SCCA Endurance racing?

https://www.scca.com/articles/2015593-e ... or-comment

Initial Enduro Class and Technical Rules Released

October 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM EnduroFollow

Sports Car Club of America has released a proposed technical and class rule set for its new national Enduro program and is looking for feedback before final presentation to the SCCA Board of Directors and approval in December.

The 2022 SCCA Team Endurance National Championship is set to launch March 30–April 2 at Sebring International Raceway and will be followed by a collection of National Tour “pilot” events to be announced at a later date.

Developed by the Endurance Racing Board (ERB), the ruleset for modified production-based cars is designed to reduce confusion and the need for extensive compliance checks. Unlike SCCA’s other programs, where ultimate lap time potential is the most critical component in determining the finishing order, the rules are built with the awareness that preserving equipment, reducing time in the pits, flawless execution and strategy are the most critical elements in winning an endurance competition.

During the past 10 months, the ERB has evaluated several different methodologies toward classification, including individual vehicle spec lines, point systems, power-to-weight, bracket formats, etc. Each has its merits and challenges. Ultimately, to develop a program that can be deployed by SCCA Regions with consistency and fairness across the country, the following path was chosen.

Class Philosophy and Background
SCCA Enduro will include four classes, each with a maximum tire size (200 treadwear minimum), fuel capacity and adjusted displacement limit. The class, or classes, in which a car will be eligible to compete is based on the base displacement of the engine in the vehicle, with adjustments to that displacement based on performance modifications to the drivetrain, suspension and/or aerodynamics. This “adjusted” displacement then determines the lowest class eligible. The team can run in that class or any (faster) class above it based on the desired tire size and fuel capacity.

The goal is that teams can do almost anything to their production-based car and nearly every vehicle within the performance window will have a spot to participate.

Looks good . Points based. Only issues is that steering locks are required to be removed. Do B spec and T3,4 cars remove their locks?
Also , nobody mounts the master switches outside anymore . Most are dash center and in reach of the driver. A cable to said MS would solve this maybe .
No mention of pit stop times or restriction.

A few quick comments:

The forced induction penalty is too extreme and needs some tweaking- not everyone will max the forced induction, especially for endurance use.
My STU car- Scion FRS w/ Jackson racing supercharger kit, coilovers, wing, and splitter, is beyond the limits. If I remove the supercharger, the car is eligible for E4. Add the supercharger based on STU rules yet it only it makes ~285whp and ~200 torques and gets pulled on the straights by AS and T3 cars. This doesn't smell right to me.

also, the rules state
Detachable hardtops and detachable panels (sunroofs) shall be removed.

SM hard tops are bolted in place, but are still technically "detachable" since it's only a few screws and brackets to remove them. I suggest adding an explainer similar to whatever is in the book for SM hardtop installation requirements so that SM and similar cars with those types of bolted-in hardtops are clearly legal.

Greg Amy":4ogbkc5a said:
https://www.scca.com/articles/2015593-enduro-ruleset-released-for-comment

October 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM EnduroFollow

Sports Car Club of America has released a proposed technical and class rule set for its new national Enduro program and is looking for feedback before final presentation to the SCCA Board of Directors and approval in December.

The 2022 SCCA Team Endurance National Championship is set to launch March 30–April 2 at Sebring International Raceway and will be followed by a collection of National Tour “pilot” events to be announced at a later date.

Developed by the Endurance Racing Board (ERB), the ruleset for modified production-based cars is designed to reduce confusion and the need for extensive compliance checks. Unlike SCCA’s other programs, where ultimate lap time potential is the most critical component in determining the finishing order, the rules are built with the awareness that preserving equipment, reducing time in the pits, flawless execution and strategy are the most critical elements in winning an endurance competition.

During the past 10 months, the ERB has evaluated several different methodologies toward classification, including individual vehicle spec lines, point systems, power-to-weight, bracket formats, etc. Each has its merits and challenges. Ultimately, to develop a program that can be deployed by SCCA Regions with consistency and fairness across the country, the following path was chosen.

