost a radiator or an oil cooler, when they were mounted about 2" or more behind the screen.

Tested to a little more than 190 mph... That's all I could do at Daytona.

Dayle, pick the size of debris you want to stop from entering. If you are not stopping light from getting through, you really are not stopping air. There was a misguided movement to stop screens from openings in air dams. Apparently no one involved understood that screens affect air by straightening the stream and do not restrict the air flow to any significant degree.

Back