Honda Wheels

Darryl Saylor

First: yes Karl K. I bought a Honda CRX :)

Time to start asking questions and show my ignorance on wheels and tires.

I'm not sure what to do about wheels and tires. I'm use to 20x8x13 tires and 13x6 wheels for my old Spridget. I'm trying to budget for next year and set up a plan. I'm trying to figure out what to look for and how much do I need to save over the winter if my other Spridget doesn't sale.

The current plan is to buy 185/60R13 new next year.
I got 3 sets of 13x5.5 that came with the car. I can run the 185/60R13 tires. They have the 38 offset.

I cannot find any 13x6 wheels for the CRX reasonably priced. If I remember correctly I saw one set for $1k.

ITC I can run 15 but H I have to run 13. Oops sorry

An old dog is trying to learn new tricks.

Are you running FP or HP? I think the HP CRX/Civic's are limited to 13" x 6" wheels, but in FP most are allowed 15" x 7". The only one in FP limited to 13" x 7" is the 84-88 CRX. Based on your avatar, this may apply to your car. I'm sure a letter to your customer-centric Ad Hoc committee can get that FP CRX aligned with the rest of it's brethren. If in HP, you may be stuck with the 13" x 6".

Darryl Saylor":1gnzke9m said:
I cannot find any 13x6 wheels for the CRX reasonably priced. If I remember correctly I saw one set for $1k.

What do you consider reasonably priced? I have some I'd like to sell.

I bet I can get you some Team Dynamics that would be a proper race wheel for significantly less than the $1K. What offset do you need? I have to call them Monday on another set of 13s, give me your specs and I will see what they can do.

Brett,
13x6 with 38 offset I think that's what I need.

Jay,
I thought you sold your wheels. You can email me at saysprite at aol dot com

It will probably be around Christmas before I can do anything. I'm trying to set up my budge right now.

Well that is disappointing, Team Dynamics doesn't do a 13x6, they only do a 13x7. Might be time to start sending letters to the CRB to allow 13x7s across the board in HP. Its odd that some cars are running the 13x6, some 13x6.5, some the 13x7 and others the 15x7. Pick one or two. Box rule?

I am checking with England to see if they can do a 13x6, but kinda unlikely.

WE al run the same tires, MOL why not wheels.
FWIW the little tires work well on the 5.5 or 6.
Or You could use the 8in and the AR tires.

Darryl,

If you don't end up getting Jay's wheels, do a Google search for vwvortex 4X100 and go to the link. There are usually some 13X6 listed on there. Offsets may not be exactly 38 but many should be close. Can't hurt to take a look.

Okay, the mechanical engineer has to ask: How do you plan to run old Spridget wheels on a Honda? The Spridget bolt pattern is 4 on 4.000 inches, but the Honda "4 on 100 mm" is actually 3.937 inches. So the centerline spacing is off by about 0.063 inch (~1/16 across the diameter). To correctly fit a 4 X 4 wheel to a 4 X 100 mm hub would require either some clever offset bushings or clever and accurate machining of each wheel. Most machine shops would have difficulty doing this correctly (how to they find and register the actual centerline?) Since the 4 X 100 mm is actually smaller than 4 X 4 inch, additional machining or larger lug nuts might be required to get the right contact area. DON"T TRY TO FORCE 4X 4 inch wheels ONTO 4 X 100 mm HUBS !! In this case, close is not enough.... Joel

Pretty sure he is looking for Honda wheels, not using Spridget wheels.

The oval trackers use the 4x4 for 100 some time but it tends to bend the studs . They still get it to work ,Not for me on the road course cars tho.

I just took a hammer and beat the studs till they fit.

Just kidding.

I'm keeping my old Spridget that I got in 1987 but I'm selling the one that I bought in 2010. I just bought an ITC CRX that hasn't been raced since 2002. After running a bit, and figuring things out, I'll start moving it completely to HP. The old dog is going to try to learn new tricks. I got 3 sets of 13x5.5 with the Honda. I can run 13x6 but finding them is a problem. I'm not exactly which offset to get. I think 33 or 38 is what I need.

Darryl Saylor":1og3bxb6 said:
First: yes Karl K. I bought a Honda CRX :)

Time to start asking questions and show my ignorance on wheels and tires.

I'm not sure what to do about wheels and tires. I'm use to 20x8x13 tires and 13x6 wheels for my old Spridget. I'm trying to budget for next year and set up a plan. I'm trying to figure out what to look for and how much do I need to save over the winter if my other Spridget doesn't sale.

The current plan is to buy 185/60R13 new next year.
I got 3 sets of 13x5.5 that came with the car. I can run the 185/60R13 tires. They have the 38 offset.

ITC I can run 15 but H I have to run 13. Oops sorry

An old dog is trying to learn new tricks.

Compomotive can do a 13x6 for you: http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp ... =cxr-20-13

Well there went the wheel money.

Machine shop called and said my other Healey 100 cylinder head is cracked too. So it looks like I'll be heading to Chattanooga taking 2 cylinder heads instead of 1.

Everybody that's emailed me or pm'ed me the prices for 13x6 wheels were reasonable, but now I have to sell my #12 Spridget to buy any.

Back