Race seat

The last I heard (from another forum) was that while SCCA doesn't necessarily police these types of things, the requirement is still on the competitor to maintain the certification.

If that means the FIA certification on the seat expires in 5 years, then the competitor is required to have the seat inspected and re-certify/homologate the seat to FIA standards, OR they can install a back brace and move on with life. It's either FIA certified or it's not. An expired FIA cert is invalid and thus trash. means nothing to the rules nerds. Just as useful as an expired coupon.

This is a very similar deal with fire systems and the bottles required to be inspected by a manufacturer/testing facility to maintain their SFI certs after some period of time. Just because SCCA isn't enforcing the rule doesn't mean that's not how it's written.

I'm not going to spend the minutes/hours/days to go back and read fastrack to mid-2010 for a loophole.. The GCR says the seat must have FIA homolgation/certification to be used without a back brace. If that FIA cert/homologation has expired due to age, then the seat isn't FIA rated anymore and needs a back brace. That's what the rule says in its current wording.

In practicality, I understand the reasoning behind not adding a back brace to seat that wasn't designed for one. HOWEVER, the wording of the rule is otherwise. caveat lector.

Matt93SE":1fwz3efk said:
The last I heard (from another forum) was that while SCCA doesn't necessarily police these types of things, the requirement is still on the competitor to maintain the certification.

If that means the FIA certification on the seat expires in 5 years, then the competitor is required to have the seat inspected and re-certify/homologate the seat to FIA standards, OR they can install a back brace and move on with life. It's either FIA certified or it's not. An expired FIA cert is invalid and thus trash. means nothing to the rules nerds. Just as useful as an expired coupon.

This is a very similar deal with fire systems and the bottles required to be inspected by a manufacturer/testing facility to maintain their SFI certs after some period of time. Just because SCCA isn't enforcing the rule doesn't mean that's not how it's written.

I'm not going to spend the minutes/hours/days to go back and read fastrack to mid-2010 for a loophole.. The GCR says the seat must have FIA homolgation/certification to be used without a back brace. If that FIA cert/homologation has expired due to age, then the seat isn't FIA rated anymore and needs a back brace. That's what the rule says in its current wording.

In practicality, I understand the reasoning behind not adding a back brace to seat that wasn't designed for one. HOWEVER, the wording of the rule is otherwise. caveat lector.

iWKad22.jpg

Sam,
I have pics of your car after that accident. I was working tech at RD Atlanta that day. If you don't mind I would share them with forum to show the results of the accident and its affect on the seat.

Brett, that would be fine with me. Glad to know there are some pics out there to show what CAN happen and killing a seat is a lot better than killing a driver!! Brian Butler examined that seat after the accident hoping to get some ideas for design improvements, but decided it functioned pretty well. That particular seat worked for a bunch of races in my ITB Volvos, ASedan Firebird and Camaro before going into the Tiger --no expiration date til the ultimate test. Glad you are OK Jon!!

Got an answer to my own question... Kirkey makes two styles of head side restraints that can be added to almost any seat.

Bob

Here are the pics of results of that impact.

This concerns me. I don't like seeing the head restraint permanently deform because of the potential for driver injury in the event of a secondary impact. The deflection of the shoulder supports is also an issue in that it puts more stress on driver's rib cage area, this could lead to the usual broken ribs commonly associated with aluminum race seats.

I wonder how the seat would have held up if the head restraint hadn't hit the diagonal in the main hoop. I wonder if that contributed to the bend in the head restraint reinforcement.

These seats are designed to absorb impact and deflect if need be. It is not visible but the entire seat was deformed due to the impact forces. I did not have any bruises or even soreness related to the rib, shoulder or head restraint. As stated before, I had six perfect seat belt bruises from restraint of the belts. The seat did its' job of absorbing the brutal impact forces instead of my body.

Sam Moore":3neyp3n7 said:
These seats are designed to absorb impact and deflect if need be. It is not visible but the entire seat was deformed due to the impact forces. I did not have any bruises or even soreness related to the rib, shoulder or head restraint. As stated before, I had six perfect seat belt bruises from restraint of the belts. The seat did its' job of absorbing the brutal impact forces instead of my body.

Fair enough. The results do speak for themselves. Which foot bent the gas pedal? Do you feel that having the "knee knocker" that the NASCAR boys use would have helped keep your legs from getting tangled up in the pedals?

This was an interesting article, even though its pretty old now.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-e ... echnology/

Brett, my right foot tore up the throttle pedal. My left tibia and fibia closed fractures were caused by contact with the left front down tube of the rollcage. Left leg brace would have eliminated likelihood of that injury. I will never drive a racecar again without FULL containment including leg braces and/or a high tunnel on the right side. It took 28 years of competition for me to have a wreck like that one--but I feel like I am a pretty lucky person!! Others could have that shunt earlier in their career than I did in mine.

Back