How do you see the new BoD plan of 24 national classes....

mengelke":19jdkoby said:
It's all about the scdedule for the Run-Offs. 24 classes is easier to manage over the 3 days of racing.

I am sure that he is not being sarcastic. But I will not speak for him.

However, that seems to be the consensus when I read the BoD and CRB meeting notes.

cheers
dave parker

That is an EXCELLENT reason to kill classes and run folks off now isn't it.

I know from experience that it is sometimes difficult to schedule normal race weekends and am sure that it is way worse for the runoffs but if that is the driving force then we need to step back.

If the Runoffs should move from a big track like RA to something smaller, like Mid-Ohio, combining classes on track may become a problem.

They are discussing Runoff formats and locations at the convention this year. If you have concerns or ideas, contact your BOD member.

I will write a letter but I know I for one would choose combining classes at the runoffs before eliminating a class.

It makes NO since to me to eliminate a class for everyone at the Regional and National level just to make it easier to schedule and run the Runoffs. I am sorry but take the top 24 (if that is the magic number) and be done with it and quit dancing around favorites, if the class does not make the cut then it does not make the cut.

I am sure that there are very few that would like this option but if Runoffs race count is really the big issue how about a revised approach.

If a class is in the top 15 in participation the previous year, it is guaranteed a Runoffs race.

Classes between 15 and 30 only get to race at the Runoffs alternating years. That would total 22 Runoffs races. That gives a little "wiggle room" for two classes to overperform in their off year to be re-invited to the Runoffs.

Reinstate the 2.5 rule. Every year the rule increases by a decimal point (2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and so on) to a maximum number of 3, calculated the way that it is now.

A class can only be on participation probation one year and then it is relegated to Regional Only.

When a class loses its National status it remains intact for one season as a Regional class and if at the Regional level it achieves a participation level .2 higher than the current participation it can be re-instated to National. If it fails to re-establish itself as a National Class it loses its ability to reinstate and gets rolled in to a catch-all class. (Thinking in terms of GTL and GT3 that would be SPU, a GT2 car would become an SPO)

By the request of members that have thought out a workable plan (meaning sort of by petition, not one member with his own "great" idea) class consolidation could be persued as opposed to relegating a class to Regional status.

This would give the "survival of the fittest" thing that all of the Open Wheel crowd thinks is so important in a more "fair" scenario.

The most important thing is to establish a plan and stick to it. Even if my feathers get ruffled or I decide to quit racing SCCA a plan that is executed as represented has much more value than a plan that no one believes because it is never carried through.

The GCR has provisions for removing a class from National status and making it a Regional only class, but not for eliminating the class completely. ASR is still a regional only class (These were the original CanAm cars for those younger folks who don't know), as are many of the older classes (except of course GP). If a class does not make numbers and is reduced to a regional class, it should remain on the books as a regional class.

That's what was so infuriating. The GP drivers of the time were never given the opportunity to continue racing as a Regional only class. The class was completely eliminated. Consolidate or quit.

As a Regional only class they would have had a chance to earn National status again. The BOD made sure that could never happen.

If your car wasn't made by a current manufacturer, or isn't eligible for a current manufacturer's contingency support, you ought be concerned!

RJS

R. J. Sorensen":3qegmn1f said:
That's what was so infuriating. The GP drivers of the time were never given the opportunity to continue racing as a Regional only class. The class was completely eliminated. Consolidate or quit.

As a Regional only class they would have had a chance to earn National status again. The BOD made sure that could never happen.

If your car wasn't made by a current manufacturer, or isn't eligible for a current manufacturer's contingency support, you ought be concerned!

RJS

RJ

There is 1 of the MANY keys that so many don't think about or realize, as well as the weight that is thrown around.

harvey":3k7hvlr2 said:
That is an EXCELLENT reason to kill classes and run folks off now isn't it.

I know from experience that it is sometimes difficult to schedule normal race weekends and am sure that it is way worse for the runoffs but if that is the driving force then we need to step back.

In the current issue of Sports Car there are two editorials about lack of retention and loss of membership. I don't believe that our CRB and BOD makes a relationship between their wide sweeping rules changes, that eliminates classes or moves cars to regional level, where the drivers don't have any interest in participating. The marque clubs like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and NASA are eating our lunch. I shouldn't put NASA in there as they offer a place for us to go and I have no doubts at all that in a year or two we will be racing their program.

Back