MAM - June 4/5 R/N/IT - Registration Open!

KelleyHux

You're all invited ...

Come join the Des Moines Valley and St Louis Regions at MidAmerica Motorplex (Pacific Junction, IA) for the "Twisted Deja Vu Regional / National / IT Tour" event on June 4/5, 2011.

On-line registration available at:
http://www.dlbracing.com - club: Des Moines Valley Region - All Events

Or:
http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubraci ... &LMID=3138

Registration closes on Wednesday, June 1 at 6:00 PM EDT / 5:00 PM CDT.

Come join us for a fun weekend.
If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to ask!

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR Registration Chief
KelleyHux <at> yahoo <dot> com

Corp of Engineers put out the warning this morning that hwy 34 just south of the track could become flooded as the Missouri might breach there and go over the levees – already much flooding just to the north and south of the track – possible that I-29 might be closed close to Hamburg, Iowa affecting traffic south to Kansas City – predicted that the Missouri will reach levels close to the track that have not been experienced in 60 years – in the early 1920s the track was almost located in the center of the main channel of the Missouri so the water table is and remains high …..

Sunday's Results

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=666952

I went down to the race on Sunday. It was a great day at the track. It was a typical June hot and humid one at MAM. There were some good prod races but over all turn out was a little down.

Unfortunately this may be the last race at MAM for a while. The Missouri River is really rising fast and they are expecting anywhere from 4 to 10 feet of water over the track area with in a week or so. The track surface will most likely survive the flood. MAM ownership/management has not really started any prep work to save any of the buildings. Other businesses and homes in the area are building berms around their builds. I hope this changes very soon now that this weekends racing is over.

Like Eric Prill said at the track, who would vision that MiDiv would have track count issues all with in 2 years.

I know there is a lot of discussion on the rest of the races scheduled at MAM and other changes to the MiDiv schedule.

RonInSD":29gu4sjf said:
Sunday's Results

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=666952

I went down to the race on Sunday. It was a great day at the track. It was a typical June hot and humid one at MAM. There were some good prod races but over all turn out was a little down.

Unfortunately this may be the last race at MAM for a while. The Missouri River is really rising fast and they are expecting anywhere from 4 to 10 feet of water over the track area with in a week or so. The track surface will most likely survive the flood. MAM ownership/management has not really started any prep work to save any of the buildings. Other businesses and homes in the area are building berms around their builds. I hope this changes very soon now that this weekends racing is over.

Like Eric Prill said at the track, who would vision that MiDiv would have track count issues all with in 2 years.

I know there is a lot of discussion on the rest of the races scheduled at MAM and other changes to the MiDiv schedule.

It was very strange to see the Wendy's and Subway closed with huge dirt berms built up around them at highway 2 and I29.

Congrats to Sam Henry for taking the FP record on Saturday. With what's about to happen, that may stick for a while.

Curtis":6ki4jp1z said:
Was Jesse driving an E Miata or the ex-Davis MGB again??

He was driving the new MX-5 Miata. It is a great looking car!!!!

I will have picture uploaded later today.

EPrill":2msbk8w2 said:
It was very strange to see the Wendy's and Subway closed with huge dirt berms built up around them at highway 2 and I29.

Congrats to Sam Henry for taking the FP record on Saturday. With what's about to happen, that may stick for a while.

Eric,

They are reporting a small breach in the levy by Hamburg, IA which is the next exit right south of Nebraska City. They have evacuated the town but the Core is working to repair the levy to protect the town.

There is part of me that thinks that if the track is flooded out and goes under financially that all the local car clubs (SCCA, BMW, Porche, Viper, Drag Racing, etc) should get together and buy it out. I believe this is similar to they way High Plains Raceway in Colorado is setup. One trouble I see about this plan is the Des Moise and the Nebraska chapters of SCCA are not on the best of terms lately and they would be the bigger users of the track in my option. I know it is a pipe dream but some of the best ideas start as pipe dreams...LOL

RonInSD":jiku5pmz said:
EPrill":jiku5pmz said:

Eric,

They are reporting a small breach in the levy by Hamburg, IA which is the next exit right south of Nebraska City. They have evacuated the town but the Core is working to repair the levy to protect the town.

There is part of me that thinks that if the track is flooded out and goes under financially that all the local car clubs (SCCA, BMW, Porche, Viper, Drag Racing, etc) should get together and buy it out. I believe this is similar to they way High Plains Raceway in Colorado is setup. One trouble I see about this plan is the Des Moise and the Nebraska chapters of SCCA are not on the best of terms lately and they would be the bigger users of the track in my option. I know it is a pipe dream but some of the best ideas start as pipe dreams...LOL

Ron- High Plains was sort of built with that premise, but it was a war chest built over many years from the clubs racing at Second Creek. The regions and equivalents in other orgs didn't have to pony up a big check necessarily, they had contributed small amounts over time. Someone from CO tell me if I've got that wrong but I believe it was something like that.

A lot of racers donated their racing funds to make this track happen... along with loans and a lot of work by the CAMA member club's representatives.

Here's the writeup:

The genesis of HPR was back in 2003 when the regional amateur racing clubs realized the days of their home track (the old Second Creek Raceway near Denver International Airport) were numbered. A serious effort was then launched and the CAMA (Colorado Amateur Motorsports Associates) entity was formed expressly for the job of creating a new track for the clubs.

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/history.html

Here are photos that I took at the race on Sunday.

