RX7 fuel cell size

Bill Meyer

My 1st gen has a 15 gallon cell. It's WAY too big. I typically use less than 8 gallons with the 12A. I will eventually have a 13B in the car. How much gas would I expect to use with that (carbed)? I think a 10 gallon cell will be adequate. A 12 gallon will, i believe, just give me an opportunity to leave too much gas in the car at race end.
Your experience?
Thanks!

With a smaller tank, you will need to insure you can adequately pick up the last 1/2 gallon of gas. Use 2 fuel pick ups, 2 fuel pumps, with check valves on each. Use something to create a peak under the center floor of your bladder, with the pick ups in the corner.

I seem to always get about 4mpg with any car I ran on the track, B/S (510), B/P, GT1, IT, or E/P.

When exiting the infield at Charlotte I had problems picking up the last 6 gallons because the cornering forces would move the fuel to the far right side of the cell. My only fuel pick up was on the left side. Was nearly on the flat back straight, exiting NASCAR T2, before I was able to recover any fuel pressure.

If you run a smaller fuel cell, move it as far away from the muffler as possible. I eventually had to replace the fuel cell bladder. It was too close to the lava rock muffler. The residual heat would heat perk the bladder after I got back to the trailer. It eventually blistered the bladder and caused it to leak. Never realized what was happening until refueling one day. Ended my weekend. Try to mount the bottom of the cell level with the rear valance or just slightly below it. It may slightly improve your aero drag.

I would go no smaller than 12. I have 13b 1st gen. I finish with 1-3 gallons depending on how hard I push and the type of track (% time at wot)

Karl McColl":1f5mblia said:
I would go no smaller than 12. I have 13b 1st gen. I finish with 1-3 gallons depending on how hard I push and the type of track (% time at wot)

I agree, go 12. Even with my 12a, I use 8+ gallons especially at the roval tracks.

I had the same issue John had. Lost a bladder last year at HPR. During attempted temporary repair, the foam got moved around enough that pieces of it entered my fuel system causing all kinds of problems. I now have quite a bit of insulation on the hot side of the cell.

Back