SCCA roll bar rules

R

RICK HAYNES

Yes, here we go again. This is an old subject that's going to be boring for some people while others probably didn't even know these events took place. Nevertheless, it's an issue that's important to me and I would still like to see it resolved. Most of the information you need to know will be apparent if you read the two following letters. The first is an email I posted in 2004 in response to some misinformation (lies) that were being spread by the former director Brian Holtz. It's pretty self-explanatory, but a little background.

Back in the '90s, there were a lot of people involved in SCCA's proposed changes to the roll bar rule, a rule that I think had served the club well for 30 years. Certain people within the club decided that it needed to be changed. It's generally accepted that this was in response to the Comp Board's dislike for Dean Johnson's roll bar (which was perfectly legal at the time) in his F-Production Spitfire. So they decided to revamp all the roll bar rules to their liking. This led to 10 years plus of controversy which eliminated some production cars from competing and other drivers quitting because they didn't want to change their cars. Interestingly enough, one of the long term effects of this was smaller production car fields and ultimately class consolidation which has brought us to many of the problems we have now with too many cars of too many varying engine sizes trying to race against each other in too few classes. This truly was the beginning of all these problems. Unfortunately, changing the roll bar rule is not going to roll back the clock and correct all those problems, but one thing at a time, and back to the roll bar.

As you can see from the second letter, written to Lisa Noble and distributed to all the directors, I still would like to see the rule changed back to the way it was in the 1980s for these reasons. I think the current SCCA design is unsafe. I think it every time I sit in my SCCA car. A great many drivers in all types of racing have been injured and killed impacting their own roll cages. It's usually in a forward direction as a result of a frontal impact. Example: Dale Earnhardt, Neil Bonnet, Clifford Allison, Adam Petty, and I also have a list of SCCA production drivers (that I'll be happy to supply if anyone is interested) who have been injured in a similar way. The original reason for the forward facing bars given by the Comp Board was to protect drivers against cockpit intrusion. Despite repeatedly asking anyone and everyone at SCCA to supply the name of anyone who has been injured as a result of cockpit intrusion, there have been no examples given. There might very well be; I just don't know of any but I'm sure the number is but a small percentage of the number of drivers who have been injured impacting their own roll cages. I'm not against roll cages. I go to great lengths to build what I think is a very safe cage for all my cars.

Prior to the changes in the 1990s, drivers were allowed to design their own cages within certain general parameters. If they wished to deviate from the SCCA "recommended" design, they could submit their design with an engineering report showing it satisfied the three load criteria requirements as listed in the GCR/PCS. This seemed reasonable and worked well. It allowed me to run a design I was comfortable with and others who preferred a different cage to run their preference. I might note that the current required SCCA design will not meet the load criteria SCCA required up to the rule change in the 1990s. Ironic, isn't it? It's also odd that other classes, sports racers as an example, are still allowed to design and build their own cages, an opportunity denied production car racers; I wonder why that is. Despite numerous requests to SCCA, this has never been explained.

The letter submitted to Lisa Noble last summer is one in a long line of letters sent to SCCA presidents, directors, risk management attorneys (Pete Lyons), and others at SCCA along with phone calls and personal meetings with some of the same people. So this is nothing new to anybody. In fact, I talked to Lisa about this right after she became director many years ago. This letter is just my latest attempt. I was told when this letter was brought up during one of the director's meetings last fall that Lisa referred to me unflatteringly and said there was nothing to be concerned about. Strikes me as an unprofessional way to treat a concern of an SCCA member and an extremely cavalier attitude for the president of a company that has been successfully sued as many times as SCCA. Keep in mind, the judgments in these cases have all been kept confidential to avoid SCCA members knowing about the financial loss and the incredibly incompetent way that loss management has been handled in SCCA for the last 25 years.

This roll bar issue is a simple one. Reinstate the rule that was in the GCR for 30 plus years and allow people the freedom to build roll cages that are safe and drivers can feel comfortable in. Too much to ask? It has been for 20 plus years. I can feel the yawns out there about this subject; probably not much interest. But if it resonates with anyone, please mention it in type or in person to your director and the Comp Board. Who knows? This might have a small side effect of getting some of the older production cars with roll cages that do not presently meet the rules back on the race track and even provide some crossover entries from vintage organizations whose roll bar rules are much more reasonable.

letter from 2004.

