Roebling Road - Tom Nehl National 2/26/12

KIBock

Tony Drum, Austin Healey Sprite, set a new HP track record with 1:21.216
The previous record holder with 1:21.529 was Adam Malley, Honda Civic.

Congratulations Tony!

I meant to post the results this morning but didn't have time to. Tony was one happy man when he got this information yesterday too. :applause:

It was kinda cold this past weekend too, I think the air temp was around 40 deg when we started our group one race yesterday. I had just enough tape in there (behind :wink: the grill & screen) to keep the temperatures right where I wanted them. Not a huge turnout, no EP cars, 4 FP, 6 HP and 1 GTL but other than being cold the weather was really nice, no rain this year (Sat/Sun anyway).
I didn't have the official results sheet when I left Sunday, but this is from the provisional sheet, I don’t think anything should have changed with the prod results however.
FP
1 Ken Kanard 1:17.33 Miata
2 Charles Coker 1:20.26 Porsche Speedster
3 Glenn Cameron 1:24.27 Midget
4 Austin Britton 1:19.95 Super Seven (14 laps)

HP
1 Jay Griffin 1:22.62 CRX
2 Tony Drum 1:21.21 Sprite (new track record)
3 Richard May 1:28.66 Sprite
Mike Miller, Ken Franke, and Pat Simpson were listed DNF.

GTL
1 Robert Lentz II 1:17.15 Sentra SER

Tony had the pole but we must have swapped positions at least three times during the race for various reasons, well mine were anyway. He told me after the race that his fuel pumps were acting up sporadically and I inadvertently hit the low pressure fuel pump switch once. Which is how he got around me the first time. After I got back around him again we were both being held up by a STU and STL car that just did NOT want to let us by. :roll: Tony finally followed Lentz past one of them when they were lapping us. Tony got by both of them but it took me two more laps to get around both of them. Then I lost it in turn 9. I later was told by Bob Lentz that he had lost a bolt from his rear end and was dropping oil and it could have been his. The way the car so suddenly snapped sideways on me I think it must have been but I had two square front tires after I got going again. Figured Tony was long gone by that time (he was) but I also noticed Richard Mays Sprite parked in the tire wall at the end of pit straight when I got going again...now we had a FCY.

When we got the green I was swarmed by STL Miatas and didn't want to push it with square tires but coming onto the front straight after two laps I noticed Tony going a lot slower again. I passed him out of turn 2 and was able to shake, rattle and roll around the rest of the lap ahead of him to see the checker out :mrgreen: ...he was literally on my bumper at the finish.

Even though he didn't win the race, I don't think I've ever seen him as excited as he was when he got the news of regaining the track record there. It was pretty cool to see. :applause:

Jay,
Thanks for the update. Congrat on your win and also congrats to Tony for the new track record. Since his heart transplant Tony has been driving like his beard was on fire, I wondered where it went. Looks like he might be a real P.I.A. this season. Looking forward to it. Business is a little slow for me to justify spending $ racing yet this year but I might enter the Atlanta Double just to get a good seat to watch you and Tony.
Regards,
Keith Church

Keith Church":3gsuwl8m said:
Jay,
... but I might enter the Atlanta Double just to get a good seat to watch you and Tony.
Regards,
Keith Church

Thanks Keith, not sure if Tony will run Road Atlanta or not. I mentioned that I am going to try and make it there and he mentioned he may not go. I just registered this morning and noticed that a few more HP cars have entered, we now have four, one of which is a friend of mine (in another Honda) coming down from Wisconsin. :mrgreen:

Back