MARRS 1 - This weekend (4/21-22)

jimmypet

Hey Guys,
Wish I could be there with you. Car not quite back together.
Have a great weekend and post updates when you get home.
Small bore signup looked awesome on the website.

Drive Safe
jimmy p

We had a great turn out for small bore (the largest group of the weekend). Most of yesterday was beautiful - the best kind of days to spend at the track until it poured after group 7 and then never really stopped raining ... and may still be raining while I type this.

Everything I own that goes racing is soaked.

My boy Mike Collins (Meathead Racing) driving the Sheetz MX-5 in STL was the class of the field in the rain.

Thanks for posting a report Fred.
I was watching the weather and I feared you guys were going to get pretty wet.
I wish the results posted to Mylaps in real time.

Hopefully the rain brought no dents or dings to the group.

I don't think I will see a MARRS event for a while now due to work conflicts. It seems every weekend I have work lays right over the MARRS schedule.
I think MARRS 6 is my first real shot at a MARRS race this year.
I'll be watching this board for updates though, hopefully you guys will keep me up to speed.
Cheers
jimmy

Jimmy
It was a great weekend in spite of all the liquid traction that was falling from the sky.
MARRS 1 was presented by Sheetz, purveyors of fine made to order foods, coffee, gasoline, beer, and other tasty stuff. The Sheetz folks parked the coffee truck in the Winner's Circle on Sunday morning. They began serving delicious coffee, hot chocolate, mocha's, latte's, iced coffee, and smoothies to everyone free of charge. It was very well received with the cold damp conditions. All the beverages they served were free of charge and made to order right there.
I had to cut myself off after the fourth cup. Sheetz also provided the weekend Pace Car, the Sheetz Yummer 3 (Hummer 3).
Big thanks to Fred McConnell for making this happen.

The racing was a soup sandwich all day Sunday.
Mrs. Nesbit packed up and went home early,(I think Kenny was afraid that I would drink all his beer). Greg Roddy also left early, I think that he had "cumbustion" issues (I do not know for sure, but it sounds good).
Results
HP "Lightening" Macqueen won, Evan Webb second, Greg Nagy third.
FP Jim Harrison won, with a great drive in the rain. Jim also passed a bunch of faster cars on the front straight when about six drivers forgot what the white flag means, as the ambulance and fire truck came out onto the front straight on Lap 2.
EP Scott Lowrey won, "Big Daddy" Darin Stonesifer second. Tim Cashman broke a rocker arm on Saturday and went home.
GTL no entries
GTP Bruce Shelton won, Jim Corcoran second, Eric Neves DNF.
LC (Legend Car) Rob Conner won, Tyler Reynolds second, Bob Conner third, and Greg Rittenhouse fourth. All four of these rookies handled themselves very well and proved that the Legends Car does fit into the Small Bore production group very nicely. BRAVO!!!!!
STL "Uncle Meat" Mike Collins ran away from the field in the rain in his SpecMX5 car. He had a great drive, Ted Cahall finished second. David Jacobs rolled his SpecMX5 car (STL) drivers left on the exit of T2 on Lap 1. He was okay, but pretty mad. I am sure that the car will be back.
STU John Alexandroupolus won in his Porsche 944S2, Anthony Kalkandis finished second in his Porsche 944(?), and Bob Clifton finished third.
SPU "Curly" Phil Ackley won in his Baby Grand, Roger Austin pulled off early in his Baby Grand with a header issue.

Great racing in spite of the crappy weather.
I am looking forward to seeing everyone at VIR on Mother's Day weekend.
cheers
dave parker

LOL !!! Dave, I think I would have been much better off racing in an off song car than I was standing around in that weather watching it ..... at least I would have had a nice warm drivers suit on !! The motor spitting out a spark plug on Sarurday was the final straw, car acted like it didn't want to be there.

Kenny
Actually running on three cylinders in that weather might not have been the disadvantage that it sounds like.
Besides, it gave me a chance to call you a girl (Mrs. Nesbit) without offending the nice ladies that actually race with us (Beth, Carolyn, Kathy, Mitra, and Mrs. Parker).
You could have joined me in the "Bill Scott climate controlled Studio" high atop Summit Point Motorsports Park. It was at least dry in there. Although I would have made you talk, and probably would have asked you a bunch of embarrassing questions.

Did you get the trophy cups that I left on your car Sunday morning?

cheers
dave parker

Hey Dave, yes I did get the trophy's ... thanks, and anybody that thinks you and I having a micophone is a good idea would soon be proven wrong ...

Hey Jimmy! I was hoping to see you there. I was the lone E30 in the field. :(

I had a good time. Car isn't running 100% but it was fun. Think it might be time to tear into my engine electrical system. Little late for a winter project...

Darren would've beat me in his 911 on Sunday but he couldn't see. :mrgreen: I had a big foggy patch on the left side of my window so bad that I had to guess at the turn in for 3. Basically just tiptoed around the track until I saw the faint waving of a flag at start/finish!

At one point, I thought I might actually be in the overall lead... what a dreamer. Fred, I think that was you that blew out of nowhere and lapped me. Good thing since I was starting to doze off. :wink: Good times!

Scott, possibly. I enjoyed racing with the small bore group and look forward to the rest of the season. We have a great bunch of drivers.

I slowed down a little after a spin early, because I was alone and felt I was too far away to race with Jim. I was getting a little quicker toward the end only to learn that Jim had gone off too and had I kept "racing" I might have had a better finish. Lesson learned.

I don't have a lot of rain experience, but enjoyed it. With a new car, I've got some more tweaking to do with my brakes, but I'm happy with my car.

Back