Dear Members,

I don’t make a practice of reading the H-Production website often, but I heard the disappointing news that area 2 director Brian Holtz is continuing to lie about the engineering analysis done on the SCCA roll bar design.

I’m here to set the record straight. But first a little history.

In the mid 90’s certain members of SCCA comp board Peter Quenet and Brian Holtz among them took it upon themselves to start pushing for new roll bar specifications. A lot of people were against it, I among them.

So in response, one of the things we did was to push them into submitting their preferred design to a technical analysis of the type required of members to have roll bars approved. This they did. It was done by ALTAIR Engineering in Troy, MI. (I have the report). At the runoffs that year (1997), we were told that the report would be made available to the members. It wasn’t.

We were told that it was now being treated as an internal working document. And I was told by Brian Holtz, who was on the Comp Board, George Bovis and Chuck Shapiro, who were both directors at the time, that there was nothing in the report that needs concern us and that there was nothing to hide.

The first thing you learn about people who say they have nothing to hide is that they have something to hide. And they did. The report clearly shows that the SCCA roll bar submitted for analysis failed two of the three design criteria (Vertical Crush and Horizontal Crush). Some of the quotes from that were report were, “These loads are below the SCCA specification of 7.5g. It is about this displacement that the rear hoop begins to buckle above the main hoop support braces.” … “This peak is below the minimum requirement of 5.5g (61165kN) as specified in the GCR.”

I also have an internal document written by Jim Leithauser that was sent to the BOD and the Comp Board discussing the problem so this shows they were all aware of it and continued to lie about it until Pete Hilton became director and true to his word, gave me the documents. Which I basically forced him into doing by running for director also and getting him to publicly declare that if he was elected, he would release the information.

I think Chuck Shapiro lost his job over this issue, he finished 3rd in the election with me 2nd. (I’m glad I didn’t win; the last thing I wanted was to be a director).

Now you might ask yourself why a current director would continue to lie about this putting the club into a potentially liable situation. I’m not sure, but I will speculate. I think it might just be pride. You see, Brian and others, championed this design and when it came back a failure, they just didn’t want anybody to know. Especially since in their hands at that time was an engineering study that I had had done years before on the roll bar design that I preferred and believed safer. (I still do). It had passed all three criteria with flying colors. And it was an embarrassment to them to have to admit this. It doesn’t seem to matter to them the irony that if any member had submitted the engineering study that they got from ALTAIR it would have been rejected as unsuitable. And still the basic design ended up in the GCR and they continue to push for it today.

It’s a mystery to me. I can only assume that some people that aspire to positions such as director don’t feel they are doing their job unless they are cramming their point of view down someone else’s throat.

If anyone wants copies of any of these documents, call me at 614-231-7194 or email me at: [email protected].

letter June 2014

Rick Haynes

352 National Rd. SE

Hebron, OH 43025

To: Lisa Noble at SCCA

Ms Noble:

