Hybrid 1/2 Prep

Rick Starkweather

Can someone help me better understand what "hybrid 1/2 prep" means as in the January 2023 fastback re: the MGB/MGB-GT line in HP? I understand Neil Verity requested and was granted a weight reduction for Level 2 (limited prep) in HP, but I cannot find any more information about the "hybrid 1/2" configuration.

The 1/2 means a full prep suspension with a limited prep engine. The MGB could have been an EP car with a coil overs but the owner switched out the full prep engine with a Limited Prep engine.

The MGB HP hybrid (1/2 prep) intention was to have a place for old full prep (EP/FP) cars (no longer competitive) to have a place to run with a swap out of their full prep motors to "limited prep" motors as in my HP "limited prep" (prep 2) MGB with the addition of extra weight..(~ 150 LBS). Similar concept to what is available for hybrid (1/2 prep) midgets and spitfires in HP....

Neil Verity
# 83 HP (prep 2) MGB
# 39 HP (prep 1/2) MGB

Darryl, Neil:

Thanks! My FP MGB is full-prep suspension wise, so more difficult to get back to level 2, but the motor is really closer to limited prep (less than 12:1 CR, the smaller intake valves, etc.). With a piston and cam swap with some parts I have on the shelf, I could build a legal HP motor. But the weight penalty seems huge. Not sure where I would add 125 lbs. to my car (I am 100 lbs. over the FP minimum – have a really stout roll cage!).

Option 2 is a more competitive FP motor. We'll see. Hope to see both of you on the track!

Rick

Add a couple roll cage members using 1.5" tubing with 3/4" wall thickness down near the bottom of the car's structure? that stuff is heaaavy.

Back