Recent outage

Darren Loher

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies for the recent outage. The board is back online. Thanks to those kind folks who emailed me about it being down.

I'd be happy to transfer all the digital assets to someone who is interested in managing and maintaining the message board. The service I'm using now costs about 15 to $20 a month, so not too bad. It is also low maintenance, but not zero maintenance. Probably someone with some skills and time could do a lot of great things for this community.

I haven't raced a production car since 2004 and stopped road racing in 2013. Family became the priority. I did get into autocrossing in 2021 and am still a SCCA member.

Darren

Thank you for all of your efforts and money to keep this going Darren.

I hope you make it back to Prod racing one day.

Until then, happy autocrossing. :applause:

Darren,
Any chance you have a PayPal account that folks could throw some coin your way? I know I'd be happy to help you out with a couple of bucks. If you'd prefer not to publicize it, please email me at [email protected].

Dayle

Darren, thanks!

I'd like to keep this going, as we're doing with the Improved Touring forum. While social media has taken over the world, the amount of braintrust, knowledge, and historical context in this place cannot be lost. Even if we just post it someplace as a static database/system, it's still very valuable.

I personally pay for the domain and DNS services for ImprovedTouring.com, and Ron Earp hosts it for free on his GT40S forum site. If you're willing, I can do the same for prodracing.com; I'd like to ask him if he'd be agreeable to doing that with this forum too. Can you please give me a rough idea of the size of the database?

Greg

Darren - Thank you for doing this. I have very little computer skills but i can, like Dayle, throw some coin your way!
EZ

Darren
You do the racing community a great service in keeping the site going and I would be happy to make a contribution to see it continue,, to you or to Greg should he take it over. Just supply an address or a PayPal account to send the money.

rick haynes

I talked to my IT person who does my website and ask about the level of expertise required to administrate a form such as this.
His answer was very little. Darren, could you tell what is involved with being the administrator, and maybe what happened last week and what you had to know and do to fix it?

rick

Greg Amy":37wwgo3t said:
Darren, thanks!

I'd like to keep this going, as we're doing with the Improved Touring forum. While social media has taken over the world, the amount of braintrust, knowledge, and historical context in this place cannot be lost. Even if we just post it someplace as a static database/system, it's still very valuable.

I personally pay for the domain and DNS services for ImprovedTouring.com, and Ron Earp hosts it for free on his GT40S forum site. If you're willing, I can do the same for prodracing.com; I'd like to ask him if he'd be agreeable to doing that with this forum too. Can you please give me a rough idea of the size of the database?

Greg

Hi, the database here is just under 50MB. The site is very low maintenance. @racer_tim helps with the message board administration and I keep the virtual machine and software running. This last outage was just due to my credit card expiration. Paid the bill and started up the VM and everything is ok.

This message board software is very outdated and the email relay is no longer working which makes password resets and all other features that use email not work. It's probably not that hard to fix but, well, it takes time!

Thanks to everyone who's offered to help with the cost. But the real limit for me is the time. Greg, if you'd be willing to take this over, I'll happily transfer the domain name and give you the database to host on your own setup..

Darren

Would suggest we have 2-3 people co-own this, so we have a backup in the event that the primary and secondary are unavailable. Avoids the situation that we are in now.

Darren, thanks.

I suggest that the regular conversations have moved on to social media, so my goal is to keep the historical info available, for as low maintenance and money as possible. Conversations can still happen here, of course.

For an example of what we did with the IT board, you can go to the below link. You'll note it's all there, the forum software is up to date, and we can accept/manage users/conversations. It costs darn near nothing, since I pay the domain fees and Ron Earp lets us host it on his GT40S servers at no charge. Ron is an improved touring guy who occasionally races in Prod; he has agreed to discuss hosting ProdRacing.com as well.

https://improvedtouring.com/

Darren, I sent some emails to an address I was told is yours; check for that and let's discuss offline on how/ehen/where to manage this. If you have not received those then let me know.

Greg

Stiner0931":1mdk3w6i said:
Would suggest we have 2-3 people co-own this, so we have a backup in the event that the primary and secondary are unavailable.
I had a nice detailed post that I lost. So you get the Cliff's Notes version lol

- It's not a matter of "ownership", it's a matter of someone staying alive (and available) to pay for it. Someone has to pay the ongoing domain name and DNS fees (I pay $19/yr for improved touring) and someone has to pay someone to host the database and to pay for the Vbulletin fees/maintenance/updates (I suppose you could build your own server, install yor own VBulletin, and move over the database. But that'll take some real dedication, create single points of failure, and increase those risks of failure).

