Lexan and windsheild wipers

Ian Green

The more I think of this the worse it sounds. So since I coughed up a ton to make a lexan windsheild I probably don't wanna destroy it with the wipers and a little dirty windsheild. Are my options:

1) remove the wipers, save some more weight, rain-x it to death and hope for the best
2) keep the wipers, rain-x, and only use the wipers when it's a must then repolish the window?
3) it's not that bad, just use the wipers
4) I shoulda bought an open top car

Keep it clean and rain x'd. Use wipers when it gets bad.
Costs less to polish or replace lexan than the
Front of the car when you can't see.

Plus what scratches you see sitting in the car disappear
when driving.

Bfloyd

If you used a hard coated Lexan, you will be fine with wipers.

If you used an uncoated Lexan, I would not use wipers unless it's a monsoon.

-Kyle

I've never had wipers on my FP car. Keep a good Rain-X or wax job on the outside, and it's always been fine. I've had 100x worse issues with the inside!

We use a sheet of film over the lexan on the Chumper with wiper. Just like low value tint.

FWIW lexan is about 1/2 the weight of glass. 22# vs 11# typical

Wipers ruined my first Lexan windshield. Replaced it and tossed the wipers. Good coat of carnauba wax on the outside and a 3" brake fan on the inside keeps things plenty clear.

I race a mini (almost vertical windshield)
Rainx works ALL the time on the outside (even low speed pace and yellow flag laps)
Sealing EVERY opening between the engine compartment and cockpit reduced the fogging issue by about 80%. anti fog on the inside does the rest

Joy dishwashing liquid on the inside of the window. Apply it just like car wax. Rub it on and let it make a haze. Once thoroughly dry buff it off. Repeat. Works really well.

"Good coat of carnauba wax on the outside and a 3" brake fan on the inside keeps things plenty clear."

Where does it say you can add the brake fan? I must be missing it.

Rob":1ksr829h said:
Joy dishwashing liquid on the inside of the window. Apply it just like car wax. Rub it on and let it make a haze. Once thoroughly dry buff it off. Repeat. Works really well.
It does, but I've found you have to do it well before you need it. If I try doing it after it's already wet and humid as hell outside, it doesn't work well. If you're pretty sure it's gonna rain during your upcoming race weekend, do it a day or two before you load up.

Agree with the Joy for the inside. We always applied it in a thick gel to a damp rag and applied it from top to bottom in straight lines. Let it dry and it is invisible, but no need to buff it off. It is the soap dissolving into droplets that keeps the fog off.

Novus makes a couple of products, cleaners and polishes, that are very good at cleaning lexan. It can remove the swirl marks that are a result of cleaning a gritty windshield.

I only thought my lexan was clean, until I used the Novus. It also cut down on the glare caused by the swirl marks.

And, I am not a paid spokesperson for Novus...

Steve, just quoted what he said, "brake fan". Other than the stock heater motor, curious about wording that allows addition of fan. Not saying it isn't there. I just didn't see it when I searched. Might be another example of screen wire in radiator/grill opening or blending the plunge cut in SM.

c. Modifications can be made to the Driver/Passenger/Trunk
compartment to permit the installation of required safety equipment
and to improve driver comfort and driver control of the
car. Covers for all equipment located in the driver/passenger
compartment forward of the rear most portion of the door
opening can not extend higher than six inches below the
highest point of the door. The installation of a dry sump tank
and cover that extends above six inches below the highest
point of the door is permitted but the tank and cover must be
located completely within 18” of the front or rear cowl and no
higher than the cowl.

Additionally there is a specific allowance for cool shirt type systems that include blowers for helmets, etc. I will submit there is no intorturation to a defrost blower being used under either allowance.

Cut the outside of the rubber gasket that retains the windshield leaving only the inner lip edge for the windshield to sit in. Nut-sert the required upper and lower clips to retain the winshield so they are easily loosened and rotated out of the way. Run the lexan, carry a glass windshield. If there is a chance of a wet session, put the prepped no fogged and rain-x'd glass shield in, put the wipers on and go. There is nothing better than a properly prepped glass windshield in a wet session.

9.1.5.E.10.b said:
The instrument panel/dashboard and all contents are unrestricted. Gauges/Instruments are unrestricted.

You could also make a case that the defrost system is a part of the dashboard & its contents since the defroster vents are built into the dashboard on most cars..

Steve Eckerich":1z6ewr5b said:
c. Modifications can be made to the Driver/Passenger/Trunk
compartment to permit the installation of required safety equipment
and to improve driver comfort and driver control of the
car. Covers for all equipment located in the driver/passenger
compartment forward of the rear most portion of the door
opening can not extend higher than six inches below the
highest point of the door. The installation of a dry sump tank
and cover that extends above six inches below the highest
point of the door is permitted but the tank and cover must be
located completely within 18” of the front or rear cowl and no
higher than the cowl.

Additionally there is a specific allowance for cool shirt type systems that include blowers for helmets, etc. I will submit there is no intorturation to a defrost blower being used under either allowance.

5. When the pcs refers to a component as being unrestricted, this permits the addition, modification, substitution or removal of that component.

Electrical system:
5. All other components of the electrical system are unrestricted.

An electrical fan for blowing air on the windshield is part of the electrical system and therefore unrestricted.
There is no rule to pertain to the specific component to supersede the general rule. As long as it serves no other purpose.

Back