Lotus 7 S2 help

disquek

Looking for someone who as experience with steering rack mount reinforcement on an S2 Seven. Looking for design ideas.

Please email me at disquek at yahoo dot com

Thank you!
Kyle

Kyle,
What is the issue. You can pretty much do anything you want with a 7. They were kit cars. I've four that I can go look at and they are all different.

James -r

I know that when Sevens were modified with bigger tires, the rack mounts weren't up to the loads.

There are various methods of reinforcing the rack mounts and making new beefier ones.

I'm looking for the tribal wisdom about the best designs.

-Kyle

If I can find the time next week I'll get some pictures. I have Prill's old car and a couple of Andrew Barron cars readily available.

James -r

I ran struts across the car- from opposite mount to opposite mount . Then welded the originals much better with small gussets.
Edit; The tube size was 065 and needed sleeves for a solid strut mount. I split a 1in tube and used that as a "splint" in the rack mount area.
The welding done with either tig or gas and RG65 rod. same as 4130 aircraft rod.
MM

I made some new blocks out of steel. Same principle of stock, but not the flimsy aluminum pieces that had 1/4" bolts running through them. Those always loosened up and were prone to moving around. I then used some heavier bolts to fasten them to the chassis.

James can probably take a picture of the other James' car, but it basically looks like the old setup --just with stronger components to handle the grip.

Thanks Guys. Pictures would be great. If you can't post them, email me at disquek at yahoo dot com

Right now my theory is supporting the top and bottom of the stock rack mounts with tubular supports that extend to the frame rails on either side.

I will also look into making new beefier rack mounts. The issue with bigger bolts is that the holes for the 1/4" bolts are right at the edge of the lower mount plate and the nuts barely fit now. Bigger bolts will require a rethink of that stock lower chassis bracket.

-Kyle

Maybe grind the side of 8mm allen bolt and insert from the bottom? My customer car had 8mm that you had to lift up the rack to pass the bolts through. Birken S7.
I still find it "interesting" that on a new car they used most of the original problems.

Back