MAM Reopens

R. J. Sorensen

Just copied this from the internet:

"The flood destroyed their facilities. The Mid-America Motorplex near Pacific Junction was under water for months, but now has a green light for racing.

The rev of the engine, and the smoke from the tires is what racers have been missing for four months. Sunday, about 100 cars and bikes hit this track to race one more time before calling it a season.

78-year-old Moe Hagglund has been racing at Mid-America since it opened. He says he's glad to be back on his home turf.

"It's a thrill, its excitement, every time I go down the track it's a hell of a good feeling, really nice,” Hagglund explained. "It's great, you can see where the water was on the guard rails, you can see how far the water came up on the guard rails."

FEMA estimates $1-3 million in damage to the entire grounds. Taking 60 loads of dirt from the drag strip and road course, cleaning up the mold, making repairs, and painting kept workers busy for the last four weeks. They've spent $80,000 to get functioning again.

"I came down here in august and I had some huge reservations but I've never given up hope,” said Jim Howe, the Operations Manager for Mid-America Motorplex. "The racers are so enthusiastic, donations are flowing in, and we’re going to be making a lot of repairs with some of the donation money.”

During the flood, 3-4 feet of stagnant water covered the track. The Mid-America Motorplex is in the process of finishing an application with FEMA. They're looking to possibly get an Iowa Tourism Grant, which they would use to improve their parking, and buildings. The motorplex will open next spring for the 2012 season in either late March or early April."

RJS

MAM has done their Fast Fridays the last two weeks on the road course and the drag strip was open on Saturday and Sunday. They also did their annual Boo Bash race and Booze Lap Hay Ride around the track this weekend.

From friends that went down, the road course is in good shape but was still a little dirty in some turns. There is very little grass left off the track. They are also still working to get the bathrooms and other facilities back online.

Back