Class Philosophy and Background
SCCA Enduro will include four classes, each with a maximum tire size (200 treadwear minimum), fuel capacity and adjusted displacement limit. The class, or classes, in which a car will be eligible to compete is based on the base displacement of the engine in the vehicle, with adjustments to that displacement based on performance modifications to the drivetrain, suspension and/or aerodynamics. This “adjusted” displacement then determines the lowest class eligible. The team can run in that class or any (faster) class above it based on the desired tire size and fuel capacity.

The goal is that teams can do almost anything to their production-based car and nearly every vehicle within the performance window will have a spot to participate.

Will EVERYBODY get a trophy???

The rules are engine size based only with no correction for HP. IE if you can fit 205 tires to your Honda S 2000, it fits E4 ,the slowest class.
No provision for legal SCCA cars as is. IE the T 4 class does not require the steering lock be removed. I must have missed the great steering lock wreck of 1992 or something but requiring removal seems needless today .
I had another group state that zip tieing in the key disables the steering lock and would satisfy their rule .

The only SCCA group interested was the B spec crowd , as the cars may run well and cost about 200$ per hr . They are simply classed out of contention.
Current Champcar Miatas run 245/45/15 tires on 9 wide , often they get 20 hrs per set. The 205 tires wear much faster and cost more per race. My truck had 315 rear tires. and ran 30 hrs on them .

Maybe I missed something??
Other very successful groups take the HP and divide by weight, add on some weight for aero stuff and break up the cars by the pound per HP. Seems like the most logical classing solution.
Still no fueling protocol , pit times, etc.

Oh , You must "apply" to enter??
I dont see much cross over from other sanctions with this rule set and mind set. Enlighten me . Yes, I offered my resume , of endurance racing for the last 25 yrs.MM

FWIW I sent a letter requesting a power to weight based classing with the slowest class based on B spec PTW values.
I ' d hate to see this die without a chance ..

Just off the phone with them.
" These guys know what their doing" What guys?? Nobody that has raced would put those rules out.
" Were gunna try it this way and see if anyone shows up. ""

No B Specs, No T 3 or 4 cars, What other cars fit any of the rules?
My Son says that a Honda Civic SI, Miata 2.0 , all have a sub 14 gal tank and could run E 4 , if you could get 205 tires on it.
Rubbish .

This is not intended to be an offshoot of Club Racing (good or bad).

It's not even being managed by the same team (good or bad).

It's going to be its own standalone program, responding to the market (good or bad) with appropriate adjustments.

If you come at it from an SCCA Club Racing expectation, you're going to be disappointed.

If you come at it from a Chump/Lemons/WRL/whatever expectation, you're likely going to be disappointed.

Mind open. Let's see what happens.

It'll either stand or fall.

AS stoopid as it looks. I think that we are gunna try the first race . WE dont have a master cutoff and the steering lock is staying in the car for now. It is a T 4 car . AC works, radio works ,owner does not.
WE could use a funded driver of course. Depending on race times and such . 500$ per hr. ??

The tire sizes changed. E 4 is now at 225. More inline with standard sizes.
In other news. We have asked to register a car a little over a week ago with NA.
I guess that you have to ask to enter the race? Should I include a 20$ bill?

Championship race is cancelled. Rounds run by regions are expected to be held this year. I expect classing will evolve to meet market demand.

Steve Eckerich":32xdkvb0 said:
Championship race is cancelled. Rounds run by regions are expected to be held this year. I expect classing will evolve to meet market demand.
IMO, they've made the process so difficult and different than others that the demand has suddenly dried up.

at the last 4hr enduro we did here, it was basically done by bracket times establishing a class. break out more than a couple laps and they move you up a class. suuuuuper simple. pay entry fee, show up, have fun.

the SCCA is hard at work finding ways to muck that up.

Back