Rules Nerds a hypothetical for you.

jdh

(it is not really hypothetical as a competitor ask if he could do this)

Say I have a really quick FP Miata and I want to qualify for the runoffs in both FP and EP. Given that in SOWDIV the are both in the same run group, can I pay two entry fees and run the car in both classes at the same time?

(He was not happy with the answer I gave him.)
Just checking to see if there would be some way within the existing GCR rules that would allow him to do so. An extra entry fee is an extra entry.

Pretty sure the answer is no
That being said, some years back, I saw a guy start in HP - pit, change letters to FP and transponders got the start in HP that he needed and the finish/points in FP.

Jerry

Say I have a really quick FP Miata and I want to qualify for the runoffs in both FP and EP. Given that in SOWDIV the are both in the same run group, can I pay two entry fees and run the car in both classes at the same time?

No - per the GCR

6.4.1 General
A. 1 car in a class shall constitute a class. A car may not compete in
more than one race class in the same race group.

HTH

Terry

No is what I said. He was going to call Topeka and have them tell how wrong I was. Have not heard from him or Topeka in over a month.

FIAT90FP":2etqjpij said:
That being said, some years back, I saw a guy start in HP - pit, change letters to FP and transponders got the start in HP that he needed and the finish/points in FP.

Hmmmm.....I seem to remember someone doing that.

At a time when you could use all the entry fees you could get, why not. Aside from the rule. In other words is the rule outdated.
Chris

I have heard of a lone entry in one class getting moved into another race group in order to accommodate someone in the same situation.

All this happened a number of years ago. After careful reading of the GCR, it was determined by an entrant, the a car could be entered in 2 different classes in the same race group. The entrant had a discussion with the Executive Steward of the division at the race prior to the actual entry being made. The Exec agreed with the entrant on his reading of the rule, but disagreed with the concept. At the next race, the entrant worked with the CS prior to entering the second class. The CS also agreed with the entrant and the second entry was made.

A member of the SOM protested the decision of the CS to allow the entry and the SOM court held a hearing and agreed with the CS and the entrant, and the car ran in both HP and GT5. Then the entrant appealed the decision of the SOM to the COA to get a ruling that would be valid for the rest of the year. The COA agreed with the first court and upheld its decision to allow both entries. The entrant went on to win both classes in the division and ran both classes at that years Runoffs.

The club office was not in agreement with the decision of both courts and lobbied the BOD to change the rule, which they did, preventing this from happening in the future.

Big loss for the regions, loosing an additional entry, and for drivers who had cars that would qualify for more than one class, yet meet ALL the rules for both classes.

I believe it was Joe Huffaker who did a class change in the pits at a National at Phoenix. one year.

And the protesting SOM? He decided he had enough of SCCA and quit.

Any chance said driver could be given a waiver from SCCA to run the car in both classes at runoffs with enough entries in one class?

considering the situation, I'd allow it if I were me.

Then again, we've had a bazillion national races locally-- if he'd run all season, he would have had enough nat races to qualify in both classes. :\

Matt,
He made a late season decision to do the second class and the number of remaining nationals was limited.

He'd better start driving then!
Eagles canyon has a race July 28/29
Miller aug 4/5,
MSRH Sept 1-2

so there's 6 nationals he can make before Runoffs.

Just a thought. ;)

Or ...

Motorsports Park Hastings (NE) Aug 18/19 - might be closer than Miller to Texas.

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

FIAT90FP":1mm7f36x said:
That was Bill Blusts brilliant idea when I needed a start in Hp and a Finish in FP. I would have had the HP lap record at La Junta but we had switched to FP at the time.

Ron Walker did the HP/GT5 combo in his Datsun 1200. Huffaker only ran GT5 and FP, and at that time the Midget wasn't classified in GT nor the Mini in FP.

Even with those races left, you have to have a certain # of races in division. I don't think you can change divisions after the 3rd national in either the incoming or outgoing division.

I think Terry Rohr used to do it with his HP/GP/FP/GT4 Rabbit all the time, untill the rules changed.
I blame him... :lol:

Isn't it one of the club racing etiquitte "no nos" that you do not race/block people in other classes? How would that apply here?
How would the car be marked?
How would the workers know?

My other big concern was keeping things straight in T&S. It's not like this division does not have enough problems in that specialty as it is.

jdh":20ca6p7b said:
My other big concern was keeping things straight in T&S. It's not like this division does not have enough problems in that specialty as it is.

Amen to that one. If it's Zach + Nadja + the full team, I could see it happening.
If it's Reb and I up there? NOT GONNA WORK. ;)

Matt93SE":17pv7tqo said:
jdh":17pv7tqo said:

Amen to that one. If it's Zach + Nadja + the full team, I could see it happening.
If it's Reb and I up there? NOT GONNA WORK. ;)

It would appear I don't have to worry about Reb anymore. He told the Exec Stew he would never work another Lone Star event.

Back