Link to the full Gallery.
http://ronleiferman.smugmug.com/Cars/SC ... 286_wc5LX8

DSC7514-M.jpg

DSC7220-M.jpg

DSC7221-M.jpg

DSC7591-M.jpg

RonInSD":25iwbunz said:
EPrill":25iwbunz said:

Eric,

As was pointed out by someone who I will allow to remain nameless: the best time to make an offer on the track would be when it's sitting there under 5 feet of water....

jigou":2pakbjts said:
As was pointed out by someone who I will allow to remain nameless: the best time to make an offer on the track would be when it's sitting there under 5 feet of water....

I think the thing that is worth the most is the "EPA" permits for the track. If the buildings are not protected they may be a total loss. The track surface will most likely need replacement but the paddock surface may improve if it floods...LOL

At this time, MAM plans to still be open for the BMW school this weekend. No word from the BMW club if they are holding the school or not. Wait and see....

video sucs:

i couldn't keep up for long...
my chase cam lens got broke on pace lap...
i'm not very close...
first two laps only...
jesse can explain how I took him with great skill on the start ;)

but if you want to see the back of Jesse's car in motion... youtube, search: springfielddyno, mam, 2011 EP

Sam

jigou":3epeq5t0 said:
RonInSD":3epeq5t0 said:
EPrill":3epeq5t0 said:

Eric,

So how much does a 2.3 mile race track under 5 feet of river water go for these days?

red986s":a35vo6gq said:
So how much does a 2.3 mile race track under 5 feet of river water go for these days?

Track is still "dry" as of 7 PM today. They started prep work to protect the timing tower but not much else.

I think time will tell if the levees hold up over time.

I-29 is closed north of Omaha with water going over both north and south lanes.

my home is two miles east of the track and well above the Missouri bottoms - Amtrack main line, which is about a mile south of the track, they have been working on for several days building up the rail bed on the north side - the John Deere facility adjacent to the track has a 10 foot high levee about it - with todays heavy rains the farm fields are all saturated - the major levees in the vicinity of the track along the Missouri are still six to eight feet above the water - the dirt haulers who have been working on the approach to the new four-lane bridge over the Missouri seem to have been diverted - still lots of trucks hauling material - seems endless - the briefing given locally by officials predict the entire Missouri bottoms will be under water which means the levees in the vacinity of the track will have been breached

The trucks are building a levee on the north side of the rail tracks. They are not compacting the dirt in lifts and they are covering it with plastic. The trucks where going all day Saturday, Saturday and will into Sunday. Not sure what they are doing on the south side of the tracks. This rail line is one of the major east west lines that cross the US and moves a lot of coal for the area power plants. As every one know if they have tried to sleep at the track.

All this truck traffic has put and betting on Jesup Ave the road on the south edge of the track. It is starting to break up and areas and is getting some major dips in it where the culverts go under the road.

Staff at MAM has started to do some prep work to protect the buildings. They are starting to move equipment out and to higher ground. They are also working to remove some the plastic fencing along the pit lane. They have not started to any building of major levees around the building yet but they do have piles of sand bags around the buildings but not placed yet. There is a "Fine the Line" school scheduled for this coming weekend.

The river is currently at 32.5 ft above and the levees are 36 ft high by the track. The river is projected to be at 33.3 ft on Friday but the weather forecast is for area and going north of Omaha is for rain Monday and Tuesday and then again on Friday.

You can check the river height by Plattsmouth, NE by using this link.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... 1,1,1,1%22

The Nebraska Region has tentatively booked the Aug 19th-21st dates at MPH in Hastings, NE in case MAM does go under in one way or another. Some SCCA people that I talked with this weekend had concerns about putting on a national at MPH but I said that there were a lot of Midiv racers looking for this to be a double national. Some of the things we talked about is paddock space, (MPH does has a paved paddock area and also large grass area to the east of this area) plus areas by their condos that could be used. Time and scoring stand, and the flag stand on the front straight and if a run group had a large number of cars some of them could be still going through the last 180 degree turn when the green flag is dropped. We talked about maybe a temporary flag stand on the back straight. To me there are really no major show stoppers just things that need to be sorted out before hand if the event is moved to MPH.

Here is a layout of MPH.
0f.jpg

1 The Guardrail Clubhouse and Classroom
2 The Admission’s and Security Building
3 The Timing and Scoring Trailer
4 The Restrooms
5 The Concession Stand
6 The Paddock Area – with 30 RV Hookups
7 Condo & Studio Garages

I also have some videos out on YouTube from the October race last year. The track is a typical Wilson Design track placed in a field in the plains.

I drove by MAM this morning. Both 190th and Jesup are getting pretty bad from the truck traffic. John Deer has completed their levee and the work on the train track is still going strong. MAM looks very vunerable.

MPH is a good track. Maintained much better than MAM. Hotels and restaurants (nice ones) are close by. If your wallet is fat you could even rent a condo/garage at MPH. I really enjoyed the Oct weekend there.

red986s":3ac6l9zt said:
John Deer has completed their levee

What we were "laughing" about is that they used a CAT and a Volvo and not John Deere equipment to build the levee around the dealership.... they were still on proud display on top of the levee this weekend.

This morning there was a major breach in the levee by Hamburg, IA which is right south of Nebraska City. This is the same area that has been having minor breaches in the last week. This one is 50 feet wide and is not repairable. This will most likley close I29 from Iowa Highway 2 to an exit 23 miles south near Rock Port, Missouri by Thursday. Soon you may not be able to get to MAM unless you are local or with out adding a 100 miles to your trip.

Based on what people have heard from the core, the worry is not that the levee will be topped, it is more of the treat of a breach due to the long term exposure to the water.

The core has to get the level of the reservoirs down this summer in preparation for next winters run off which they are saying may even be worse. The water level in the reservoir above the Oahe Dam by Pierre, SD were with in 2 inches of going over the top of the flood gates at which time they would not be able to control the water.

Back