MARRS 1 Report? Help a brother out who could not be there

Yes. HP was close with the top 4 all within the same second and 19-22 on the grid. Cason Kirkland got away a bit at the start but Frank Jones caught back up to him as Cason was racing in close quarters with Graham 's GTL crx. Mike MacQueen and I were bogged down a bit by some STUs that flew by and parked in the corner. My motor was not making power, so I could not pull past Mike but could really make him worry. Apparently too much as about lap 10 he moved to center of track going into one, went too deep and spun. The car rolled back across the track and he collected me.
Both of us got restarted, but in going from 2-3, my steering wheel was in the 2 o'clock position. I got it down to the carousel and parked it. Little too passed to watch after that. Cason and Frank swapped positions a few times and apparently both had offs at different points. By the time my car was towed to my shop and I got back to the paddock, the trophy presentations were over so I missed out on the rest of the finishes.

Side note of prod interest - Mike Pepitone was in a FC for the weekend. The repair of the Volvo is a loooong term project.

Administrative note - a request was made at drivers meeting to switch 1st practice grid from random to previous MARRS qualifying times. That got a rousing "sure, whatever" from the group so the change will happen for the next SP MARRS.

One final note. If I had an entry for everyone who said to me "I have an HP that I should bring out." we could almost go back to a more 'traditional' small bore run group.

Thanks for the report.

BTW, I have an HP that I should bring out. :whistle:

(And will later on this year. Anyone with a Prod car in the Mid Atlantic area should out to come run MARRS, we've got a great Prod group, especially HP.)

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco

We have 2 HP Spridgets we should bring out but we're not interested in running around behind a bunch of tin tops. I am a remnant of the old days when Prod cars were roadsters and tin tops were GT.

At risk of getting into an argument, the (blistering fast) lap record at Summit Point was set last year by Mr Bartell who at last count was driving a good old fashioned Spridget.

Since then the Spridgets have gotten lighter and the Hondas heavier. As per Greg's (Sprite driver) report, he was dicing with another Sprite (Mike MacQueen) while Frank Jones (Sprite) swapped the lead with Cason Kirkland (CRX). This is indeed a Regional not a Majors, but it's a darned good regional series for Prod.

Summit Point is a fairly well balanced handling vs power track where the old school roadsters are, IMHO, very fairly classed against the newer tintops.

I personally love seeing the various types and vintages of cars running together in Prod these days, and I go back to when it was Prod and Sedan!

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Don Feller":2a41vbsd said:
We have 2 HP Spridgets we should bring out but we're not interested in running around behind a bunch of tin tops. I am a remnant of the old days when Prod cars were roadsters and tin tops were GT.
Don - I'm a "remnant of the old days" as well, and having won the Runoffs twice I really have nothing to gain by continuing to run. But even though we might not have a chance to win the Runoffs at most tracks, we still can do some damage, especially during the regular season.

I still think that at the right track, in the right hands, a Spridget could win the Runoffs. The car would have to be very good and the driver better than me, but it could be done.

You are a good friend, but we both know that the main reason that you aren't racing is your business was off for a few years. You have two young and very capable sons that would jump in those cars in a minute, and you would have just as much fun doing it now as you ever did.

The spridgets guys still need to come to the track even if you feel that you are not competitive. You need to be there for data for making adjustments. If all the spridgets stay at home and only the tin tops run, you will never get any adjustments and will be obsoleting yourself. You need guys like Ron to continue to race for more data for the club to work with.

Will Perry

Has anyone's HP car ever been "data'd" by the club? Meaning a box in the car not just visual or split times.

JOleson":c38humui said:
Has anyone's HP car ever been "data'd" by the club? Meaning a box in the car not just visual or split times.
I've carried a box and I know Dan has too. I never saw any results but I believe that Dan has.

Greg - sorry about the incident, I was having some serious brake balance issues, had no practice or qual time to sort. You be glad to know I backed the car into a tree unloading, so I have a smushed RR corner to fix as penance.

Al Seim":cbt5qt1x said:
At risk of getting into an argument, the (blistering fast) lap record at Summit Point was set last year by Mr Bartell who at last count was driving a good old fashioned Spridget.

Since then the Spridgets have gotten lighter and the Hondas heavier. As per Greg's (Sprite driver) report, he was dicing with another Sprite (Mike MacQueen) while Frank Jones (Sprite) swapped the lead with Cason Kirkland (CRX). This is indeed a Regional not a Majors, but it's a darned good regional series for Prod.

Summit Point is a fairly well balanced handling vs power track where the old school roadsters are, IMHO, very fairly classed against the newer tintops.

I personally love seeing the various types and vintages of cars running together in Prod these days, and I go back to when it was Prod and Sedan!

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6

Just a correction for zChris' sake. Mike drives a Midget. :p

And we have the potential to have a better prod racing series, if only people would bring those parked cars out the garage. Or switch over from vintage. On our best weekends, the MARRS prod group brings to mind racing in the old days (I was there, 1973-1976, G prod Midget, what used to be Cendiv).

Back