November 2021 Fastrack

Stiner0931":wyeh7vu2 said:
Good summary Matt. Sorry, I should have specified 15" or smaller with my comment. Some companies still have a 15", but the big 4 players in the industry (Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Conti) don't have that size in their 200 TW line. Only in the 40 or 60 TW racing tire. Same goes true for 13".

Al - the problem is with the small rim sizes that we use in prod, there are little to no options on the market with 200 TW, and with the automotive industry going to bigger and bigger rim sizes, there won't be any new tires developed for small rim sizes.

Agreed, that's why I said "not that simple". My HP Scirocco runs 13" wheels but could run 14s, where there are SOME 200TW tires, I run 195/60-14 Falkens on a street/autocross Rabbit GTI which is the same chassis. OTOH "the best" sprint 200TWs don't seem to be available in 14".

For that matter, I never liked any of the (IT) Hoosier 13" DOT R options very much, they all seemed too tall or too wide, albeit faster than anything else available.

Not a simple or easy issue!

Stiner0931":3b80m4cv said:
Good summary Matt. Sorry, I should have specified 15" or smaller with my comment. Some companies still have a 15", but the big 4 players in the industry (Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Conti) don't have that size in their 200 TW line. Only in the 40 or 60 TW racing tire. Same goes true for 13".

Al - the problem is with the small rim sizes that we use in prod, there are little to no options on the market with 200 TW, and with the automotive industry going to bigger and bigger rim sizes, there won't be any new tires developed for small rim sizes.
The Nankang AR1 is the only 100TW I could find that came in a close size . 235.45/13. Its a little tall at 21.0 but fits the 13 x7 rim. They also come in Vintage sizes for 13in and the company seems to welcome some sale . We'll see how they go next week.

another can of worms--- what about going to a 15" for those cars? if "everyone did it", then there wouldn't be a penalty.
BUT.. everyone would have to switch to 15" wheels which is an entirely new development curve and admittedly maybe unpossible for some cars due to wheel well constraints.

There has to be a valid 13 in tire or we are wasting our time. Too many cars on 13s with suspension pivots, geometry, gears and aero stuff that works . Simply putting on larger tires causes an entire engineering dominoes tumble. Plus the smallest
power will go slower relatively.

Just using a slightly less sticky tire should speed up the lightest cars RE to the rest of the field. If the tires sizes are about the same .

Protech Racing":1pn49xuc said:
There has to be a valid 13 in tire or we are wasting our time. Too many cars on 13s with suspension pivots, geometry, gears and aero stuff that works . Simply putting on larger tires causes an entire engineering dominoes tumble. Plus the smallest
power will go slower relatively.

Just using a slightly less sticky tire should speed up the lightest cars RE to the rest of the field. If the tires sizes are about the same .
ya. there's always fallout to every change so its never simple.

Back