My name is Rick Haynes. We talked a number of years ago right after you became a director. I called you one evening to discuss my concerns about the SCCA roll bar design that is required on SCCA production cars. I made it a practice back then to call all the new directors to let them know the problems with SCCA requiring a roll bar design that had documented deficiencies. We had a very cordial conversation, I said I would send you some information for you to look at, and call you back in a month to discuss the issue. Not surprisingly, you never answered the phone when I called again, nor did you return any of my calls. SCCA directors have been scared to death of this for years, and they hate talking to me about it especially after having a conversation with SCCA's risk management attorney at that time, Pete Lyons. Up until the last few years, I talked to every SCCA official and director that I thought might be able to correct this problem. I don't need to go into all the details here as I am including a note that I put on a website some years back refuting some, as typical, false claims by Brian Holtz. I think if you have time to read it, it will refresh your memory. I'm now again a member of SCCA and may be running my car once again. So I am once again faced with the situation of using a roll bar that I believe is unsafe because of requirements of SCCA. I don't expect a change at this time, but I do periodically want to make clear to SCCA and their directors that over the past 20 years I have amassed a great deal of evidence that shows clearly SCCA as a corporation, and many of the directors are aware of the deficiencies in the design they require the production cars to use. As I've stated in the past, if there is an accident that results in the injury of an SCCA driver that can be attributed to the deficiencies in the roll bar design, I will assist in any way I can to help that individual or their heirs sue SCCA corporation and SCCA directors individually for criminal negligence in this manner, criminal negligence being defined as prior knowledge and allowing a dangerous situation to continue. In the many years I have pursued this, I've consulted with a number of attorneys and the general consensus is that a very strong case could be made that SCCA and certain directors were aware of the problem and allowed it to persist. If you have any doubts about this, I suggest you call Pete Lyons. I have made the effort a number of times to meet with Pete personally to get his point of view, and he has absolutely refused to talk with me about it. Pete is scared to death of this subject. He knows the evidence that would be presented at any legal proceedings and I am convinced he wants nothing to do with defending against it. If you have any doubt about this, please feel free to call Erik Skirmants. I'm quite sure he will confirm my efforts with regards to Pete. If you have any questions or would like me to supply you with any of the information I have, including a list of drivers that have been injured, it all is documented on SCCA letterhead, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to send copies. Also, I have supplied all relevant copies to Steve Harris since he was elected.

One thing is sure: in racing, people get hurt. And I think inevitably, as in the past, someone will be injured in a production car and there is a very high likelihood that his injuries will be compounded by the deficiencies in the SCCA mandated roll bar design. Legally and practically, this problem can be solved for SCCA and I don't understand why SCCA has not addressed it properly. This letter will serve as legal notice in this matter.

Thank you for your time.

Lets NOT go back to the "Gold Seal" or grandfathered cages. IT always limited by number of attaching points, and it could only go up to the firewall, not through it.

Prod allowed those to attach to the upper shock towers, and there is no max number of attaching points.

Do you really want to go back to a Hardy Prentice style "cage" in his TR3? I know I wouldn't want to.

I also remember a certain SS Mazda that had WAY too many bends in the main hoop, and when he flipped it @ Road Atlanta, needless to say, it collapsed, and he was seriously injured. That's when SCCA demanded the diagonal bar in the main hoop. I think this was in the mid to late 90's. That same re-configuration, I think was the problem with the 914's, since they didn't have the room to add this diagonal.

Rick, most of the drivers you mention in your post, died due to basal skull fracture, and this problem was fixed with the Head and Neck restraint systems. The cage had nothing to due with it. It's the fact that your head weighs as much as a bowling ball, and when the car goes from 180 mph to 0 in only a few feet, physics takes over.

What issue are you trying to solve Rick?

I think Rick is genuinely concerned about the safety of his (and other) roll bars.

Also have a copy of the ALTAIR report. Unsure how the original criteria was established, but instead of changing the criteria, or the cage design, the SCCA just IGNORED the report. I still can't believe the SCCA continues to ignore the findings of this report and stays (rigidly) with a design shown to fail their own criteria. Saw a Prod. car with forward braces that turned 90* and ran about 6" into the main hoop uprights. Totally legal; completely useless. First year Engineering student could show how ineffective these braces are.

As Rick mentions, these nonsensical rules are unique to Prod. cars. Main hoops must be 1 piece, but the SCCA's own SRF has a hoop extension scabbed on to the top of the main hoop. Originally called a tall man extension, this crude fabrication technique is still used on NEW SRFs. Visualize a prod. roadster (or many formula cars) with typical (legal) forward bracing upside down in an ARMCO barrier. NO frontal protection!

Incomprehensive, inconsistent rules with no substantiated reasoning.

Rick; not optimistic about your cause. Think that boat has sailed. But believe you've been right all the time.

RJS

saw

I went through the roll cage 'du jour' gyrations and now have a cage that, if inverted, I doubt that I could get out of the car until it is righted. The cause is the extra bar on the passenger side. I was very comfortable driving a S2 faster than my FP car will ever go and with much larger cars (AS and GT1).

