Mid Ohio october race

yup yup.

I'm in with a spare motor. I don't really like the run groups, I may send a request to the registrar and see if we can revert to the autumn classic run groups.

Aaron Johnson":29flftpz said:
yup yup.

I'm in with a spare motor. I don't really like the run groups, I may send a request to the registrar and see if we can revert to the autumn classic run groups.

Don't bother the registrar....he/she has no control of race groups, run order, etc. Contact the chief steward.

Dayle

Ok... so I registered this afternoon and my little GTL car is in the GT1 etc group. I've contacted the Chief Steward and race chair to correct this oversight. Clearly not going to go play if it sticks. I have no doubt a correction will be coming soon.

Bryan Floyd

Greg I would love to go, it's on my bucket list. However Runoffs are not there soon and
I was/am planning some chassis and gearing tests for M/O. Still waiting to hear back from
either Race chair or Chief steward but plenty of time and some folks have real day jobs.

Bryan

bfloyd":1fhjbz7m said:
Greg I would love to go, it's on my bucket list. However Runoffs are not there soon and
I was/am planning some chassis and gearing tests for M/O. Still waiting to hear back from
either Race chair or Chief steward but plenty of time and some folks have real day jobs.

Bryan

If the Prod Fest is on your bucket list, you'd better go this year. It's very likely to the be the last one, unless we can find someone to take over the reins to the Prod Fest. This is our last year of organizing it.

Mark

Thanks to Dan Hodge and crew for facilitating GTL's move to Group three. Even though I was looking forward to getting a tow from some big iron I did not want a "Joel Hipp" style incident to happen to me.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Bryan Floyd

Fun weekend. 40+ cars in our run group. I'll type up more tomorrow

Ep ran in a different group.

Sat
Sestili won thanks to my 3 position penalty for pass under the yellow. I did t argue as my video wasn't working but I'm pretty sure there was no yellow

Sun we ran the pro course.
I won with a new runoffs track record of 1:42.7

Aaron

You went screaming by me! Congrats for the win and thanks for my second Saturday. Just kidding! Sorry about the penalty!

Enjoy the record while it lasts, great job all weekend. Still not sure how in four sessions I never even saw you on track.

Gobs of cars on track and for the most part everyone did a good job being aware of who and what was around them. A few STL's just had to race with whoever was near them, but hey a chop here a block, block, block, block there between friends is to be expected. John Schmidt was fast as expected, The Walkers showed up for sunday, Joe was quick. Got some good data on the GTL car it's all good.

Bugeye HP car got thumped last lap, last corner by same STL car :cry: Not very cool at all.
Will try to post video soon. Oh and apparantly a GTL restrictor car SUCKS on a start compared to T and ST cars!! I felt like a Mod in a biker bar!

Bryan Floyd

It was a good thing you guys were up front. I started mid pack and spun lap 2 ish in the carousel. Scarey seeing everybody coming straight at you. Spent the rest of the race trying to pick off a handfull of cars. Then looped it in the right hander coming into Thunder Valley and pancaked the whole left side! Hit the tires pretty good. All fixable though.

It was great getting back on track after such a long layover!

If Bennett was the bugeye, minor thump front wheel/airdam lh side. STL had a caved in door from saturday so it might be a trend. Lots of spins etc midpack from the reports I got.

Bryan

Can you scan me a copy of Sunday final results? I had to bail out of there right after the race to get home. I never did see where I finished. (Other than in the tires!)

john, i'll look for the results, I know I grabbed a sheet but I didn't see it today when I unloaded.

now my recap...

Friday, spent all day and thrashed to get the engine installed at the track. all was good and it went in smooth, until we went to put the water pump belt on. difference in motor builds meant that mine was too long. trying to find a gilmer drive belt in central ohio on a Friday night is not gonna happen, so we went to tractor supply and got some well...supplies. found an idler pulley and fabbed up an idler at the track to use my current belt. worked great, engine runs, ready for Saturday.

Saturday morning qualifying session. started out great, was warming the tires and did a lazy half spin on the back straight, dolt...better than the spin in pit lane last time. It was cold, about 45 deg, the track was slick and all traffic wasn't too bad.

Saturday race was good, air density was high, the weather warmed up a bit. I had a good race with Matt Downing in his STL solstice and I finally got him, we were turning 1:44's. we went to lap an RX7 and I forced the issue, he came down on me and I went 4 off in the apex 13 trying to avoid him, but it was not possible, I stabbed the brakes and he hit my left front, he went spinning off and I continued with no damage. The battle with Matt continued and on the last lap we caught a whole gaggle of traffic. I got by one guy, and I swear I didn't see a yellow flag in 9, there had been for the 3 or 4 laps prior for a car off at the outside in the center of 11. I went by an IT rabbit (who spun I think). Matt was going to check his video, but he doesn't remember a flag there on the last lap either. I didn't know about the penalty until I went to get a results sheet...Now my rant. They said they paged me 3 times, I never hear one, only the track announces and I was in the lower paddock. You can't hear crap because the announcements for grid/etc can't be heard over the PA of the track announcers. I didn't argue the penalty but it was harsh. 3 positions in class which amounted to 25 positions overall. This handed the win over to Mike with John taking the second. congrats guys.

Sunday morning it was cold again and we ran the pro course. the qualifying race (which can I say again how much I hate) start was a FLIPPING MESS. I gridded 29th behind the H-prod bugeye. I'm going to bitch for a minute but think of it as constructive criticism. FOR F#$# sake at the start of the race stay near the guy in front of you!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were 2-300 yards back from 27th spot and I couldn't see 26th and no attempt was made to try and group up!!!! Then things were made worse, I got the call on the radio that it was green and I was only in turn 10 which still had the double yellows out....I know it's only a qualifying race but jesus, if you don't want to start next to people then start from the back it was just plain ridiculous. I worked my way past 18 cars up to 11th cars and turned a 1:44 something fighting all the traffic, there wasn't a clean lap to be had. Everybody was pretty courteous with point byes but still you catch people in the wrong place. Not sure what happened to Marnie, but I saw here pull off inside the exit of madness and when I went to find the Brannon's they were gone!

Sunday for the actual race...the start was much better, I got a few people on it, and started to try and get back up the field. by lap 3 or so I was right behind downing in the solstice again and the fight was on with the FP crx in front of us. I turned the 1:42.6 and got by Downing, then got by the CRX the next lap, and just started pushing...times were pretty consistent :43's and :44"s, still a couple seconds off the pace, but not bad for a Friday motor job. Then with 3 laps from the end, I noticed my feet were getting hot and there was smoke in the cock pit...I look down and feet are coated in oil, and the pedals are really really slippy! I miss a couple shifts and Downing gets by me. The motor is still running as expected and I'm not sure what's going on so I continue to push. Then going into china beach I pull out and try and late brake Downing, my foot slipped off the pedal and in the attempt to get it back on I missed the turn in and the rear came around and the left rear bumped his right front. now something I though I would never say, I came out with no damage and the solstice had a little scuff, but it wasn't a light hit. after that, I decided it was time to milk it home, and just started dropping positions and ended up 12th or so.... I'm not sure what went on in H behind me, but I think Mike finished second.

can't wait for next year...i'll try and get what little video I got put up soon

Back