Indy. Any way to vote on track configuration?

Protech Racing

Our club, our track? I would really like the Moto Gp track that turns the correct direction and involves more turns overall .

The track l looks as flat and featureless as Heartland Park. Not what I would call a world class venue for road racing. No elevation changes, etc. How come no fuss. Charlotte Motor Speedways infield has more elevation changes than Indy.

Russ

Having worked as a flagger at both the Indy road course (F1 - 2000) and Heartland Park, I can say there is considerably more elevation change at HPT than there is at Indy.

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

Russ Myers":30zfwzn1 said:
The track l looks as flat and featureless as Heartland Park. Not what I would call a world class venue for road racing. No elevation changes, etc. How come no fuss. Charlotte Motor Speedways infield has more elevation changes than Indy.

Russ

Russ,
It's an oval.....of course it's flat. They're supposed to be. Don't judge a track by elevation change. A neat track layout doesn't demand varying altitude. Does it help? Sure. But more often than not, a trying road course has interesting corners that decrease or increase in radius. Making the speeds different in a variety of corners is more important than going up and down hills.

If you don't wanna race there.......then don't. It'll leave more room for the rest of us.

Dayle

There are elevation changes at Indy and Daytona!

Indy is banked at 9' and Daytona at 31'. Just try standing on the full banking at Daytona.

It can be a bit of a climb exiting the infield at Daytona if you are in a F/V.
And exiting NASCAR T4 in a F/V is considered a downhill run to the infield.

Growing up in the south, I was startled the first time I saw Indy, at how little banking there is. I had a lot more respect for the Indy car speeds after that.

Protech Racing":3gyb2m7n said:
My question is still, can we vote or have input on the configuration.?

Have you talked with Deanna or anyone at HQ? Asking us isn't going to get you anywhere.

Dayle

Protech Racing":apa9zz22 said:
Who? is Deanna ? I thought all of the heavies were here. :)

Deanna Flanagan is the director of club racing and is the head honcho for the majors program. She was Terry's right hand woman. Reach out to her (her contact info is on the SCCA website) and ask her about the track config at Indy. I've known her for years (we had lunch in Topeka on Monday) and she's very easy to talk to.

The track config may or may not be up to us.....indy may have dictated that policy. I don't know anything about the situation, I'm just speculating. But it can't hurt to ask Deanna about it.

Dayle

Back