Infineon (Sonoma, Sears Point) Double Rational - July 6-8

Brian Linn

With the advent of the Rational, National racing is back at Infinion July 6-8! I was excited to go back to Sears Point, probably my favorite track.
They currently have 222 entries for the Double Rational.

Entries so far (6/27)
EP Richard Apodaca - '83 Rx7
EP Bruce Ackerman - Volvo
EP Paul Goldman Porsche 914

FP - 0 (but Noel Hayward is expected to enter and Maybe Chuck Horton for Sat)

HP Mike Cummings - Sprite
HP Neil Verity - MGB
HP Thomas Lepper - Honda Fit

GTL John Bowyer

Then I looked at the schedule and they had FP/HP with IT and STO-L. EP and GTL were with GT1-3, SP, ITE, T1 and American V8 supercars. Initially the IT group had 50 cars while the GT/V8 group had 28. I asked to have FP moved so that I could be with EP/GTL, and not the gaggle of ITA Miata's. So I sent of an email to the Chief Steward and his reply was "I am not inclined to change the schedule at this time". OK, how about a little feedback like "maybe I'll take a look next week", "can't change the schedule at this point" or anything. So I asked for some more info and he replied "Currently there are no FP cars registered so there is no reason to make any changes to the schedule". Maybe there would be some FP cars, specifically one in my garage, that would enter if the schedule was different - ugh.

So I stewed for another day or two...and replied, again giving reasons like wanting to race with cars on slicks, more balanced groups and FP & GTL being very close in lap times. He replied "Changing groups is a problem after the original schedule is published because the people who are entering that race are expecting the schedule as published to be what will happen when they arrive at the track. The schedule and groupings are established for a number of reasons. Tire type, speed differential, number of cars in a group. To change the grouping at the request of one person is not usually done without a very compelling reason. At the present time I do not see a compelling reason to change the grouping." Wait, those reasons he gave for the race groupings are the reasons I gave for moving me - we are in agreement! - except the "compelling" part. Also, the group that I want in goes on track later than the other group, except for Sundays race, so if you showed up at the track as an FP entrant, you wouldn't miss any sessions. So I gave up - and figure my $535 entry fee and $300 gas was better spent on beer over the 4th of July week, maybe I need some good tequila too - much more compelling.

So my question to you that are involved in race planning, how hard is it to move a class from one group to another? In the steward's defense, the groups are now closer to each other in # of entries (38 vs. 48).
What are entry fees for "doubles" across the country? At Buttonwillow it was $370, Infineon $535 - they have a lot more entries to help pay Bruton Smith's fees.

I need to move to a part of the country with better FP participation and favorable race groupings...now if I can just convince my wife how this will benefit 'us'.

I also did not like the idea of running with all the DOT cars, but I could not justify the trip anyway - I did not want to fight holiday traffic. Can't wait to see the results from the HP Fit. 8)

Brian,

I have run many races in this IT etc. group. Trick is qualifying. Be at the pre-grid as the first one, go out first, do a warm-up lap and then bang in a qualifying lap. If you can get a 1.52-53 you will be on the first row if not pole. If on pole, after the pace car pulls off speed up considerably without being illegal. You might storm upto turn 2 in first or second. If second, turn 7 or eleven the next lap. Only worry then is lapping these Japanese buzz boxes.

As an aside, I don't think Noel or Chuck will attend.

Ron

BLinn":1sdb85td said:
So I gave up - and figure my $535 entry fee and $300 gas was better spent on beer over the 4th of July week, maybe I need some good tequila too - much more compelling.

Brian, budget some of those unused funds for some indoor karting, and I might be tempted to make a drive to the west side. I haven't seen Sasha or the boys in quite awhile.

Craig

The GCR gives the process on changes. The problem is most steward haven't raced or not in 20 years. The mean age of that community was 65+ two years ago. They don't know the real world characteristics of modern tires.

To help your reading speed. CS makes RFA gives to SOM they vote yea or nea (usually rubber stamp) and everyone is notified. The last part is the work no one wants to do.

James

up to 253 total entries, 45 in the GT/big bore and 51 for the IT/SS/Fp/Hp. Only change to the Prod entries was the addition of Aaron Downey in EP.

A wise man (B Blust) told me that if I wasn't worried about points, I could enter as a EP Miata and run the other group. I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, my deposit at Beer-Mart is non-refundable.

Hi Brian!

From the race planning standpoint, it's not that big a deal...correction: I should say "it shouldn't be that big a deal" to change class groupings up to the day of the race. It almost always says somewhere in the supps that officials or the CS or someone of some authority reserves the right to alter the schedule.

