Kansas Speedway

VWRalf

Saw the announcement for the Kansas Speedway event June 20-21, 2015 but wonder about overnight camping at the track. NASA had an event this year and no overnight camping was allowed.
Copied this from their forum:
On Friday night, everyone must exit KS Speedway by 11pm
On Saturday night, everyone must exit KS Speedway by 9:30pm
On Sunday night, everyone must exit KS Speedway by 7pm

Has this been addressed and will there be overnight camping?

We will be able to stay in the paddock overnight. That was a critical issue for KVRG and they have negotiated the ability to do this.

EPrill":10ykyayv said:
We will be able to stay in the paddock overnight. That was a critical issue for KVRG and they have negotiated the ability to do this.

Great.

Next, if you could do something about the weather. Looks like the average temp is 85-90. Around 70 degrees would be much better.

Thanks,
Jon

Not looking forward to racing in the Mid States Conference in 2015. A race in Kansas in late June, 4th of July at High Plains and Pueblo July 25-26. What's next, Phoenix first weekend of August or maybe a race on the sun?

I guess we got spoiled having both Colorado races in May last year in reasonable temperatures. (I know, complain to the regions)

IF we have a chicane it will NOT be like the one they ran at the NASA event. Should be a great event and often it's quite nice in June weather wise.
I'd agree Jon, I hate High Plains 4th of July.

I've looked at Google Earth and didn't see an obvious road course. And the Kansas Speedway website didn't have a road course map. So what's the course look like? Any maps out there so I can get an idea of what's what?

Dayle

D48E7397FBA241A7BA093A7DA0D7A920.ashx

Video of the road course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCAe6iRfXzQ

I'm waiting to see where and when the last TBA race will be so I can skip the closest race to me at High Plains. Don't get me wrong, love the track, but hate the date.

I really enjoyed camping on the 4th weekend this year and plan on doing it again next year.

Who in the Majors planning committee works for big oil? Someone has to...

To make all the majors in Cen-States, I'm at 7242 towing miles and counting. Not a single race within 6hrs (one way) of Houston...
If I park the trailer between Pueblo and High Plains, I can get down to 5600 miles. 5600 miles/60mph average is 93hrs of towing for 5 race weekends. I'd use up my entire alloted vacation hours and a significant portion of my annual racing budget just driving to and from the races.

Just to make the closest 3 races requires 4200 miles of towing and 62hrs of driving. still a full 3/4 of my annual vacation time.

Just a thought for all the Texas guys, come run the back to back weekends in January at Homestead and Sebring. Then, run the NOLA Majors and you should be qualified for the Daytona Runoffs. If you want, you can also change your region of record to a SEDiv region and be in Southeast Conference. The 4 days in between races can either be a short trip into the Keys, a few days of R & R or go see the mouse. Testing will be on Thursday and maybe Wednesday at Sebring. Lot's of parking to drop off rig after Homestead.

Your total tow from Houston for these races would be about 3100 miles. I had a year where I could not run SEDiv races so changed to SWDiv and ran Florida races and a Double in Feb at TWS. Qualified for the Runoff by the 3rd weekend of Feb!

Matt93SE":1i91mrmf said:
Who in the Majors planning committee works for big oil? Someone has to...

To make all the majors in Cen-States, I'm at 7242 towing miles and counting. Not a single race within 6hrs (one way) of Houston...
If I park the trailer between Pueblo and High Plains, I can get down to 5600 miles. 5600 miles/60mph average is 93hrs of towing for 5 race weekends. I'd use up my entire alloted vacation hours and a significant portion of my annual racing budget just driving to and from the races.

Just to make the closest 3 races requires 4200 miles of towing and 62hrs of driving. still a full 3/4 of my annual vacation time.

Sorry, got ya beat. Western div, live in Seattle area

8592.41 miles

142 hrs 36 mins / 143 hrs 48 mins based on current traffic

dhrmx5,

Seattle to Thunderhill on April 11-12 is 670 miles
Seattle to Buttonwillow on May 1-3 is 1,073 miles
I bet you could leave your stuff @ Thunderhill inbetween these events
Pacific Raceways Memorial Day
Seattle to Portland on July 3-5 is 175 miles

For me in San Antonio, it actually makes more sense to leave my racecar in Columbus, OH with Dad, and add an extra $700/weekend in plane tickets for me to basically "arrive & drive fly-in" to Northern Conference events, instead of trying to race down here. Initial math shows I'll spend less time traveling, use similar vacation from work, and spend less money in plane tickets vs. gas and tow vehicle expenses.

Otherwise to race down here, NOLA and Hallett are the two closest events, and they're both 9.5 hour drives away. It also looks like Hallett is going to interfere with a trip I need to make in April, so that one is likely out regardless. Initial rumors say the last "TBD" event will be COTA in August, which is great in that it's only 1.5 hours from my house and an amazing track, but I'd anticipate 100+ degree heat. So do I haul everything to Texas, just to do a "9.5 hour tow away" NOLA event in March and a COTA "five months later and stupid hot" event in August? Everything else in this Conference is a 12+ hour tow, so "no". Or do I just say f-it, leave my stuff at home in Ohio, and let a pilot chauffer me to events? Yes, that sounds rediculous, but only slightly less rediculous than actually trying to race down here in the Mid-Conference. I also say that WANTING to race down here! New tracks, new competition, sounds great! But not if the time and expense of travel will suck all the fun out of it.

:boohoo: , I know...

Maybe secret answer C? Take up competitive shooting, cause you're in Texas now.

kruck":2o2k7czo said:

Option D: Other clubs beckon...

as much of a whiney-arse threat that is, frankly I don't care about "the club". I want a place to race my car, Majors be damned. since the Majors is killing the local races as well, I'm going to be forced to look for other options.

Matt93SE":1v87nyx6 said:
kruck":1v87nyx6 said:

Option D: ......since the Majors is killing the local races as well......

Really? Our major at Grattan had 105 ish cars and the very next weekend OVR had 160 at MidO. Regionals over here are doing OK...not great....but OK.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":2qwr76kc said:
Really? Dayle

Yes, really. Three cancelled event in MiDiv alone. Not to mention the low entry numbers for the events that were held.
Rocky Mountain Division I believe had two cancellation.

racer_tim":1udzfgup said:
dhrmx5,

Seattle to Thunderhill on April 11-12 is 670 miles
Seattle to Buttonwillow on May 1-3 is 1,073 miles
I bet you could leave your stuff @ Thunderhill inbetween these events
Pacific Raceways Memorial Day
Seattle to Portland on July 3-5 is 175 miles

Tim, where I have a problem is all the BS talk about how Majors are going to "cluster" competition but nothing could be further from the truth. Everyone justifies the schedule by saying just run those events, but most of the cars are down in CA, so if I want the competition I have no choice but to travel. The schedule you are advocating is no different than NorPac of previous years. Where have I gained with the Majors?

Did it last year, not doing it this year. I expect way fewer entries this year so Runoffs qualifying should be easy. I don't mind travel, I just want to go to tracks I want to race. Fontana, Chowchilla, and BW aren't on that list.

Just received my MiDiv reserved number request forms and the Mid-Am schedule was also included.
An interesting note next to the Kansas Speedway Majors date was that all IT classes are included. :applause:
Either Kansas Speedway is expensive to rent or they realize that Majors don't attract enough drivers in the Mid States Conference.

Back