HP at MARRS

Al Seim

OK, I'll take my own advice and say something positive - that also happens to be true!

The HP class at the Summit Point / WDCR MARRS regional series has gotten stronger in the last few years, and represents a great fun racing opportunity. The MARRS 5 race this coming weekend (likely the lowest attendance race of the season) has 5 HP cars registered, 4 of which have recently run below 1:30, so it's a goodish quality field of cars even on a light weekend.

Of these cars, 3 are 1275 LP (or L1/L2) Spridgets and 2 are 1588 LP Sciroccos - all are cars that can run fastish and pretty equally on a fairly reasonable budget with reasonable LP engine prep and life. (I hope I have not jinxed my new rebuild by typing this!).

To top it off, one of these racers (Randy Canfield) is a multiple time National champion who can show us some tricks if we can keep up to observe them. And we rarely if ever protest each other or have fistfights.

Grassroots racing does not get much better - reasonable ($260) entry fee, friendly and fast competitors, LP engines! Anyone who can beg, borrow, steal, buy or build an HP (or EP or GTL or FP, but HP has the biggest, most even field) car should come try the water! Maybe too late for this weekend but the Labor Day Double will be even better.....

Al Seim
HP 1.6 Scirocco

Well said Al. The strength of the entire MARRS experience - track, volunteers, competitiors - is what help convince me to move away from vintage and buy a FP Miata.

I plan to be there for my fourth Labor Day double in a row, but this time in an actual prod car :)

Depending on licensing and timing, I will not be at the Double, but will be returning another HP car to the field for the last MARRS of the year.

ps: anyone have an open crew spot for this weekend?

Regional production (especially in the MARRS series) is a great place to play. Low key, low pressure, high fun factor racing.

Why listen to a bunch of whining about the Rub-Offs when you can come have fun with us.

cheers
dave parker

Dave - did yiou get my email? I was asking about any chassis dyno services in Gasoline Alley at Summit Point....

HP may be down one number this weekend. Haven't talked with him since Sunday, but Mike MacQueen broke at Nelson last weekend. Actually never turned a wheel on track despite great effort and apparently much frustration. So unless he's done a ton of thrashing this week, I'm not sure we'll see him.

Al
The email addy that is on the DC Region site is my home email. I cannot look at it from work.
If you are looking for dyno services in Gasoline Alley call Bret DePedro, 304.728.6749. His shop is RP Performance.
I am sure that he can help you.
cheers
dave parker

CBB":of1n585j said:
HP may be down one number this weekend. Haven't talked with him since Sunday, but Mike MacQueen broke at Nelson last weekend. Actually never turned a wheel on track despite great effort and apparently much frustration. So unless he's done a ton of thrashing this week, I'm not sure we'll see him.

Must be racing something British or a Baby Grand.
:D

Sad to hear, "Lightening" (as I call him) is a great guy and is pretty quick for a second year racer.

cheers
dave parker

You're right Dave, Mike's got a good british car attitude...just bends over and fixes it. HP has been the class this year, lots of cars and close racing and with the limited prep you're seeing a lot of the old british iron actually still running at the end of the week-end....should be a good week-end up there.

PS: I wouldn't count him out yet, he always seems to get done what he needs to.

Al Seim":2s58rq35 said:
Up to 6 cars now!

Greg - what variety of HP car?

Al

Al,
Another Spridget that is no stranger to the SP paddock. I'll say which one once the actual transaction is done tomorrow.

Randy,
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Mike said he swapped motors and will be at the MARRS race this weekend. Have fun everyone.

I'm looking forward to Labor Day and then next year plan to run in at least six events.

Hey Dave, unfortunately won't be making it this week-end, again, too much work travel. I'm on the road for the next couple of weeks, I possibly COULD make it but would have to throw any dreams of domestic tranquility out the window for the next couple of months....

ps: told you not to count Michael out yet...

MARRS Labor Day is the best racing i have seen well worth the trip to run in it.Been watching it for years !Best battles i have seen in production racing! Sprman 8)

We actually had 7 HP cars in the MARRS race this past weekend, and I talked to two more people who have bought and are prepping H cars for MARRS, so it keeps improving!

Congrats to Randy Canfield for a well-deserved win, qualifying near the lap record. I'm pleased to have gotten a second as well as a much improved personal best lap time. Third place was Frank Jones. And congrats to all the other HP cars - we all finished.

A great mix of cars - 3 Spridgets, 3 VWs, and a Dodge Colt.

FP winner was Charles Broring and EP was won by Scott Lowery - congrats to them too.

Al Seim
HP VW Scirocco 1.6
Race Technology USA

I spent an enjoyable but very hot 4th of July swapping motors, put in the old mule. Got past the mess in Turn 5 nicely (I must say Randy set a very nice pace for the start, it was perfect for me) and thought I had Frank. Then I got kind of stuck with a Pinto which cost me time and Frank, the crafty old ^&*%$##, caught me about two laps from the end. He just pulls me in a straight line. Also had a minor prep failure which revealed itself when one end of the Panhard rod detached from the car, which made hard cornering very dicey. New motor will go back in this weekend (turns out I destroyed the rear pan seal when i bottomed out in the paddock at Nelson) and hopefully on to the dyno the following weekend. Changes made Saturday afternoon gave me 2+ seconds improvement over qualifying. And I must say that the race Saturday with Carolyn was the most fun I've had since I started racing again: pass, get passed, pass again etc. The HP crowd is a fun bunch.

Well, the oil leak which appeared at NL was not a blown-out oil pan seal. When I bottomed in the paddock the impact cracked the oil pump cover. Brazed it up, and did my third engine R&R in six weeks (two in July) yesterday, 17th July. Next it's off to the dyno.

I haven't even got my HP GTI home yet and the guys are trying to recruit me to come down from Cleveland to run. This year is a big crap shoot even getting the car out because just getting the car and getting it home has been a battle in itself. I'll be lucky to get out this year at all!

But this may be something I'll look into for next season. I've never run down there. Just mostly Nelson and Mid Ohio. Keeping things cost effective and having a nice group to run with could be a lot of fun!!!

Back