PRI show in Indy.....12/9-12/15.......so who's going

Jay Lutz

Who is planning to attend this year?

Trying to get a group together (just like we did in 2014) to head out to our favorite NW side Zionsville bar/restaurant on the Wed nite before the show starts.

Who's planning on being in town?

Thanks, Jay

But Bob!!!!!!! I was counting on you to drive me home! Is the Miata I sold you still purring? Thanks, jay

Jay Lutz":hjt55h09 said:
But Bob!!!!!!! I was counting on you to drive me home! Is the Miata I sold you still purring? Thanks, jay

Sorry Jay, your on your own :twisted:
Miata is running great. Just lost the clutch today on the way to work but I think it is a hydraulic issue. Pedal just goes to the floor but will pump up. Should be able to get it home to check it out.

Just before I sold it to you I put a new clutch MC in it..........so it's likely on the slave cylinder bottom side.

Luckily it has a throwout arm with an external slave cylinder..........so you shouldn't have to pull the engine to deal with one of those pesky annular gizmos.

Must be the way you drive it.....like some kind of race driver..........it only had 206k miles on the clock. ;^()

Jay Lutz":2xlv7e71 said:
Just before I sold it to you I put a new clutch MC in it..........so it's likely on the slave cylinder bottom side.

Luckily it has a throwout arm with an external slave cylinder..........so you shouldn't have to pull the engine to deal with one of those pesky annular gizmos.

Must be the way you drive it.....like some kind of race driver..........it only had 206k miles on the clock. ;^()

Exactly... drive it hard put away wet. No big deal.. I'll file a warranty claim next week :shock:

Guys, while at the PRI show please note any drive shaft rpm torque measuring devices (not interested in GPS stuff) and post a name of mfg. company. There seems to be several non GPS mfg's. that have dropped their measuring device.

Thank you

Driveshaft RPM Torque measuring devices that are not GPS?

Huh? What would GPS have to do with any of those?

What are you trying to measure, Dave? Or, what are you trying to do with the data? We instrument many of our drive couplings, but torque is probably the most difficult to do...

There are several products divided if you will by their functioning process on the market. Strain gauges attached to drive shafts or half shafts seem to be more used.

How many folks dyno tune at the track (At Road America Runoffs many did.) if a dyno is available. How many folks would use a drive shaft strain gauge system if the capability available and cost were acceptable.

Not about to go to a cold part of the world for PRI ! Especially in a town where lodging operators really exploit pricing during special event , sure mill the motel at the speedway!

David Dewhurst":3vgj0gpj said:
There are several products divided if you will by their functioning process on the market. Strain gauges attached to drive shafts or half shafts seem to be more used.

How many folks dyno tune at the track (At Road America Runoffs many did.) if a dyno is available. How many folks would use a drive shaft strain gauge system if the capability available and cost were acceptable.

So, David, you are looking for some sort of torque transducer that, either via slip-rings or telemetry, can communicate driveshaft torque? Would this be for logging while racing/driving or only during dyno time?

Laying gages can be expensive. Protecting them so that they can be used again can be VERY expensive (based on my work experience). I do not know that I see the benefit vs. the cost - help us understand why this would be important vs measuring at the wheels with the Dyno.

Bill, to take you out of your current funk, search the following Tecat Wiser 2000 or similar which can be had for approx. $4,500.00. MANY Pro racers, F1, INDY Cars, NASCAR, drag racers and so on use for torque testing beyond their dyno runs. Some of the strain gauges are on a shaft or more than one shaft within trans, diff and other rotating elements of a race car.

The Tecat folks will be at the PRI show and all I was doing when posting was to ask if anyone viewed any other at the show was to post mfg. names.

Dave:

No funk here! Just trying to understand what you are trying to do. We've done strain gaging of driveshafts and couplings - I am not sure that the data supports the cost. Plus, I am always looking for new ways to develop the car and myself...

I guess my question is - what would you do with the data? $4500 buys many, many hours of Dyno time...

Planet6 really hit the nail on the head. What will you do with that expensive data?

All the real tuning should have been on the dyno (far, far cheaper and much more controllable than on the track) so the only use I can imagine is to determine when the engine needs freshening or to detect when the engine lays down for some other reason.

But for something that simple you could use RPM at the end of the longest straight, CAN bus info from your engine ECU, maybe lap or high speed sector times, acceleration in a straight line (DAQ)..........there are many available and cheap proxies.

Plus strain gages are generally a PIA and not very durable.

The original post was an attempt to get info from the PRI show from anyone.

The real reason for searching for a power measuring item is within a particular class the competition is very close and Majors tech tearing apart/reassemble is getting costly. Believe it or not lately items are coming up legal. There have been conversations of how to eliminate the associated tear down/reassemble cost.

Jay, you'll be at the PRI, stop and talk with the Tecat Wiser folks about their strain gauge products and please report. I've talked with them and others.

Sorry for the derailment...

So, David, should those going to PRI be watching for a clamp-on solution that requires minimum prep/installation? This would allow vehicles at random to be chosen and instrumented to see if they fall within the specified power curve given fuel and air characteristics of the engine.

Back