rain light letter

Resurrecting this one from the (mostly) dead:

Watching the 2022 Runoffs, if was clear that some had strobing rain lights despite not being formula cars. One person even went so far as to wire their center mounted strobing light into the brake light circuit such that it would stop strobing and indicate braking.

Was any of this discussed at the Runoffs?

planet6racing":3t0zmxv6 said:
Resurrecting this one from the (mostly) dead:

Watching the 2022 Runoffs, if was clear that some had strobing rain lights despite not being formula cars. One person even went so far as to wire their center mounted strobing light into the brake light circuit such that it would stop strobing and indicate braking.

Was any of this discussed at the Runoffs?

Thanks You for bringing this back up because to me not allowing a flashing light for the rain light is just plain stupid as the whole idea is to be able to SEE the car in front of you. I also noticed that even after announcing that the rest of the weekend would require the rain light being on on Sat. I saw a lot of cars that had NO rain light visible.

A large portion of the field was without rain lights in the EP runoffs race - including the top runners.

I would say the method of information conveyance was less than ideal.

They texted the info, but I believe you would have only received IF and only IF you elected for text updates (not req'd per rules to be on the text string)

And they had a dry erase board on grid.

There should be something more "official" if you will for the declaration and subsequent requirement.

If any of the competitors had been black flagged, this woulda been a real silly way to mess up the race.

Well. We are all supposed to have them The grid info board would be the notice required most likely. The text / email crap is simply an extra , unless the supps say they are the word of the moment. IMHO

I think i've said this before when the rain light requirement came in.

I like the rain light requirement! I think it's great. I think the rule is so non-enforceable as written and while there is a requirement to have one there is no requirement that you actually have to use it.

It should state:
- light requirement as written followed by:
x.x.x.x - When a race is designated rain race by the CS the rain light shall be switched on. A notification of the designation of a rain race shall be given on the grid at the 5 min mark.

obviously like brake lights...if you whack something or they quit working black flag...something.

I understand we are supposed to have them, and I bet everyone did, that was not the argument. I believe there needs to be an addition to the rule related to the process of cascading the information to the drivers.

"chief steward declaring a race" does not outline how that information is deployed to the paddock.

Post it notes? carrier pigeons? white board? flag? Do they declare it and not tell anyone?

Get what I'm saying?

To add to that, I don't think grid is the right place, how do you manage a mid-race declaration? Wouldn't you want the potential to do that mid-race?

I think a board or flag or something of that nature displayed at the starter stand makes the most sense.

A session can ONLY be declared a “rain” session BEFORE the session starts…..this gives the grid time to swap tires (if they choose to) and prep for the conditions. This means you can’t signal to a group that is on track that its now a rain session.

The white board on grid was used for a variety of announcements (oil at T3, rain session, check transponders, etc.) and i thought it worked well.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":24nppj2h said:
A session can ONLY be declared a “rain” session BEFORE the session starts…..this gives the grid time to swap tires (if they choose to) and prep for the conditions. This means you can’t signal to a group that is on track that its now a rain session.

The white board on grid was used for a variety of announcements (oil at T3, rain session, check transponders, etc.) and i thought it worked well.

Dayle

I think this is one of those "your mileage may vary" arguments. The white board at the front of the grid stayed propped against the fence at ground level for the duration I was on grid for EP. I'd at least expect a whistle, and maybe a "MotoX 30 second board" type of attention brought to the sign - similar to the 5,3,1 minute grid calls.

There is no way the back of the field could see that information with the elevation of VIR's grid - maybe there was a second board? I don't know.

Maybe its my background or profession, but leave an important (safety) related process without definition to a variety of people and influences, and expect a lot of interpretation.

Watch the YouTube stream, count the lights that are on vs not - This would be my argument that there was confusion, lack of knowledge, or people are just plain not compliant.

chois":2gjbsubr said:
They walked the grid with a board for the HP race reminding us to turn on the rain light.

Sounds like maybe just like the drivers, grid was getting more used to rainlights as the weekend went on.

Just watched the Japanese GP where everyone had their flashing rain lights on. I don’t think its difficult to wire one up with a switch that’s driver accessible. Everything is available at Pegasus including a waterproof switch.
EZ

Erickz":1x8bjm0t said:
Just watched the Japanese GP where everyone had their flashing rain lights on. I don’t think its difficult to wire one up with a switch that’s driver accessible. Everything is available at Pegasus including a waterproof switch.
EZ
I am 99.9% sure that the F1 rain lights are controlled by the Race Director remotely. I know that they are in FIA Formula E and Indycar

Back