Preliminary December CRB Minutes and the January Tech Bullet

Did I read this right? 2L Volvo in H Prod? Big Valves...Big brakes... :shock: Doesn't say anything about CR or valve lift though.

Volvo! The club sure is full of surprises. It's not April Fools day is it?

It will be a heck of a car at RA. I don't know whether to offer my 142 to my brother to take to the Runoffs, or put it up for sale to some championship hungry racer. I guess I could even drive it myself again.

Don't worry guys. With the 1800 and its' " supple " aero package the 140 won't need those big ol' unvented rotors and monster cast iron calipers.

Sam Moore

Who did you Volvo guys make mad? First, after several requests, they give you a limited prep classification in G then promptly eliminate G before anyone can run one. Then, after several requests for classification in H-all clearly relating to the ITB 142 (2 liter), they instead dig up an obscure model where some early 67-68 142s had a smaller 1.8 motor before all the rest of the models up to 74 got the 2.0. Then it gets rubbed in your face with a “typo.”

At least it sounds like they are allowing a hybrid with a 1.8 fuel injected even though there never was one in a 142.

Just trying to keep this straight...

Page 1: OMG, a 2.0L Volvo in HP?! That's insane! What kind of a moron would allow that?! It's going to kill the class! That's so stupid!
Page 2: Oh wait, that's with a 1.8L? What kind of a moron would think that would be competitive?! No one would ever build that! That's so stupid!

:lol:

But everyone's cool with the new EP Honda's, right? :wink:

Kevin, don't worry about Honda, Acura or Mazda. They are toads and need all the help you can give them. :p Those Volvos are bound to dominate if given anything they actually came with. That is sadly a concept with Improved Touring also. Unfortunately when these cars were introduced into IT they were for the most part competivlely engineered by one the best preparers in the business and well driven by numerous folks. The sadest thing about the whole mess is that we all race for fun and the 140 Volvo is about the most fun car to drive ever---not scary fast, but well balanced and behaved on it's tiptoes, sadly lacking aero advantage by standards of the last several decades. Maybe aero ought to figure in to the rules process a little more. There are other cars that are being cheated in the same process. ( BMW 1600,2002 anyone? )

Sam Moore

Sam Moore":p8n6en2a said:
Kevin, don't worry about Honda, Acura or Mazda. They are toads and need all the help you can give them. :p Those Volvos are bound to dominate if given anything they actually came with. That is sadly a concept with Improved Touring also. Unfortunately when these cars were introduced into IT they were for the most part competivlely engineered by one the best preparers in the business and well driven by numerous folks. The sadest thing about the whole mess is that we all race for fun and the 140 Volvo is about the most fun car to drive ever---not scary fast, but well balanced and behaved on it's tiptoes, sadly lacking aero advantage by standards of the last several decades. Maybe aero ought to figure in to the rules process a little more. There are other cars that are being cheated in the same process. ( BMW 1600,2002 anyone? )

Sam Moore

When I asked for the additional compression for the BMW M10 motors last year I was thinking of asking them to be moved to HP but figured the 2 ltr was just too big for HP but they needed help in FP. The trouble was I asked for the spec line change to late for the un-published/un-documented cut off date for the 2011 rules year (by my calculation 7 days too late). Since the change did not deal with weight, wheels/tires, and resistor is was not allows as an in year change. If I would have asked for the BMW's to be moved to HP with the same engine but maybe more weight it may have been allowed as a in year change.

Tom Broring":3ne8p4g8 said:
Who did you Volvo guys make mad? First, after several requests, they give you a limited prep classification in G then promptly eliminate G before anyone can run one. Then, after several requests for classification in H-all clearly relating to the ITB 142 (2 liter), they instead dig up an obscure model where some early 67-68 142s had a smaller 1.8 motor before all the rest of the models up to 74 got the 2.0. Then it gets rubbed in your face with a “typo.”

At least it sounds like they are allowing a hybrid with a 1.8 fuel injected even though there never was one in a 142.

Good question

Just trying to keep this straight...

Page 1: OMG, a 2.0L Volvo in HP?! That's insane! What kind of a moron would allow that?! It's going to kill the class! That's so stupid!
Page 2: Oh wait, that's with a 1.8L? What kind of a moron would think that would be competitive?! No one would ever build that! That's so stupid!

Cracks me up! :applause:

Hate to stop the humor here but somebody will eventually point it out so I might as well.
Read the spec's. They approved the Volvo 142 with the P1800 engine. The 142's always had the same engine as the P1800 sports cars. Initially they were powered by the Volvo B18 engine. Later models got the B20 engine. The B18's were carbed, while the B20's were both carbed OR FI. Note that the specs give only 1 weight but have 2 different displacements, the B18 and the B20. The FI B20 head is OK but has some serious limitations in the exhaust valve pocket. The B18 head doesn't have this restriction. A smart engine builder (like SoMe I know) would use the B18 head drilled for the FI that came on the B20. Gotta go, I hear my helicopter coming.
Merry Christmas Les,
Keith Church

Now if someone could document that US market 142's never came with B18 motors the spec line would have to be changed to prohibit a non-spridget hybrid from being legal!
Happy New Year too!
KC

Modifying transmission tunnels, suspension, frame, fenders, etc. to allow alternate transmissions in Production. Come'on now where is the spirit and intent of the rules for the class. This is not GT. Can't even get a alternate bolt on rotor approved that was optional for that model, but you can modify a whole drivetrain for a transmission, that did not even come with the car. I give up this is ludicrous.
Mike

Back