MARRS 4

Al Seim

Who's coming to MARRS 4 at Summit Point on June 20-21? WDCR doesn't charge the credit card early any more so it's safe to register early.

I haven't raced for a couple of years so need some prod cars there to help me remember which way to turn at the end of the straight!

Greg, Frank, Mike, Carolyn, Cason etc.... Hopefully lots of HP cars will come out to play.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6
Race Technology USA

I will likely be there, going to make sure the car is ready to go after NJMP this weekend. And it's a hard left at the end of the straight, Al. Trust me...
Prod turnout has been a little down so far this year for MARRS. Nagy broke a motor big time at VIR and he's not likely to make the June race. Frank Jones showed some serious speed at VIR, so he's likely to be a challenge. He's still waiting for someone to take a shot at his new paintwork -

Mike MacQ

Hope to see you there Mike.

I do remember seeing a gentle left at the end of the straight, maybe that's what you mean? Leading to a 3600+ degree right turn.... I drove down that way at my driver's school when the throttle stuck open.

Sorry to hear about Greg's engine. I hope to avoid scratching Frank's new paint!

Al

Ooo....don't think I'm going to be ready...but giving up that first shot at Franks paint is a hard nugget to swallow... :wink:

Yeah, I think I am out with too many engine issues to solve at the moment. The tow vehicle just took a chunk of my engine budget and rod number 1 had taken a bigger chunk of the engine itself than I first thought.

Expecting EVERYONE to be at MARRS 5, however, and entered in the Small Bore Bonus race in July.

Im out, I don't have a single weekend free until Sept, working every one now until Labor Day.
I hope you guys have a great weekend though.
I'll be there in spirit.
Cheers
jimmy p

6 HPs with 5 shots at Frank's new blue paint, for Mr Nesbit of course. It won't be the same without the white bugeye.

By the way,

For those who might not get my MARRS emails. Due to the CCPS races there are schedule changes.

1. Both days start at 0800
2. Sundays schedule is in reverse order. CCPS then groups 8 to 1. Group 7 will run in the morning.

H prod started the weekend with 6 after a "testing issue" with Carolyn's rabbit.

Saturday morning qualifying was a mess with a damp track. A lot of people did not go out and chose to start at the back. Saturday afternoon was exciting for H as Frank Jones got out to an early lead, but a flock of Legends cars and a STSomething was holding him up through the carousel. This let Cason Kirkland and Al Seim to catch up and pass Frank. Cason then got his turn to deal with the flock, and Al set him up for a slingshot pass to the checker. F had 2 wounded cars and not much of a race, with Jim Harrison taking the win. In E, Sam Rolfe started at the back after spending the morning fishing a starter snout out of the bellhousing of his 240sx. The car was also smoking much of the race, and could not get up to the front of the field to challenge Matthew Stutt in his 2nd Gen RX7. The rest of E was pretty spread out.Mike Pepitone backed his Volvo 1800 into a tire wall and the rear looks pretty bent.

Sam went home after Saturday, and E was pretty much a repeat of the Saturday race. Charles Chance made it out in his Elva, and was able to catch up to, and pass, Jim Harrison. Unfortunately, he was still having problems of some sort, as the car died in the middle of turn 1. Doubly unfortunate was the fact that Mike MacQueen was right behind him and accelerating. Both ended up off course, with Mike having a caved in nose. Both drivers were all right.
As for the rest of H, Frank took the early lead, with Cason and Al chasing. Frank lost oil pressure about lap 4 and pulled off. About the same time, Cason turned a 1:28.49, and after a waving yellow in 5 for a few laps, put in a few more in the 28 range to pull out a lead on Al. Bill Hunter took 3rd and Jeff Janoska was peddling as hard as he could with his IT B spec Honda that he started from the back in.

Graham did not make it out this weekend in the lone GTL entry.

No major damage, on quick inspection. Radiator (it was ugly anyway),oil cooler, glue the bits of RF fender back together,straighten out the sheet metal of the center section and I'll be good to go> Hood popped back straight after I got it off, so that will just need paint and a few small repairs. I had no place to go when Charles' engine suddenly cut out right in the apex. It could have been ugly since we were passing two cars who were right beside us on the outside, Charles bobbled some but got it straightened out and thus avoided more carnage. Bodywork, yuk.

Mike -

Glad the damage is relatively easy to fix! And yes, that radiator was indeed ugly. Very impressive that the hood popped back out.

Good to see and race with you and the rest of the Prod gang, I had a great weekend and fun racing.

Special congrats to Cason for a great drive Sunday, though I admit to having had more fun on Saturday winning by a decisive 0.015s! :shock:

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Missed being out there with you all. As of Thursday I still didn't have first gear, the fuel system wasn't working properly and my hood took an unfortunate flight during a test drive down the driveway and ended up in pieces, so it seemed the gods were not smiling on me. Better to heed the signs and bag the effort. Tom got further into the transmission and found a bunch of broken teeth floating around, so probably just as well we didn't push it; I'd taken the last couple outings without first gear and it was probably only going to get worse if I kept pushing it.

I'd love to take it up to NJ this weekend but it's still disassembled across the garage, and we need to start pushing to get Tom's car ready for the Majors at the Glen next weekend, so looks like NJ is out, too. Hopefully will get it all back together and get out in July...

It was an interesting weekend from the grid worker perspective. A couple pieces of wildlife ended up as many pieces of wildlife: a deer took out the side of a Miata between T9 and T10 in spectacular, yucky fashion, and something got nailed in T4, with the radio call being "Bring a wrecker and a shovel". Yuck. Drivers were starting to flag some in the heat as Sunday progressed, and during my split of the ITB / ITS group late in the day, I had at least 3 cars head straight towards me before the driver realized "Oh yeah - I'm supposed to go where she's pointing..."

There was a small amount of true carnage in some of the other groups, with mechanical failures being the bulk of the problems. But small bore seemed to have the most problems - with 4 cars, I believe, being off in T1 on Sunday. That radio call from control was "Thank you 1, you have now met your quota and cannot collect any more cars". Mike - I'm glad it's better than it looked. It was pretty ugly. Mike Pepitone's car is pretty bad. I talked with him Sunday morning and he was feeling ok, but the car was pretty badly torn up, with damage up to the firewall in the back. Sounded like something let go and spun him into the wall, with him just being along for the ride unfortunately.

Here's the deer ...

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/4550-poach ... entry63099

I saw photos of Mike's car on FB and felt real bad for him. He's a good competitor, consistently out there having fun, supporting the region while driving a really cool car. The damage looked serious enough that I wondered if we'd ever see it out there again. Glad he is ok.

Also glad to hear Jim H. is back out there.

I will have it back together and shoot the paint Friday. Going to be a little ugly but it'll be good enough for the rest of the year - you can tell I am slacking off in the body department because I am just going to paint the damaged-repaired areas with a preval unit. again - body work - yuck.

Back