Lexan Windshield Question

Clark Lincoln

I'm installing a Lexan windshield that will be held in with #8 button head bolts. Do I still need to fit the external aluminum clips the GCR requires on a stock windshield? I assume the three inside straps are still needed. (GT6 EP)

Go figure on the clips. I have about 30 #8's holding in my windshield but you still need the clips.

If the windshield comes out with this setup I really don't think the clips are going to do much other than maybe still be on the tub.

Wouldn't be a LOT better to NOT drill holes in the Lexan at all and retain the windshield solely with the clips in the stock windshield channel? This way a windshield could be slid in and out by just loosening (not removing) the screws and swinging the clips out of the way (use nutserts on the back side so you can do the whole job from the outside). If EZ to do it might make maintenenance on dash stuff tons easier. 2 friends of mine (FP Honda, GT2 Nissan 350Z) do it this way and it works great. The FP guy changes windshields for rain so it has to be fast. Also, small holes in Lexan or plexiglass are generally highly discouraged as they tend to be the source of spider crack initiation.

+1 for what Jay says. I've done it this way with some silicone sealer type stuff to keep the water out. Works great, no problems.

I use just the clips and foam weatherseal on the pinchweld. It didn't leak, even in the 2009 Runoffs EP Monsoon.

No holes would most likely be best even though I have the same WS now for 3 or 4 years and have had no problems with cracking. It would make maint. a lot easier just never felt as though it was as secure.

Les,

Yes Lexan is far less sensitive to cracking than plexiglass....it had better be since it costs 3X as much. I would still isolate the windshield with rubber washers on both sides, don't tighten BHCS fully, use blue loctite. Get the rubber washer, plus tons of other very cool stuff, at www.aircraftspruce.com

Jay

I am running a NASCAR WS that has been cut down and am using a 3m product for cushion around the whole perimeter, I did not crank down on the bolts, and used nylocs on the backside.

Jay so true but she is good looking and I never had a lot of luck with nutserts anyway

After watching a guy in a S2 car get nailed yesterday with a piece of broken wing from an FB car........
yeah I'll keep my windshield thanks.
Don't know if it got him in the head or not, but it was damn close. And at 150mph that coulda been ugly.

The rule no longer requires clips if you have a polycarbonate substitute.

"In place of clips, polycarbonate windscreens may
be mounted using a fastener spaced a minimum of every 12
inches across the top and sides, with a minimum of four across
the bottom. Alternatively, the bottom may be captured in a
channel."

This is the most common method of attachment for GT cars, especially the larger, faster ones.

James

James Rogerson":15k1m2bt said:
The rule no longer requires clips if you have a polycarbonate substitute.

"In place of clips, polycarbonate windscreens may
be mounted using a fastener spaced a minimum of every 12
inches across the top and sides, with a minimum of four across
the bottom. Alternatively, the bottom may be captured in a
channel."

This is the most common method of attachment for GT cars, especially the larger, faster ones.

James

James where do you find that change in the rules????

GT now recognizes the professional series installation method as described in 9.1.2 for GT1-2 and GT3-L. There isn't any reason to now request that fastening method and get the error/omission handled immediately. If it works for a 180 mph car it should prove acceptable for a 130 mph car. You could easily run a car in FP and GTL with simply the addition or deletion of the SIR. Does the windscreen suddenly become unsafe at FP speed vs. GTL pace (couldn't force myself to type "light speed").

James

James I was wondering how I might have missed this in the Prod rules because I looked and asked.

Back