Labor Day MARRS

Al Seim

Another great Prod field is shaping up for the Labor Day MARRS double at Summit Point this coming weekend, registration tonight shows 4 EP, 6 FP and 7(!) HP cars so far. Any fencesitters should come on out.

Forecast is for no earthquakes or hurricanes.

Have meetings up in the 'burgh this weekend, so have fun, play safe, and i'll see you folks in October.

don't make extra work for the workers, since their ranks are split between Summit Point and Baltimore.

This will have to serve as my Prodfest, since I have commitments that will keep me from the real thing AGAIN this year. ARRGH - oh, what's that, sweetie? Of course we're going to go look at the leaves and stay in a charming lodge...hey, I can't complain. Or shouldn't.

Congrats to Al Seim on his dominant win in HP on Saturday and, even though he has won races before, finally getting to take his first real victory lap! Well deserved & way to go VW!

Also, congrats to Steve Covington for completing his first SCCA race, way to keep it on the black stuff & stay out of trouble. Way to go VW!

Thanks Evan! The victory lap (I'd been telling Evan earlier that for various reasons I'd never had one) was especially sweet as I got to wave at my 10 year old son in the stands. That was great!

But the win was only "dominant" because Randy Canfield didn't run Saturday's race (half of the double). He ran the Sunday/Monday event and won that one. But even that was a highlight for me as I got to run with him in qualifying, we ran right together and qualified within a few hundredths with Randy in front. In the race I once managed an overlap but experience showed in traffic and I was well behind at the finish. Great to finally be able to (at least sort of) run with a master!

And never needed rains.

Another notable thing - we had 8 (!!!) HP cars in the Monday race.

A great weekend of racing.

Oh - and of course thanks to Sheetz for the event sponsorship and free coffee and smoothies. My son and I especially loved the smoothies!

Great show Ken congrads on the win!Al your car was flying had not seen a fast vw in ages!Lotus 7 ran good to and there was some great races going on .#5 miata was running good Randy drove like the master he is !The smoothies were great.Got lots of photos ! Nice to see such a big field of Cars in Prodction classes.Sprman : )

It was too bad Ken had to load up and go home. Hopefully we'll see him again soon. I had a good weekend, 2nd to Al in H on Saturday and 3rd (from the back) to Al and Randy on Monday. Found out how the car acts with a broken half-shaft in Saturday qualifying & race - not very nice! Most all of the H folks had uneventful weekends, my only excitement was getting belted by a Pinto in the door & flare. Damn, those things are wide. Might be a topic for a driver's meeting sometime, get those things to make room in the twisty bits where a spridget has the advantage. See everyone in October -

I'll be back for the Oct. race, damage wasn't too bad...a little fiberglass a few straighter parts and it'll be good as new....Mike runs the green midget S.

Al i sure do !Got you during the race and with the checkerd flag! PM me your email ill email what i got to you.They be Hi Rez 14mp Sprman : )

Al you had that VW flying what you have under the hood? Must of feed those rabbits real good been years since i have seen a rabbit go that fast!The killer bee comes to mind! Sprman : )

Mike
Would you PM the car number of the offending Pinto please.

Great MARRS Labor Day Double presented by Sheetz. Big thanks to Fred McConnell for sponsoring the event.

There was great racing through the field all three days.

Looking forward to October's MARRS finale.

cheers
dave parker

As most probably already know, a Scirocco is basically a coupe-bodied Rabbit (ie Golf Mk1), basically identical except for upper sheet metal.

Engine is an "L2" (ie limited prep) VW 1.6, essentially an IT spec engine w/ new pistons, cam and valve job. Quite a bit of thinking but not terribly expensive to do. Engine started out as a BSI-built ITC engine that I bought from Mark Coffin. A good pro-built IT engine is a great starting point for an L2 Prod build as the pros (I'm told) flowed a lot of junkyard heads looking for the good ones.

As an aside, I do not think that the 1.6VWs are fully competitive at Road America with its long pulls, but I think they are fully competitive on an "average" track.

Al

Back