Not that much competition...

Bob Hess

Was home working on race cars and watching as many runoff races as I could. With two HP cars, production was obviously my prime interest. My only comment is that when you're lapping cars (a lot of cars) in a 40 minute race on a 4 mile plus track, there isn't a lot of real "competition" going on. The comments about the G/H Production race were pretty much right on.

Bob

I've only been around since 1997. So, a grain of salt please.

The production car racers are always looking for more spectators/promotion/tv time.

This years Runoffs race was by far the best H production car race I've ever viewed including the Runoffs & many nationals in the CenDiv since 1997. :think: When there are 4 cars at the front within reaching distance of each other, that works for spectators. :applause:

Ditto the F race/5-6 cars & ditto the E race 3 cars.

There were MANY folks all excited & noisy in the T5 stands for all 3 production car races. :applause:

Spectators come to see W2W racing like shall we say Spec Miata racing. < Just an example, don't anyone get their undies all twisted.

Bob Hess":31btdhbq said:
My only comment is that when you're lapping cars (a lot of cars) in a 40 minute race on a 4 mile plus track, there isn't a lot of real "competition" going on.

Bob
Not sure what race you were watching Bob...we lapped one car car during the H-prod race. One. Uno. Ein.
I need one of the old timers to confirm but that might have been a record for the fewest number of lapped cars in an H-prod race.

The Speedcast coverage picked the absolute worst time for a commercial break. They missed the best racing action up front during the break.

Based on the speed he had back in 2009 and how he ran at Mid-Ohio this summer, I'm 100% positive that Bartell would have been right up there in that lead pack if he didn't have his brake issues in qualifying.

Jasons Yaris found a lot of speed this year. If he hadn't lost touch with the draft pack he too would have made things interesting.

Jay had engine woes after Q3 and fought handling woes all week long. He was coming on strong during the race when his battery died.

Pitts lost something between Qualifying and the race. His times were competitive. Trainer was running real good...right until his CV joint broke...again...for about the millionth time this year.

Despite being the smallest Prod field, hands down I would say this was the most competive H field at Road America that I have run against.

David and Greg are correct, it was a great race, if you brought a GP car that is. There wasn't a single true HP car there. So why don't we rename HP to GP and admit there are no more HP cars running with SCCA.

And the one lapped car was caught in the first lap shit (Horrell) and was damaged. I'll second that the race was close. I'll also suggest that Jack and I would have had fun running with Broring, Eichelberger, Bestwick, Brannon, Hannagan, and Wright if we would have been able to clear T5. I was getting faster each session as I dialed in the ubermotor and I ALWAYS race faster than I qualify. Were we front runners? No. But we can have a good race in the middle of the pack too.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":2wj1rlyb said:
Were we front runners? No. But we can have a good race in the middle of the pack too.
Dayle

And it's good to watch. When it's W2W, front, mid or rear who really cares.

racingspridget":35gtmea9 said:
David and Greg are correct, it was a great race, if you brought a GP car that is. There wasn't a single true HP car there. So why don't we rename HP to GP and admit there are no more HP cars running with SCCA.

Think that's what I was talking about... just not that eloquent after staring at my lap top for 4 days. I didn't make the first comment about the G/H class but after getting pounded by ex IT cars for the past couple of years I sure do agree. Think what really ticks me off, other than getting classed with engines close to 50-60% larger than mine, there are some great cars that could make up a GP class and really do some exciting racing.

Bob

Being an "old guard" car owner I always want a spit, sprite, etc up front but I enjoyed the heck out of that race, FP and the 6 car GTL race. other than the bad commercial break I thought the coverage and commentary was enjoyable. I have to say I root for the classes as much as the drivers and cars, being invested in the class. I think that prod for the last several years have been the best races to watch. The people up front have made many development changes I think and they are seeing results.

I am proud of all the guys for making my weekend watching race monitor at the hockey rink and later the replays on speedcast (cudos to them for quick upload). I was going to bed Monday when suddenly the FP race came up. Had to watch that one. So glad for Steve but boy did I want Eric to get one.

Good to see the "super spit" out there and Tom B. Hope the spit did not have too much damage hitting Bestwick. and of course everyone is ok I expect.

Back