All you need to do is publicize it. Most regions now have the capability to do an e-mail blast to all registered for the event to update on important info. For example, this past weekend at NJMP the registrars sent out a blast in advance telling of an additonal gate opening to ease traffic congestion with an event on the other track. Simple. But even if that's not possible for the region in question, you put up big giant signs all over the place - e.g. in and out of registration, by the restrooms, etc. informing the drivers of the schedule change. I've even been handed a sheet at registration informing of last minute changes. Happens all the time. Shouldn't have been a problem. But enjoy your beer weekend anyway!

Just a very minor point of clarification, changes to the schedule are done by the CSOM (Chief Steward Of The Meet), not the CS (Chief Steward). I know this is of little importance to this point, but I wanted to set that right.

FWIW and to back up what has already said, changes to run groupings is not that big of a deal. And as a GTL guy, I fully agree that FP and GTL should be run together. I also feel strongly that DOT tire cars and race tire cars should not be run together, and I have hours of video to back that up.

-Kyle

The Super Tour at High Plains was $420 for the Double National.

Big props to Colorado Region for changing the run groups for this year. They moved the SSB and SSC cars to the SM group and out of small bore. It was really nice this weekend with just EP, FP, GTL and HP in the group.

292 entries x $535 = $156,220 - that should cover the track fee for three days, right?

EP entries are up to 6, still 3 HP, 0 FP and 1 GTL. 53 in big bore/EP/GTL, 58 in IT/SS/FP/HP, 72 in SM/SMtire and 'only' 34 SRF .

Thanks to James, Carolyn and Kyle for the response about changing groups - kind what I thought. It just happened out here when one driver wanted to double dip his T1 in GT1.
Maybe next year... now where is that bottle opener?
happy 4th to all!

BLinn":l9wlomy7 said:
292 entries x $535 = $156,220 - that should cover the track fee for three days, right?

EP entries are up to 6, still 3 HP, 0 FP and 1 GTL. 53 in big bore/EP/GTL, 58 in IT/SS/FP/HP, 72 in SM/SMtire and 'only' 34 SRF .

Thanks to James, Carolyn and Kyle for the response about changing groups - kind what I thought. It just happened out here when one driver wanted to double dip his T1 in GT1.
happy 4th to all!
Come to topeka. Get your tune on and then we'll get our race on!

BLinn":2lc4jah6 said:

happy 4th to all!

Brian, If that's Kyle Kelley, he doesn't double dip he has a T1 car and a GT1 car. He had both out at Cal Speedway. I think he needs the finish in T1 as he had some bad luck at that last race and didn't even get half way.

SF region put on a great show. 300+ cars and not a glitch....also had some fans walking throught the paddock... Weather was great with Miatas as far as the eye could see with 70+ in the miata festival race. I would encourage all west coast drivers to try to make it out to the "Sonoma Sprints" rational next year. HP ran with ITA and a few other regional IT classes...50+ cars on track but no issues except for a few miata on miata bumps... Leppler was getting quicker in the HP Honda fit throughout the weekend and poor Mike (cummings) had nagging issues that kept popping up in the races, loose wire cut out his ignition in the first race...and then a broken throttle cable did him in during the 2nd race. My MGB ran fine, with just a front brake caliper rebuild and rear axle oil seals and bearings replaced through the weekend. Just need the So. Cal prod. clan to come up and have a few more cars come down from the Pacific North west and we could have a great race...

Neil
#83 HP MGB

BLinn":2ilmtnfy said:
So my question to you that are involved in race planning, how hard is it to move a class from one group to another? In the steward's defense, the groups are now closer to each other in # of entries (38 vs. 48). What are entry fees for "doubles" across the country? At Buttonwillow it was $370, Infineon $535 - they have a lot more entries to help pay Bruton Smith's fees.

I can speak with authority from SFR that generally we are pretty reasonable about such changes. This was our first Rational and, as far as we're aware, one of the biggest Rationals held to date with 298 entries pre-registered. Our crews were very cautious to prepare and plan for the event and many of our normal procedures were put on hold to make sure we could get through this event cleanly.

We were concerned about filling up run groups in this event (which did happen in SM and nearly happened with our IT cars) which makes shifting classes/cars around very difficult (especially given the double and triple entries from other cars like Miatas). I have been to other region events where you have 100 cars and moving people around willy-nilly is no big deal. When you have 3x the number of customers, you have 3x the opportunity to upset someone with the change you're making. Maybe after they just towed 1,000 miles. And now they're pissed off. From a good customer experience point of view, we wanted the inaugural Sonoma Sprints, our first Double Rational and the first time National racing has been at Infineon in 5 years, to go off as smoothly as possible.

The Sonoma Sprints is my personal baby and I pushed for the Rational format so we could be as inclusive as possible but, as you all know, we're a volunteer organization and we balance the needs of many people: the drivers who want to race (myself included), the officials and staff who donate their after-hours time to putting the race on and the club's need for a financially successful event.

We received great feedback about our event and hope to continue building on it for years to come. Each one will get easier and we'll be able to continue being flexible.

Brian
(SFR Board Member)

Back