Past National Champion For Hire At 2013 Runoffs

JessePrather

Do you have a car that you feel just needs a good driver to shine at the runoffs? Are you wanting to sell a great car but just need to get some good advertising done, ie a good runoffs finish, to push it over the edge in value? Are you just interested in putting someone in your car so you can see how well it can do at the runoffs?

I would love to drive someone else's car at the runoffs in another class!! I'm planning on qualifying in E Production through the regular means but can use my past National Champion status to drive YOUR car. Contact me if you're interested in discussing this proposal for the 2013 Runoffs.

jesseprather34 at gmail dot com

[Jesse, I don't want to highjack your post, so I can delete/modify at your request. -Peter]

from the Dec 04 SCCA announcement:
-----
A special invitation will be extended to any past SCCA National Champion to return to the 50th running of the Runoffs, provided that they qualify for a National license. Any past Runoffs National Champion may enter one class at the 2013 Runoffs without meeting the participation or performance criteria.
-----

Like Jesse, I'm promoting this idea, but on a larger scale and from the car side. I want to get the cars back on track. If anyone owns a past national championship car that they would like to see raced at 2013 Runoffs, contact Jesse. Once he's got his extra class to drive [just one allowed per champion], give me a call.

Last September Jim Dentici and I were pushing this idea of inviting past national champions to the SCCA Board of Directors. They listened. We started contacting past champions during 2012 Runoffs and have a list of several who would like to return, some who would like to do it in the car they won their championship in. It might be our one and only chance as a club to welcome back members who have left the sport.

This week I bought the 1992 (? or 1991) GT4 championship B210 run by Juan Montalvo of Florida. I'm going to offer a Runoffs ride to Juan first. If family commitments preclude him from racing it, then it's open to any other past national champions. I'll start working the phones.

If I can help put something together, give me a call.
Peter
(THREE 0NE F0UR) 724 7098
PeterZekert at Juno dot Com

Suppose Joe Huffaker shows up with his 6 time national championship FP Midget and finishes 15th. Do you think anyone would admit the car needs help to be competitive? Or what about his GT5 Mini? Same question? Oh wait a minute there aren't 15 GTL cars still racing.

That would be great if he wins in his Midget. Then there would be no argument for the car getting any competition adjustments. Maybe the CRB should "comp" the entry fee for some of these car/driver combinations just to shut people like myself up. Joe Huffaker/Huffaker Midget in FP, Joe Huffaker/ Huffaker Mini in GTL, or Doug Peterson/ Fortech Mini in GTL. Did Jack Beck ever win GT4 or 5 with his Alfa? Steve Hussey/ Huffaker Bugeye in HP. What would the true cost to SCCA be if they waived the entry fee? Aren't we self insured? Are the classes so oversubscribed we are turning paying entries away? Seems to me like a good way to demonstrate a good faith effort to insure equal competition. Show me my Midget is competitive and I'll be at 6 national events and the Runoffs. Same for my Mini.

Hey Gary, stay off my post man! This is supposed to be a fun topic. Thanks!

Good idea James, I'd think Kevin would jump on the opportunity.

Jesse Prather said:
Hey Gary, stay off my post man! This is supposed to be a fun topic. Thanks!

Good idea James, I'd think Kevin would jump on the opportunity.
Absolutely interested in discussing it, and James has PM. I still absolutely love driving my ITC '85 Civic (bought March of 2000, my first racecar), so naturally the idea of driving one with fuel injection and some horsepower sounds like a blast! The suspension on James' is almost identical to what I have on mine, so it should feel somewhat familiar. Will have to give it some thought, as I also really want to see what kind of a chance the '92-95 Civic DX has in HP, but the offer to drive someone elses car would be a very exciting and humbling opportunity.

Jesse. The 2 time runoffs winning Visger / Huffaker MGB has been offered forever now on eBay by San Francisco Sports Car and is still at a more current prep level. We know you can run up front in an MGB and that would be a neat ride for the 50th. Anybody know who owns it?

I'm pretty sure that's Rick Estes' car and it hasn't been run in like 10 years or so. Probably needs a complete rebuild top to bottom.

It's rough according to a guy who went to see it with the thought of buying it. It's in California now and was being sold by some company for $50,000 or something crazy. It photographed well, but up close was something different.

This is a great topic and idea. Think about how the convergence of these different drivers will change the shape of the different races. Pretty cool.

That is interesting to know. Look at the auction to see what a good detail guy and photo shop can do !! Scary

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Huffaker-Engineering-MGB-2X-National-Champion-SCCA-1-8L-/150935683189?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&forcev4exp=true#ht_25935wt_948

It may not be good that I speak I'll of the car with second hand knowledge. I'm active on the MG Experience forum and there was a discussion about it there.

Now, since I won't be racing in 2013, how to get my car to RA? :think:

I would challenge the Spidget drivers to post the entry fee for Joe Jr to drive his Spidget, or any of his Prod cars. The results would be truly worthy....

My first car was a "63 MGB. Drove it all thru my service and college years, 110,000+ miles. The serial number was in the low 800 range. Used the Huffaker and Tillius cars as my roll models.

Ricks sister lives directly across the street from me, I thought Rick still lived in Kansas, why's the car for sale in San Fran?

Re.: Huffaker MGB

Is roll bar legal? Are rear fender well cutouts legal?

30 gallon fuel cell?

What's a cross drilled connecting rod?

Understand much controversy regarding origins of this car. Nice bit of history/show car. Not ready for SCCA FP, IMO.

RJS

Curtis said:
Jesse. The 2 time runoffs winning Visger / Huffaker MGB has been offered forever now on eBay by San Francisco Sports Car and is still at a more current prep level. We know you can run up front in an MGB and that would be a neat ride for the 50th. Anybody know who owns it?

It's some car dealer/wheeler-dealer sort of guy, he wants a ton for it, I like him though, he did me a favor. He offered that car up for sale, and it is alot rougher than the pictures show on Ebay. Aynway, after looking at that car Scott Brown then called me up, and bought the #9 Huffaker MGB, it's at Huffaker shop right now. Ok, with that being said, most of these cars don't pass today's roll bar rules.

It would be neat to see Huffaker bring out the Midget, or Mini. I think alot of you would surprised to see what Joe is up to these days, think vintage race cars in a big way. Scott sent me a Huiffaker shop picture a couple of months ago, must have been a dozen cars in the photo in the shop, not a one of them a SCCA car, every one of them, a vintage race car.

FWIW, I think the past chamion deal is neat thing, and it will bring some extra excitment to the runoffs. For some folks it might be chance to see, if it's the car, or the driver, letting national champ take the wheel of your car. If I had current SCCA car, I'd be all over that, and pick the hottest shoe I could get my hands on, somebody like Craig Chima, or Tommy Feller.

Back