Portland July 4-6 Major

Is that event big enough to need 3 days? We saw Thunderhill (300 cars) and Buttonwillow (250+ cars) done as two days events - I wont say they were not a little packed, but I don't recall Portland even hitting 200 in years past. I keep trying to talk myself into going each year, but then I see a three day schedule (and running last on Sunday) which makes it hard to justify that time off/tow.

Looks like they have a dedicated Formula Car Challenge, and FB has their own dedicated race group. So that's 2 additional run groups, and I also think that they are leveraging the holiday on Friday.

Jason, even if you don't come (which you should because I got 20 bucks says you cant beat Gordon Jones on his home track) I would ask that you write a letter to our RE about our schedule.

Joe

Joe Harlan":2gznf0wt said:
Jason, even if you don't come (which you should because I got 20 bucks says you cant beat Gordon Jones on his home track) I would ask that you write a letter to our RE about our schedule.

Joe

Born and raised in the NW. What, just because the last time I turned a wheel at PIR it did not have the Festival Curves I cant call it my home track? :lol: I have no doubt he will be fast there. *I think most people missed the fact that he was also under the existing track record at Thunderhill, and would have likely been in the hunt at Buttonwillow with a fully functioning transmission. Looking forward to racing him again.

It just seemed odd to me that events with potentially smaller turnout need a longer schedule than the last two in conference. But then I don't have to worry about keeping all of those guys that want lots of track time happy.

the NW has struggled with their club racing program for a few years so yes the car count will be low. But the national board wanted to make sure they had a majors program. Particularly this year with the renewed west coast interest. So in order to make things financially viable for the local region we have allowed them to bring in groups that ordinarily wouldn't run on a majors weekend. As is also the case with Az and San Diego in my area down south, it is the boards hope that local racers in NW will start to build their numbers up again and allow a 'normal' majors schedule in the future. In the meantime we are thankful these groups have joined in and allowed the event(s) to move forward.

thx
M Lewis

3 days makes it hard for most with a real job. Logically the schedule could have some groups Qualify Fri, race 2X on sat.
Split the time suck for all of the groups to two days.
Also if you mix in practice and races on the same day( Pro style) , more races can run the proper distance and the scheduled qualifying session could eat the crash time.

Those 2 day events with no scca sanctioned practice blow. 1 of my drivers comes in from FL and with no practice session has to learn the tracks while other drivers are on qualifying laps. So far the whole Majors thing has been a farce, in my opinion.

Seattle is usually the worst deal as far as entry fee/track time, but this year is the best deal on the West coast.

Dave, I faced the same thing at buttonwillow but truthfully the extra day is a real added cost in travel time for a lot of people (like me) that actually have jobs.

Actually the best value as far as track time on the Friday Test & Tune was at Inde. While Buttonwillow wasn't very expensive ($200), you only got like four sessions all day. At Inde I got six full sessions and sat out a seventh for what it cost for four at Buttonwillow and half of four at Thunderhill ($400). That said, we needed the time at Inde as it truely had some safety got-cha's.

Back