qualifying for the 2013 runoffs

Joe Harlan

Has anyone seen the process yet? How many races? Majors/Minors Regionals/Nationals Whats it gonna take?

Joe,

I ask the same question in an earlier Majors thread. Nobody on the BOD replied but I did get some private messages from those closer to the decision makers myself indicating they could not imagine a change this late for 13. While I would also like some confirmation I am assuming it will be 4 finishes and at least the average number of points for that class from the previous year. Anybody know where that new baseline point average can be found from the 2012 season?

its basically the same as last year with exception of 3 majors starts will also get you in.
official word should be out within the week.
good luck!

Jim Creighton Posted Today at MazdaRacers .com

In 2013, there will be a Majors program in each of the 4 zones, Drivers will be able to accure points in their own zone or any other zone in which they compete. However, they will not be able to bring points from one zone to another. So, if a driver from Atlanta in the East Zone runs the June Sprints, he will get points in the North Zone but will not be able to bring those points back to the East Zone. A driver will need to enter three Majors weekends to be eligible for the Runoffs and none of the Majors races need to be in his home Zone. The Zone Championships will be determined by Zone races only.

In 2013, there will still be National and regional races in all 9 Divisions. Drivers finishing in the top three in their class in their Division will be eligible to enter the Runoffs. However, the Majors races will be counted as Majors points, 22 for a win, 19 for a second, etc while a win a non Majors race will only count 12 points. You will still be able to count 3 Out of Division races and 7 races. So, it stands to reason that most of the top three will be those who run Majors. You will need four finishes.

There will still be a Nationwide points and everyone in the top 1/2 of points will be eligible to enter the Runoffs. Zero points are counted for total drivers entered in each class. Those entering Majors races will get Majors points and the other will be at 12 for first, etc. The big change is there will be no bonus points in 2013. So, a win at a race with 2 cars counts the same as one at a race with 20 cars.

Finally, past Runoffs Champions will be able to enter as long as they have a current license. I haven't seen the number of years back, but it will be at least 5 or maybe all of them.

Now, for 2014, national and regional race designation goes away. There will be a Majors series for each zone. The other races will be races. HOWEVER, the Divisional Championships do NOT go away. Each Division is going to be able to come up with a Division race program that will be a path to the Runoffs.

David Dewhurst said:
Jim Creighton Posted Today at MazdaRacers .com

In 2013, there will be a Majors program in each of the 4 zones, Drivers will be able to accure points in their own zone or any other zone in which they compete. However, they will not be able to bring points from one zone to another. So, if a driver from Atlanta in the East Zone runs the June Sprints, he will get points in the North Zone but will not be able to bring those points back to the East Zone.A driver will need to enter three Majors weekends to be eligible for the Runoffs and none of the Majors races need to be in his home Zone. The Zone Championships will be determined by Zone races only.

In 2013, there will still be National and regional races in all 9 Divisions. Drivers finishing in the top three in their class in their Division will be eligible to enter the Runoffs. However, the Majors races will be counted as Majors points, 22 for a win, 19 for a second, etc while a win a non Majors race will only count 12 points. You will still be able to count 3 Out of Division races and 7 races. So, it stands to reason that most of the top three will be those who run Majors. You will need four finishes.

There will still be a Nationwide points and everyone in the top 1/2 of points will be eligible to enter the Runoffs. Zero points are counted for total drivers entered in each class. Those entering Majors races will get Majors points and the other will be at 12 for first, etc. The big change is there will be no bonus points in 2013. So, a win at a race with 2 cars counts the same as one at a race with 20 cars.

Finally, past Runoffs Champions will be able to enter as long as they have a current license. I haven't seen the number of years back, but it will be at least 5 or maybe all of them.

Now, for 2014, national and regional race designation goes away. There will be a Majors series for each zone. The other races will be races. HOWEVER, the Divisional Championships do NOT go away. Each Division is going to be able to come up with a Division race program that will be a path to the Runoffs.

I am going to assume Jim means finish three majors, I can't imagine they are going back to counting the number of starts but not finishes.

Like the past champs opening. 8)

David Dewhurst said:
Jim Creighton Posted .... A driver will need to enter three Majors weekends to be eligible for the Runoffs...
mlewis said:
its basically the same as last year with exception of 3 majors starts will also get you in....

So is it 3 Majors "weekends" or races to qualify for the Runoffs? All Majors are doubles except the Sprints, correct? If I had to do three Majors events- the third would be Portland and a 1000mi tow. Probably not worth the trip considering that the NW (actually the entire West coast) is light in Prod participation - even with the 'draw' of the Majors.

From what I can tell, most Major races are double weekends with BFG Super Tour races, not double Major races.

BLinn said:
David Dewhurst said:
Jim Creighton Posted .... A driver will need to enter three Majors weekends to be eligible for the Runoffs...
mlewis said:
its basically the same as last year with exception of 3 majors starts will also get you in....

So is it Majors "weekends" or races? All Majors are doubles except the Sprints, correct? If I had to do three Majors events- the third would be Portland and a 1000mi tow. Probably not worth the trip considering that the NW (actually the entire West coast) is light in Prod participation - even with the 'draw' of the Majors.

for 2013, 3 majors starts, not 6 starts in 3 weekends. but the 3 starts must be on seperate weekends, so yes you wind up at 3 majors weekends. it is unfortunate that nothing has developed for SF region yet but they're still working on it i understand? otherwise you're right , to do 3 weekends on the west coast would be a tough tow. if you're planning on going to COTA in March, that could be your third? or you can certainly take the divisional route to qualify and stay within SOPAC. The majors is designed to attract the maximum number of national drivers in order to make for a better racing experience. its really that simple.