I suppose one could set up an LLC to take on the responsibility to pay for the domain, hosting, and maintenance fees, and have multiple partners in it, but that seems a bit excessive (and not cost effective).

- Even if someone accepts that responsibilty, a process has to be in place to transfer that responsibility to someone else, should that person get hit by a bus (and/or have life intervene).

- Now, finally that it's functioning and being paid for, we can have multiple admins within the functioning forum to manage the day-to-day. But that's the easy bit, since the failure in our case was a failure of the first bit of paying, not administration. And that failure was not due to money, but to life intervening.

My offer is to take over paying for the domain/DNS fees (and bloody well yes I'll accept your donations and keep the funds saved for that purpose) and move the forum to the servers of GT40S which may host it for free. That still leaves the potential-bus-deaths of either me and/or Ron (GT40S) as the major risks for failure of the forum. I'm not sure I see a reasonable way around that risk, short of tossing money at it for a single-point hosting service.

Forums are not as easy as putting everything on a Facebook group (free to join, free to use, free to host, free to maintain, always backed up on multiple servers across the globe) and toss in a handful of admins (free to add/remove). That's just the way the technology is designed.

Kinda reminds me of the old Wildcat! BBS we used in the 80s: some guy would build a PC under his bed and we'd login via telephone line to transfer messages and discussions. His server would call the next city overnight to transfer the stuff and collect new stuff, then we'd check in the next day. Suddenly, the board stopped responding; for weeks we wondered if it would come back up. So someone got his phone number and called his house and his mum said, "oh yes, Jim went off to university last month and we shut that bloody noisy thing off."

Technology.

Hi, Darren.

I have agreement with Ron to host the prod racing forum on his platform at GT40S, where improved touring is. We'll have port the forum to a sandbox to upgrade it to the latest version, then copy it over. At that time we'll adjust the DNS records to point to the new system.

I'll need from you admin access for me and another account to the functions here, as well as agreement to transfer the domain and DNS registry to me. We can coordinate all that offline.

Let me know if you're still agreeable, and if there's fees that you've already paid we can absolutely refund that to you!

Thanks!

Greg
grega at pobox com

I agree with Greg that all the information needs to be dispersed so that when there is a failure in the system someone can be contacted to fix it. Whoever does take it on can't be expected to monitor it all the time
And the manager's contact information needs to be available to a lot of people now not after the site goes down and nobody knows who to call or e-mail
So Darren is that the situation now? or am I just misinformed?

Howdy all.
work finally re-allowed prodracing on my work computer. company had an "IT incident" several months ago and they blacklisted any and every public forum and file repository (dropbox, sharepoint, Google Docs, etc), and I don't have a personal PC at home anymore. who wants another damn computer when I spend >7yrs a day at a keyboard at work?

anyway, site is allowed now and I'm happy to help with the moderation duties in the background as I have been for a while. I recently shut down my hosted server of >15yrs because I wasn't using it anymore. admin of these forums isn't hard- I set up a half dozen of them- just takes a little time here and there and the main issues previously discussed are true-- what happens when the keymaster loses his keys or becomes disinterested? need a couple people with keys to the front door and at least a few more who know who holds said keys.

let me know how I can help.

Greg Amy":2y72bybo said:
Hi, Darren.

I have agreement with Ron to host the prod racing forum on his platform at GT40S, where improved touring is. We'll have port the forum to a sandbox to upgrade it to the latest version, then copy it over. At that time we'll adjust the DNS records to point to the new system.

I'll need from you admin access for me and another account to the functions here, as well as agreement to transfer the domain and DNS registry to me. We can coordinate all that offline.

Let me know if you're still agreeable, and if there's fees that you've already paid we can absolutely refund that to you!

Thanks!

Greg
grega at pobox com

Hi Greg, I'm interested and it seems like you've done a great job with the improved touring message board.
I'll contact you over email directly.

Update for all. Darren and I have talked, and he has graciously offered to hand the reigns over.

My goal is to retain this historical information and to keep the board alive. The details are yet to be worked out, but the general plan is to move the board to where improvedtouring.com and GT40S.com are hosted, convert it to VBulletin (same app as those sites) and then business as usual.

Nothing is happening immediately, we're still in the planning stages; the idea, of course, is to do it as invisibly as possible. We're not in any rush but I'll post here to keep you updated before anything changes.

GA

Back