IT or endurance rain tires

Jay Lutz

For anyone running endurance races requiring tread wear over 180.........what seems to be the trick rain tire these days?????????????

Thanks, Jay

At our last LeMons race, I was running on a set of Rivals when it started raining. I was quite impressed with the grip they had at MSRH, which is usually slick as ice in the wet. Our LeMons Miata is also set up MUUUCH softer than my STU car (and it's a Miata), so it was much easier to drive at/over the limit in the wet with that car. I don't remember lap times in the wet, but I was passing whoever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I'd run them again in a heartbeat.

Something else to consider-- BFG's DOT-R rain tire is a super-soft KDW tire... http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/road-ra ... rce-kdw-r/
Not sure if it's a cost-cutting thing or if the tread pattern is really that great, but the "regular" version has a treadwear of 300 and thus would be legal. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... re-details
However, that compound may be too hard to really get the performance in the wet so take this tire with a grain of salt.

Same tires you run in the dry. We used the Dunlop Direzza ZII (200), on our Toyota MR2, but Tire Rack has the Advan Neova AD08 R (180) and the Humho Ecsta XS (180)

These are in 205-50-15 size. Not sure what size you're looking for Jay, but all of them will work in the wet

I like the Dunlop stars in the wet , with lower pressure. My dry targets are around 36 front and I let these down to around 30 front and 26 rear in true wet conditions.

Adjust pressures back up as grip comes up.

PS I received an email tues, foreword from Michael. He needs a job as a new ME. I hope that he gets back to you as he should. Thanks, MM

So are you guys saying the BFG and Dunlop are available full tread depth.....not 3 or 4 mm.

Or run them with the shallow grooves? Doesn't seem like these would give the water any place to escape!

Thanks, Jay

The tire to run in the rain in IT is the Hoosier DOT Radial Wet (H2O), but I don't know the treadwear rating.

Jay Lutz":2be5h02k said:
So are you guys saying the BFG and Dunlop are available full tread depth.....not 3 or 4 mm.

Or run them with the shallow grooves? Doesn't seem like these would give the water any place to escape!

Thanks, Jay
Since they're true ****** *****, then yeah- full tread depth. We don't bother shaving them for the crapcan races (it's not worth the 1/2 sec/lap when you spend so much time in traffic). Just buy 'em full tread and go.

With regard to David's comment suggesting the Hoosier wet tires: is there a mold release issue with them? What is the proper scrub in procedure with them?
Thanks
EZ

Back