Ok Just to clarify. If I do the two socal majors ans get 2 starts plus a start at portland I am in? Or I have to start all six races and those 3 events? Dont get me wrong I plan to race if I am going to be there but since budget of time is very tight I need to fully understand what I am try to schedule between business race weekends. At this point the Cal-speedway race is on the schedule for me as of today.

Majors points, National points, do you get to count points won in Majors towards your divisional National points?

To bad there is nowhere else for me to compete with my current car. But the SCCA is the only sandbox for prod racing.

Bill Hingston
RM Div
fp Miata

For Immediate Release

2013 SCCA Runoffs Qualification Criteria Set

TOPEKA, Kan. (December 4, 2012) – Sports Car Club of America announced today the qualification criteria for the 50th SCCA National Championship Runoffs®, set for Road America Sept. 16-22, 2013.

The qualification process is largely unchanged from 2012, with paths through the Divisional Points, National Points and now the U.S. Majors Tour. Additionally, as the Runoffs’ Golden Anniversary, all former Champions are invited to participate in the event.

As was the case in 2012, to qualify through either Divisional or National point standings, a driver must finish four SafeRacer National Racing Series races (regular National or U.S. Majors Tour events included), with a minimum of two starts within their Division of Record. Once the participation criteria are met, at least one of the following performance criteria is required:

- Finish in the top three of their class in their Divisional Championship.
- Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2013.
- Reach or exceed a minimum number of points for a given class in the National Point Standings (listed below), set by the top half of the 2012 National Point Standings.

Through the U.S. Majors Tour, any driver participating in three different Majors events in the same class (turning a wheel in an official session) will earn an invitation in that class. This criteria was used in 2012 for the Majors pilot program in what has become the Mid-States Conference.

A special invitation will be extended to any past SCCA National Champion to return to the 50th running of the Runoffs, provided that they qualify for a National license. Any past Runoffs National Champion may enter one class at the 2013 Runoffs without meeting the participation or performance criteria.

“Not only will we crown our annual National Champions at the 2013 Runoffs, but we will celebrate 50 years of one of the great motorsports events in America,” SCCA President & CEO Jeff Dahnert said. “As part of that celebration, we invite any of our past Champions to return to battle today’s best amateur racing drivers. You only have one 50th birthday, and we want to make sure that the event be as spectacular as the racing on the track.”

Mid-point of 2012 SafeRacer SCCA National Racing Series point standings, by class:

American Sedan: 36 points
B Spec: (using SSC level): 40 points
C Sports Racing: 38 points
D Sports Racing: 33 points
E Production: 39 points
F Production: 26 points
Formula 500: 36 points
Formula 1000: 43 points
Formula Atlantic: 25 points
Formula Continental: 22 points
Formula Enterprises: 28 points
Formula F: 22 points
Formula Mazda: 32 points
Formula Vee: 32 points
GT-1: 25 points
GT-2: 36 points
GT-3: 38 points
GT-Lite: 34 points
H Production: 31 points
Sports 2000: 24 points
Spec Miata: 10 points
Spec Racer Ford: 13 points
Super Touring Lite: 19 points
Super Touring Under: 20 points
Touring 1: 47 points
Touring 2: 44 points
Touring 3: 45 points
Touring 4 (using SSB level): 50 points

The 2013 SafeRacer SCCA National Racing Series, U.S. Majors Tour and BFGoodrich Tires SCCA Super Tour begins January 4-6, 2013 at Sebring International Raceway.

Edited to reflect the SCCA update.

Finally they make it clear. How about this; those of us who finished in the top half of the points this year (2012) are already qualified!!!!! "- Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2012."

Frogeye said:
Finally they make it clear. How about this; those of us who finished in the top half of the points this year (2012) are already qualified!!!!! "- Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2012."
And they've already issued a correction, that states " Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2013."

Oh well, guess we'll have to race this year after all. "Correction: An earlier version of this release incorrectly indicated that one quailfication was for a driver to finish in the "top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2012." This should have read during 2013. Apologies for any inconvenience, and the following release has been corrected. "

Past natl champion only in that class? What about classes that no longer exist? Waivers fot the guy who decides at the last minute? Any past champs looking for a ride?

Jerry Oleson said:
Past natl champion only in that class? What about classes that no longer exist?
That's a good question.

joecam96 said:
A special invitation will be extended to any past SCCA National Champion to return to the 50th running of the Runoffs, provided that they qualify for a National license. Any past Runoffs National Champion may enter one class at the 2013 Runoffs without meeting the participation or performance criteria.
The way I take the bolded part, any past champion gets a free waiver to enter one 2013 Runoffs race of his choosing, with no stipulation on which class that is, whatsoever. So that makes me wonder, if I ran FP all season and became eligible for its Runoffs race through one of the other usual methods, could I then also show up at the Runoffs with an HP car, and run its race as well, using my "past champions provisional" to do so? Honda's $500 payout to start a Runoffs race would cover my entry, I'd have to do nothing during the regular season to become eligible to run that class, and I could easily get it in my trailer with the FP car. If I was allowed, why would I not do that? I see no mention of anything that makes me think I couldn't. Is there an assumption there that you can't use that "past champions provisional" to enter a second class? If not, another option would be to also enter STU (or whatever) with my FP car, just to get the free extra track time.

I'm not saying I absolutely would do any of these things, but I'm just wondering about the possibilities, now that this has been said.
can<---- ---->worms
bag<---- ---->cat

Back