rollcage question

Joe Harlan

Not wanting to start a firestorm here just have a question regarding a car I have in the shop. 1967 Datsun 2000 raced since new or close to new. I have an original logbook with number but all of the books in between are gone. The car was last raced in 1989 so I assume the cage was grandfathered back in the day. Before I present this thing to a west coast tech guy that knows little about old rules and only wants to issue a vintage logbook, I thought I might ask here what I need to do to minimize changes to the car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

I just looked at a GT4 510 for a customer that last ran back in the early 90s. The cage was missing the harness bar in the main hoop, it had two door bars on both sides, etc. Expect to have to add door bars and harness bar. It seems like there was a different philosophy back in the day.

Does the car still have a windshield? Does it use a half width cage?

Brett W":khbz5vj8 said:
I just looked at a GT4 510 for a customer that last ran back in the early 90s. The cage was missing the harness bar in the main hoop, it had two door bars on both sides, etc. Expect to have to add door bars and harness bar. It seems like there was a different philosophy back in the day.

Ummm, how many door bars are required today? My STU car only has 2 horizontal door bars with I think 3 verticals between the span..

Matt93SE":rl3l1vew said:
Brett W":rl3l1vew said:

Ummm, how many door bars are required today? My STU car only has 2 horizontal door bars with I think 3 verticals between the span..

2. I have noticed a lot of older cars only had one, especially on the passenger side. I have know idea what Joe's car looks like, but if it is as old as he says it may have only one.

Joe, my suggestion to anyone that has a question about an older car being rejuvenated is to contact a local tech inspector and see if he will come look over the car and let you know what might be needed.

I've had several requests to do this in metro Atlanta and have tried to help head off a lost weekend at the track. And I've also inspected several cars at the track that have been turned down because they were not up to date on safety requirements. The most common of which is not having two horizontal bars in each door, a cage with too many bends in the down bar, belts with too much angle, no head restraints and seats not mounted properly.

Of course, I've also inspected brand new Trans AM cars that were built with the wrong size tubing. Those were expense errors.

Most tech guys will come out for a nominal fee of cash or beer.

Looking forward to seeing all the west coast prod guys at the Runoffs.
Save yourself some grief by checking the spoiler rules and get rid of the duct tape holding fender panels together. And be sure your kill switch really will kill your car. Checked your brake lights lately? Only 6 more weeks til the fun.

Back