Tim
To address your questions.
1st the "Gold Seal" or grandfathered cages, this became a problem because of the new rule enacted in the 90s and was not an issue before with the old rules. There was nothing wrong with 99%of the older cages it just was they did not meet the overkill requirements of the new rule set.

2nd
The whole controversy with the through the firewall and number of attachments was short lived and was resolved quickly in production racing , I was an interested party at the time so I remember it. I can't talk to what was happening in other class's. There was an effort to restrict what could be done in the early 70s but as evidenced by the cars built by Sharp, Huffacker and soon every one else in the mid 70s this was resolved in favor of full, any thing you wanted to do with your roll cage designs. By the 1980s and on in to the 90s there was never any questions about this subject.

3rd
You are right about the type of injury's to the drivers I listed but in every case I read about the drivers also impacted a roll cage bar, most times listed as the one over the windshield. That's why I listed those drivers specifically. I don't take any comfort speculating whether they were dead at point of impact of not. I just know I want to avoid doing it. The list of SCCA drivers that have been injured hitting there head on their roll bars is extensive. Some of these impacts have been unavoidable as it happened with main hoops but others have been with bars that are only mandated by the present rule set and serve no good purpose.

As to what I want? I thought I was clear about it. I want the freedom to race using a bar I feel safe under. The mandated design has too many bars close to a drivers head. It is also a liability issue with SCCA, I am convinced they know it but as with many big organizations they don't want to address it. But SCCA , and some directors too. may have to one day and then we can all pay for yet another lost lawsuit we won't get to hear about.

Thanks Rick for the clarification.

The one issue I have is the change in the window net mounting. Now it has to attach at the bottom. They reference it "throwing it on the roof" which isn't acceptable.

So, in the event that you're upside down, instead of the net dropping out of your way (Attached at the top) you have the possibility (With your HANS) that you'll get hung up in the net crawling out of the car.

They just made it harder to exit the vehicle when it's inverted.

Totally backwards if you ask me.

Rick -

With all due respect, please give it up. You are harming Prod and SCCA, not helping.

The current roll cage rules may not be perfect (what is?) but they are surely adequate. No one is stopping you from building a cage with stronger materials and more bracing if you think it's too weak, and the currently mandated H&N devices stop head impact with forward tubes much better than previously.

I don't have any direct knowledge of the studies that you cite, but using your own logic, where are the injuries/deaths over te past 20 years (?) of the SCCAs mandated cage that prove it defective?

Threats against SCCA are not, IMO, threats against the President and the BOD, they are threats against all of us and I for one don't appreciate it. Furthermore, if we think maybe the BOD would rather be rid of Prod, one has to wonder which individuals prompted that thought?

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Since I wasn't around SCCA in the 80s and 90s, I have to ask, what part of the current set of cage rules are "not safe"? If it were up to Rick, how would you change the cage rules?

Al
I understand there will be differing points of view on this, there always has been. Yours clearly is to accept the club mandated roll cage design with out complaint [ maybe you don't have any}. I however do not , nor have I ever sat quietly when I see some thing I disagree with, as in the case with the SCCA cage design. It isn't just that it is a bad design , it is also the way the rule was enacted that lead to the problems. It was done behind close doors cloaked in lies and misrepresentation. You say you have not read any of the internal SCCA documents about this matter, maybe you should, I think it would open your eyes to how many things are done within SCCA.Yes, it is true that it is possible to build a stronger cage then the one in the GCR but it is not possible to eliminate the offending bars that I think are a danger to my well being. If you don't agree with me you are free to build a cage with the bars as close to your head as you want but I , under the current rule have little choice in the matter. And I would like a choice, which is what a alternative cage design rule would allow for, Does that seem unreasonable? You have what you want to feel safe and so do I.

