Jason and AJ got screwed

Post it here. Some of don't have face book

I watched the race and it was close racing.
So hulse moves up to go around Isley, linn who's for 5+ mph on both moves around the two. Hulse moves up further than Linn expected?

All started by Linn going to third after the contact in 2.

We can all bench race but looking at 1 piece of video isn't what the stewards did. They looked at all the stuff and reports

Probably a lot of sides to the stories on contact.
No penalty for Jason cutting the chicane on the last lap?
I'm pretty shocked that AJ didn't get the win seeing the broadcast and his in car.

Please correct me if I read the rules poorly ; SCCA describes blocking as making more than one move to inpede the following driver; None of these cars made more than one small move .
IMHO, Jason made a small but considerate move to force AJ a little further around. Valid,sporting and legal.
AJ made a small move around Jason ,leaving room along the wall for the faster Honda.
The Honda made contact, turning the VW into the wall.

SCCA rules state MOL, that the car making the pass has to pass without contact.

In the past, if contact was made between cars , somebody is at fault, usually the car making the pass. If the contact results in a wreck , somebody is at fault .
if the contact results in a position change, the offending driver gets docked a few positions post race .

Back to the finish. Contact was made , it is somebody's fault , Either AJ or Linn. Somebody should lose the finish position. According to the rules that we play by, the passing car has to pass without contact.
One of two things happened, Linn turned AJ into the wall or AJ failed to see Linn and took himself out .
I have not seen Linn's video yet. Is it posted someplace ? Has anyone seen it?

This should be , at most a 10 minute review, not 24hrs of sitting it impound .

RE bustop;Usually the bus top has no penalty if you make it inside of the first two sets of curbing. Jason had a self imposed penalty of travelling further and through the grass .

Does anyone here know, or can they find out, if a conscious decision was made, perhaps by the Chief Steward, to allow race results to stand in all cases possible? The SOM and Appeals Court certainly seemed to lean strongly this way, in the few cases that I was aware of.

The whole HP saga was one. In addition to the race activity, Tech personnel discovered in impound after qualifying, that the lead Honda had a rear under-tray connecting the full width of the rear bumper forward to the floor-pan. The lead Tech for Production took this to the Chief of Tech and was told to take no action despite Body Configuration being on the list of things assigned to be inspected at that impound. (The under-tray disappeared after the crew noticed it drawing attention.)

In Spec Miata, Tech ruled the first place car illegal after tear-down, but it was overturned by the Stewards and Goring was allowed to keep his win despite Techs findings. (That was the most complete post-race inspection I have witnessed, with Miatas stripped from deferential to engine, in the floor and opened up.)

billp":224ux6cb said:
In Spec Miata, Tech ruled the first place car illegal after tear-down, but it was overturned by the Stewards and Goring was allowed to keep his win despite Techs findings. (That was the most complete post-race inspection I have witnessed, with Miatas stripped from deferential to engine, in the floor and opened up.)

It was not a matter of overturning a Tech finding.

If you will read the CoA report in the latest Fastrack you will find that John Bauer of SCCA Tech found a mathematical error in the compression calculation and asked for the DQ to be reversed. As the DQ had already been issued an appeal was the only way to do it.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it looked like a racing incident to me from where I watched the finish from the front inside grandstand.

Things I noticed from the in-car, Isley was an innocent bystander, getting collected in the crash, if you look at the side view mirror on the in-car, you can see Isley is clearly behind and with space. Cant see contact initiated in the mirrors. I do notice a moment prior to contact where the driver turns the wheel to the right, could this be a function of air disruption from the Honda??.

Also, I noticed what looks like alot of play in the steering wheel of the VW. It looks to me that there is a worn out component, possibly the rack or tie rods? Looks like there is dead play from 11 to 1 where the wheel is turned but the car does not respond to the input. Maybe they are that loose from the factory?
I don't know the cars at all. I don't think it has anything to do with the crash, but maybe it does.

To me no one is at fault here, good hard racing and guys going for a National Championship. Sometimes racing incidents are just that, racing incidents.

I believe that Brian said that Steve took the video and then left for a business trip, and it wasn't available.

Geez....I realize that Halloween is this weekend, but some of you spend WAY too much time digging up skeletons that have been long since buried. What is it that you find curious, David? Last time I checked, viewing of someone's in-car video for review was optional, not mandatory. And what exactly do you see in Brian's footage that would possibly change the stewards' minds? All it does is reconfirm what all the other evidence shows. The VW moved up to block, end of story. And to say that an overtaking car that has an incredible run with help of a two car draft, should allow himself to be squeezed up against the wall just because "he had room up top" is absurd. It's over....move on.

Craig

Like Craig said-move on. Racing.....we all want to win..sometimes it ends like this. Just glad the only injuries were perhaps feelings.

Craig, I didn't mean to stir the witches pot. I posted the link to Brian Linn's video because Mike Ogren asked if anyone had seen it and knew where it was. I knew. As for my comment about being curious about the SOM and COA seeing it. I'm curious, not disturbed.
David

Bob Hess":x0ga8rsn said:
.... as I said...
"people are going to see what they want to see" - that is why I didn't publicly post this video. Bob- if you get a chance, talk to AJ.

As far as not sharing my video with the SOM, I was advised not to. When you make an appeal, generally you have to provide new information for them to consider it. So I felt the webcast had enough info that showed no wrongdoing on my part. But in case I needed to appeal, I could provide my video. Curious.

Having lived through an incident last year where there was some contact, I can tell you that there will almost always be two sides to a racing incident. I know that in my case I will never believe one side of the argument, but I am quite sure that others will never believe the other side either. The thing to remember is that it is over. There is nothing that can be done to change the outcome, and the best thing to do, as someone already stated is to move on. AJ and Jason will have to wait until another year to get their Championship.

Not necessarily saying that you have to pay your dues, but Brian certainly has done what was required to win a championship, but it somehow hasn't happened until now. Jason and AJ have shown that they have the ability and a program in place that is capable of winning a national title, so they should feel pretty good about that. I know as well as anyone that anything less than the win really sucks if you have a chance to win, but having a chance to win is something that a lot of people never get to experience.

Back