MAM ?

R. J. Sorensen

I heard a rumor that MAM is NOT flooded and is open for business.

Can this be so?

Can anyone confirm or refute?

Thank you,

R. J. Sorensen

I-29 is closed from mile marker 35 (just north of the track) south into Missouri related to a levee problem at Percival and flooding near Hamburg - a Mills County mandatory evacuation is in place for west of I-29 which includes the track - not sure but think the back roads to hwy 34 are open to get one to Plattsmouth - the Bellevue bridge has one lane under water - the Missouri water level near the track is up six inches since yesterday - numbing all the way around -every day things get worse - no light shining ..... the MAM web site says everything is closed .....

Mitch, Frank,
Any rumors about if, where, when the August N/N might happen? Does anyone in Nebraska Region want to relocate that race weekend?
Thanks, Peter

been a dream to hold a National at Hastings - think there are some trying to make that happen ..... Peter, it is said on the Nebraska Region web site that they still plan to race at MAM in August - that floats into the wind of the Corp as they say the high water will remain through August - the fields are all saturated - one must remember that MAM is situated on what was the old main channel of the river (1920s) - since the water can not just disappear into the earth it will remain and nurture with any rain falls - there will be some evaporation - the paths that keep the water away from the track also contain the water once it gets there - guess you could pump it out - the flooding in the above images mostly related to the heavy rain falls of the last week - when MAM was invisioned they thought about including a ski boat racing area - perhaps that dream has come true .....

I've also heard rumors that Hastings is the backup track.

Agreed, the ground is highly saturated in that area and the water looked too clear to be river water.

The Nebraska Region has tentatively scheduled Hastings for the same dates. When I was down at MAM for the last race and then for the BMW school I talked with some SCCA NR region people about the fact that most drivers where still looking for it to be a double national.

Most of the issues with the Hastings track (MPH) have to deal with staging, the start finish line and the timing tower. The total paddock area may be a little smaller but it is hard to tell for sure. MPH has a large grass area over to one side. They also have space over by their condos that could be used also.

The weekend in August isn't going to be hugely subscribed anyway so Hastings I'm sure will work fine. I'll be there if they have it!

We (NR BOG) is fighting to make MPH work, but we are getting Much resistance from the powers from above..

Moving it to MPH will also have some worker issues, so if any one has any super powers or willing to help, Please let me know! The track and amenities are top notch!
The new gators took about 2-3 sec off my lap times.. T4 in my ITB GTI is about 5mph faster!!
We have resolved some issues with Paddock space, Grid space, Tech... Still need to get it ok-ed for a National.. (these are the super powers needed)

Thanks
Lael

[email protected]
402-617-7451
http://www.racemph.com/cms/

Lael Cleland":3ikzqaxg said:
Possibly HPT, But we would have to move the date, and pay twice+ as much for the track..

I love HPT, but not that much!

Karl McColl":3ikzqaxg said:
MPH will likely draw both drivers and workers from Colorado as well.

Good to hear!

Its about a 6 hr pull from Denver. I've worked an event there a few years ago and we co-sanctioned a regional event with Neb region in '09. We had a great time and would look forward to going back for a National. What date would it be if it happens?

Hopefully the same dates of August 20-21? We will be there. Chris and I move Andrea into her new dorm room on August 18, and then will head for Nebraska (or Iowa, but I doubt that is going to happen).

I was doing some read on the DMVR forums and found this post interesting.

I was told two weeks ago that SCCA has ruled they cannot hold a National Race at Hastings (let alone a Double national), and they have been informed of this. While Hastings has it as tentative on their schedule, it will take National to allow it first. So if they plan to go to Hastings, they will have to change to a Regional format. My understanding is the track facilities and volunteer issues have to be corrected before htey can hold a National Event.

But they could hold one at Heartland, about thier only choice, I am guessing. Hopefully they can figure something out that will work for all.

RD

Link to thread: http://www.forums.dmvrscca.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2412

I am trying understand the difference between the track requirements of holding a double regional compared to a double national? I did a quick check I can't can't find anything in the GCR and the operators manual that points out the differences.

MPH has held SCCA races at the track last year and had made updates since that time.

Understand that there has been some "bad blood" between DMRV and the Nebraska Region for the last year.

Response to my questions on the DMVR forums:

My understanding is that before a track can hold a National SCCA Event, it must be inspected to make sure it meets the minimum standards of ability to put on the event, such as sufficient paddock space for cars and their haulers, etc. This is done to all new tracks. In addition, the tracks must go through regular inspections as well. This includes track inspection,hot grid, grid, paddock, turn in areas, etc.

When MPH held their regional event a year ago, several deficiencies were noted, and the track was given several things that needed corrected in order to hold SCCA races there. They were told that they will have to hold antheer regional race to see if the deficiencies were corrected, and then they may be able to get approval for a National race. Just having the track fix some problems would not demonstrate the volunteer situation is handled. Hence the requirement to hold another regional first.

I do know that two topics was the paddock was way too small to accomodate the amount of car haulers that typically show up for a national race, adn their was a shortage of volunteer workers (I heard rumors they had to hire people off the street to work, but not sure if that was true, it was a rumor). I think I heard there was not enough grid or hot gird area as well for staging all of the cars a National race would possibly attract, but not sure if this is accurate or not.

Demostrating that they can attract the neccessary workers to hold an event is critical to the safety of an event. But the key point is that there are a bunch of requirements during the track inspection procedures that would identify some of the areas that might still need fixed.

To me this is just political BS because a regional race could have the same "issues" as a national race.

To me the paddock at MPH is 100% better then MAM. The Oct 2010 at MPH had 46 entries and the paddock was about 1/2 to 2/3 full with out using the grass and no paddock marshalling. The last national/IT Tour race at MAM in June 2011 had 87 entries. These includes counting cars that are double entered.

RonInSD":j07epop1 said:
To me this is just political BS because a regional race could have the same "issues" as a national race.

Couldn't agree more!

RonInSD":j07epop1 said:
To me the paddock at MPH is 100% better then MAM.

MAM gets zero to minimal upkeep and is okayed for Nationals. MPH may not be at the level of some bigger tracks but, IMHO the effort to make it a great track is apparent. Refer to the first quote.

Information from the NRSCCA forum.

This was discussed heavily in the latest board meeting, and the "fixes" for the national requirements are minor and are in discussion and open for inspection. A decision will be made in the very near future about the status of the double national event. Hosting it at Hastings is a very real possibility.

I have sent my letter of support of holding the double national at MPH to the CRB.

I have talked with a couple people and right now the feeling is that if MPH does not get approved for the Aug double national will not happen at all. MAM still has water covering the paddock and water is right off the track surface. The water will most likely be there for a while longer. There has been talk of moving the event to HPT but these dates are already taken and the track costs are a lot higher.

If you support this event being a double national at MPH please send e-mails to the CRB (http://www.crbscca.com), Terry Ozment (tozment at scca d0t com) and Lisa Noble (noblerace at aol d0t com) Again this is the only real foreseeable option for this double national.

Workers and drivers both need to support this initiative if they want an Aug MidDiv double national at all. This issue has become a little bit political so please try and be polite in your e-mails and to the point of you support holding the race at MPH.

There is a belief that MPH has "issues" based on the SCCA track standards. It is my understanding that none of the "issues" are on track safety since the track was designed and approved for SCCA racing at a regional level. Most of these "issues" are the same for MAM. MAM has been approved for national racing but it still has the same issues along with other issues.

Back