As to the "threats" There is none, nothing can be done to SCCA or any Director until and unless a driver is hurt and it can be shown the SCCA bar contributed to the injury. I believe there is a very good possibility that might happen and I have informed the responsible officers at SCCA. I would like to see the BOD take action to avoid any future liability in this matter and at the same time afford the opportunity for myself and other like minded races to build a cage structure that they can feel as safe in as you do yours. Contrary to your comments I think I am acting in the best interests of the club and myself.

Rick, could you post your drawings of the cage you propose? Is it for an open cockpit, or a tin top?

Not being anything but inquisitive.

Tim,

I am not sure how to do that, I am a little backward with computer tech stuff. I have The engineering report and drawing and it is all on file at SCCA. Has been since the 90s. Keep in mind I do not advocate any particular cage proposal , just the reinstatement of a rule that was in the GCR for 30 years that allows alternative designs that the builder can show pass's the design criteria in the rule. Which I repeat the current SCCA design does not. The fact that the club recommends the use a design the fails the load tests and doesn't allow me use of a design that pass them all just mystifies me. No one sees a law suit just waiting from that?

racer_tim":2o2r7oju said:
Rick, could you post your drawings of the cage you propose? Is it for an open cockpit, or a tin top?

Not being anything but inquisitive.

This is in reference to open cockpit cars, not closed cockpit cars.

Chuck,

If you want to see pictures of the bar I prefer go to " http://www.sportsandimports.biz ". But please keep in mind I do not advocate any specific bar design for any one, an alterative bar design rule is not a one size fits all like what SCCA has now. It would allow different and original Ideas to cage building as long as it pass's the structural tests SCCA at one time required until they found out their design had failed. Which was why SCCA got rid of the alt. bar rule [along with the load requirement specs] in the 1st place . It was clearly an embarrassment to SCCA to have load specs in the GCR their own bar could not meet. The bar design on the web site meets ALL the load requirement specs once listed in the GCR. There are many different designs that will meet the requirements but amazingly the SCCA bar isn't one of them.

Do you guys remember a few years ago at Mid Ohio when a known H production car went upside down in China sea. Do you remember reading the exact thoughts the driver had when upside down? Which roll cage SCCA or Haynes sinks faster/deeper in pea gravel like #3's home track? Nuff said.

David
I always enjoy the "Nuff said." kind on comment because it usually follows a statement the author believers is the ultimate authority in a matter,, and yet it seldom does. Is it possible there might be other factors in the performance of a roll cage that are more important ? Like being able to get out of a inverted car unassisted? Try doing that in a car with a SCCA cage, in the gravel on not. Every year the number of corner workers is less, I have been to races where not all the corner stations are manned any more. In such cases the ability to get out of a upended car on your own would be important to me, maybe not to you, But you have the option for your preference and and I do not. I am not an expert on what David Dewhusrt thinks is important to keep him safe in a race car,,, nor are you for me.

RICK HAYNES":3i2ww5dv said:
David
Like being able to get out of a inverted car unassisted?

The "nuff said" is with reference to a real situation in pea gravel.

With your cage design, could you get out before the cage sunk in the pea gravel China sea at Mid Ohio?

RJS, do you remember the words that came out of this H production car drivers mouth?

I do not recall the incident. Clearly a full or 1/2 bar would not sink as much but I don't think a single loop would sink enough to cause a problem. I have seen the single on all kinds of race cars [ including most of the cars built by SCCA enterprises] and it doesn't look to me to have been a concern. Plus with a single loop bar the car leans to the non driver side leaving even more room to get out.

I looked at rollcages at sportandimports under chassis and body panels. Of the two cages it shows I like bottom one better. Top one looks a little fragile to me, but sure would be light. Just my opinion.
Chuck

Chuck
That is one on the advantages to a alt. bar rule , you don't have to race with a bar you think is fragile and I would not have to race with a bar I think might cause me a head injury. sound like a win /win to me, but it is never that simple . The real opposition to a Alt bar rule has nothing to do with safety and I am very surprised none of the people that were involved with this years ago hasn't weighed in. But maybe there is no need because In the end the proponents of the new rule got most of what they wanted and the real underlining reason for the changes in the roll bar rule in the 90s does cast doubt on the motives of those involved.

Back