O scrub king pin inclination???

Curtis

Would anyone be willing to share their experience and/or opinions concerning the effects of kingpin inclination on 0 or low scrub geometry?? I have found a lot to read but having difficulty relating it to a small production or GT car and coming to a design decision.

Thanks

Kingpin inclination angle and wheel offset is how you achieve low or no scrub radius.

Assuming you have some positive scrub, high caster angles dewedge the front end in a turn.......which is a good thing. The bad news with lots of caster is that the steering efforts go up a lot.

Thank you for replying Jay. I understand that the inclination scribes the pivot point. For example though, if you ran 0 scrub with a 5 degree spindle, then changed things around to achieve 0 scrub with a 10 degree spindle, would one or the other be easier to drive ?

Thanks again

In theory (particularly at small turning angles) the turning effort should be identical....zero scrub is zero scrub with no contact patch force acting on a finite moment arm.

In practice it is unlikely you would be able to get 0 scrub with a 5 degree spindle, particularly on a small production car. Other opinions????????

OK, I'm new to this - but changing the kingpin angle (only) would affect Camber Gain - right?

The further outboard the upper pivot point, the less camber gain...

...right?

Yes. It would effect camber gain a very slightly, and all kinds of things get changed when you change one or the other Crazy how inter-related everything is. But you can also correct for just about anything on a full prep Prod or GT car.

I just really need to replace my uprights, and also wheels as I can run 7 wide now. Would like to take more scrub out in the process but am not confident my driving skills are up to driving a true 0 scrub setup. For this reason trying to think through anything else that might effect drivability before deciding how close to 0 scrub I should go.

Back