Muffler and exhaust quandry

Al Seim

My HP 1.6 Scirocco is too close to the sound limit for comfort so I need to revise things.

Right now it's running an L shaped system, 2.25" pipe, exiting in front of the left rear, with a short bullet glasspack (Dynomax) in the short leg of the L and a turndown on the exit. Turndown is within (barely) the car pan view, basically right under the rocker.

My local track, Summit Point, has sound on the left as many do, thus presumably much of my problem. But the fuel pump etc live in the same area on the right, making a right exit less attractive.

Would ideally prefer to minimize changes that could affect engine tune as things are running well as is. Car is a few pounds heavy so would prefer to minimize weight gain. Car is closed and I prefer not to breathe much exhaust gas. I'm also a cheapskate whenever possible.

Rules allow exhaust exit anywhere aft of the halfway point of the wheelbase as I read them, which I presume means directly under the car is OK as long as far enough back.

One simple light option would be to swing the muffler inline with the car and dump the exhaust straight down or even slightly to the right, close to the car centerline just ahead of the rear axle. I'm not sure how much this would lower sound readings, though I've heard that it does and it stands to reason that it should. I'm probably more concerned that it will result in my breathing more CO than I want to....?? Or maybe I'm just used to seeing exhausts running to the car perimeter..???

The other option is to run the exhaust in the stock location, up and over the rear (twistbeam) axle and out the back, presumably with a RH turn on the exit. There's plenty of room under the rear for the muffler (where the stock one lived) and I assume that's where I'd put it. This adds a bit of weight and a fair bit of length to the system.

A third option is to add a second glasspack to the existing layout, in the fore-aft section in front of the existing L bend. Tech support at Walker estimated that this would take 2-3dBa off existing reading which seems like enough. For reference, he estimated that a longer similar glasspack instead of the current one would only help by about 1dBa which seems inadequate.

Also - the cavity in front of the axle, where the current muffler sits, is fairly large (stock fuel tank was here) so a bulky alternative muffer is a possibility as long as it is light.

One question - has anyone played much with secondary (ie tailpipe length) on LP Prod engines w/ minimal mufflers? Are they very sensitive (wrt power curve) to changes in length?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

On my ITB Golf, I have the exhaust point straight down under the car in front of the axle beam. Never have I gotten close to the sound limit but it is noisy inside the car. Never forget your ear plugs or your ears will ring for days after.

Like Ralf, I run a short piece of flex pipe to a 24" Cherry Bomb muffler, and then have a 45 degree down pipe and it exits right out in front of the rear axle. Never had an issue with sound, even @ Laguna Seca where we all know the sound requirements are extremely strict.

Not a VW here, but I run a Moroso Spiral Flow muffler on my 240SX exiting out the rear with just a bit of a downward slope (mainly to keep rain out when the car is parked) and I'm always well within sound limits. mid 90s usually. It's about the same size as a glass pack, so it's something to consider as a different type of muffler that seems to work well.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/94050/ ... tId=744819

Unfortunately I can't help on power loss/dyno information with them, but I've seen much more powerful cars running the same 2.5" muffler and they don't seem to have an issue with backpressure on them. I figure if it's good for the goose, then it's fine for the duck.

Al, I had the same problem on my mk2. Switched the tailpipe out the right side in front of the rear tire. I was nervouse about the pump also. Made up a heat shield to cover the pump assy. and quick removal hardware on the tailpipe for quick access if necessary. Been running that setup for 5 seasons without a problem. Makes life easier and sounds cool.

Dick, where is the sound station at the tracks you race at? That setup wouldn't work for any of the tracks in NorCal, since all 3 have the mic on the right side of the track.

I run Dynomax oval race mufflers on most all of my own cars and most all of my customer cars (which have raced at laguna) with no sound issues even on restrictive days. I have really never seen any notable losses on the dyno with these. The round dynomax really will not do much for noise at all.

Joe -

Which Dynomax? The "Ultra Flo Welded" one? Which I think is a perforated straight-through design but with a much larger volume oval case?

Tom -

It's possible (blowout) I suppose. I told the tech at Dynomax that I had maybe 20 hours (which is a guess) on the muffler and he guessed that it was probably still OK. I tried poking at it throgh the internal perforations with a piece of bent safety wire and couldn't really tell much - I THINK there was something in there...???

Thanks for all info!

Al

Al, Yes the ultra-flo welded. I have been using them for as long as I can remember. The round muffler will only take about 3 db max off an open exhaust.

I had about 20 race hours on my dynomax bullet and it got loud. Put a new one on and it quieted right back up. Thankfully they don't cost much because they obviously don't last forever.

I've had very good success with a Borla XR-1 Racing Muffler with a simple turn-down under the car.
I'm typically low 90's on sound.

Eric -

Hmm, that's interesting. Simply replacing the muffler is obviously the cheap/easy solution, maybe I'll try that first. 20 hours doesn't sound like much but 20 hours of mostly wide open throttle is drastically harder use than on the street or drag strip...

Greg/Gordon -

When you say "under the car" do you mean near an edge or in-the-middle-somewhere? I'm under the car but barely.

Thanks,

Al

Another vote for the Borla XR-1 and an undercar turndown.

On my old IT car I ran that setup with the turndown right around the diff in the middle of the car. The loudest it ever blew was 94.

Two downsides:
1) YOU NEED EARPLUGS! Really. Or else.
2) The Borla XR-1 series is a BIG muffler. Sometimes they can be hard to fit.

^^ what he said ^^

Mine runs down the center of the car where the floor is recessed for the stock exhaust.
I have a simple turndown after the muffler, before the rear axle.
My only clearance issue is getting the car off the trailer. There is one spot on my trailer that catches as I roll the car back.
I used the oval muffler as it is smaller in diameter but doesn't fit into my floor recess too well because it is too wide.
Borla makes a round version of the same muffler and it has a larger diameter, but would have recessed deeper into the floor so it might have given me a bit more ground clearance.

Back