Scattershield for an '84 CRX

Darryl Saylor

I need to put a scattershield on my CRX. The engine is in the car so putting it in the engine compartment will be difficult. I thought about putting it from the right side of the gas pedal to the right side of the indention at the center of the firewall. Anybody got any suggestions on size and location for an '84 to '87 CRX.
Thanks

9.3.40. SCATTERSHIELDS/CHAIN GUARDS
The installation of scattershields or explosion-proof bell housings shall be
required on all cars (except Spec Miata, Touring and Improved Touring)
where the failure of the clutch or flywheel could create a hazard to the
driver. Chain drive cars shall be fitted with a protective case/shield to
retain the chain in case of failure.
Minimum material specifications are:
.125 inch SAE 4130 alloy steel
.250 inch mild steel plate
.250 inch aluminum alloy
NHRA or SFI approved flexible shields.

Since I'm switching it from ITC to HP. and it could come back into the cockpit. Probably straight back down the center of the car but possibly. Do most front wheel drive cars not have them?

I hope for my sake you do not need one. I know I do not have one in my car and I am pretty sure none of the other HP front drive cars do.

We have a factory bell housing and a firewall. Trans is located on the right side so a clutch explosion would not impact the left drivers side inside the car.

Jim C., do you want to weigh in on this one?

I agree, in order for the flywheel to be a threat you would need to be sitting on the passenger side of the cockpit. Plus the flywheel would need to get through the diff, axle, CV joint, cross member, etc. If you were really concerned about it, you could weld a thin piece of chromoly to the firewall inline with the bell housing. There are some cars that have a fully exposed bell housing, but FWD Hondas aren't that car.

I can't see any reason why you would need to do this on a Honda. The clutch & flywheel are in the engine bay, not in a trans/driveshaft tunnel, where they pose no real threat to the driver, and they're fully enclosed in a bell housing that's probably .250" aluminum.

Thanks Everybody.

Just don't want to drive 8 1/2 hours to VIR and be told that I can't race. I'm going to take my headlights and turn signals so I can try to switch it back to ITC just incase. I tried going through it like a Tech inspection and I missed the scattershield. I have one on both my Spridgets.

Nearly 20 years ago I was racing a Datsun and due to some dodgy wiring had the starter motor engage at 9000 rpm between shifting from 3rd to 4th. The explosion lifted my car and the car I was passing off the track. It actually straightened the ring gear out and when I walked back up the track I thought it was a broken fan belt. The car was an ex US SCCA car and was left hand drive which was lucky for me , for if I had been sitting on the normal side for us Kiwis I would have lost my feet..For the record the flywheel did'nt get damaged I had made it from high strength alloy steel plate and survived without a scratch. See photo below.:eek:
1265.jpg
original text link: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... 297/page-4

While the liklihood of a clutch/flywheel explosion is relatively low, the consequences are high. If you have a RWD car where the flywheel is anywhere near your feet or a FWD car with the trans on the driver's side, you'd be smart to protect yourself. At the RPM our engines turn (even an LP car turning 6000rpm), a 10lb flywheel carries a HUGE amount of energy. if one of those guys lets go, an aluminum bellhousing and a thin sheet metal trans tunnel/firewall is not going to do much but slow things down. There's almost absolutely no containment with a cast aluminum bellhousing that shatters on impact.

Well, in a FWD VW, the clutch/flywheel also have to go through the steering rack before it would come through the firewall and get to my feet. I don't think this is a problem, at least in a FWD VW car.

So I walked out after work and looked.

Straight back it would have to go through the starter, then the diff, then go through the transmission mount. More than likely it would just skim down the transmission mount into the passenger floorboard.

If it came up, it would take out the thermostat housing, then through the hood and into the windshield.

So I think I'm good. I just get a little nervous when annual tech's come around. I went to Atlanta in '92 with my Spridget. I was not going to be let on the track unless I had a spring on the dipstick. Luckily I had an extra spring.

Thanks everybody sorry for causing any issues.

I'm thinking of installing a scattershield on the BMW after this years Runoffs. With 1 lap to go on the backstraight my flywheel/flexplate grenaded. The housing was 1/4" German aluminum and one of the pieces was half way through the bellhousing. It makes one rethink their position, of course this was at 8500 RPM's.
Kevin Leigh

I made one for my car several years ago when a tech inspector said I needed one. I haven't used it for years but I always have it with me. I can take a picture of it and show how it bolts on if anyone's interested.

Back