Homestead Miami Speedway Majors

FP Racer

Beautiful race day with temperature in mid 70's. Three hundred twenty-five total entries in the facility.

Day one races --

EP
1. Kip Vansteenburg- Porsche 944
2. Jeffrey Cripe- BMW E36
3. Casey Gunnell-Toyota Celica
10 total starters
New track record- Greg Ira- 1:30.210
FP
1. Ken Kannard- Miata
2. Don Ahrens- Miata
3. Mark Weber-Miata
8 starters
(top 5 miatas)
New track record- Ken Kennard- 1:34.345
HP
1. Sam Moore- Honda Civic Si
2. Tim Pitts- VW Golf
3. W Griffin- Hondra CRX
6 starters
New track record- W Griffin- 1:39.660
GTL
1. Peter Shadowen- Honda CRX
2. Peter Zekert- Nissan 200Sx
3. Chris Kopley- Austin Mini
7 starters
New track record- Charlie Leonard 1:35.004

More tomorrow.

What happened to Ira? He was leading for at least 1/2 of the race, and then he dropped off the charts.

racer_tim":1gcuzszy said:
What happened to Ira? He was leading for at least 1/2 of the race, and then he dropped off the charts.
Greg Ira, the overall leader at the time, lapped me going into turn 2 with 7 laps (?) to go. I noticed something funny on the LR axle. Next I know it's hanging down like the CV or U-joint broke.

Greg and I talked at dinner and he was surprised that I could see the axle half attached. Turns out his new Porsche style CV conversion setup came apart and he had a floppy axle shaft.

Peter

HOLY COW......what an awesome race between Sam and Jay.....both turned their fastest lap on the last lap. Only 0.2s MOV.....great job fellas.

Dayle

Dayle Frame":8lzsm4yi said:
HOLY COW......what an awesome race between Sam and Jay.....both turned their fastest lap on the last lap. Only 0.2s MOV.....great job fellas.

Dayle

:mrgreen: 8) Yeah, that was fun! Quite a challenge for both of us I can promise you that. I passed Sam going into turn 1 & 2 on the last lap but when we were heading into the Nascar turn 3, I guess I rushed the 3-4 upshift because it didn't want to go in :doh: . That was all it took for him to get by.

Saturday I had, I was told, about a 3 second lead on Sam when my shifter started having too much movement in it with about 5 laps to go. So I was shifting VERY carefully after that but it kept getting worse. On lap 18, ironically going into Nascar T3 and the same 3-4 upshift, I got nothing. But it stayed in third gear! Finished in third...in third. :lol:

That was a fun weekend, it was pretty warm both days too. Almost wish I'd have had the coolshirt stuff in the car Sunday because I was spent after the race.

..... it was all my bourbon you consumed Saturday night that probably spent you... Great race! Thought you had him after the turn 1 pass. We were on the ground instead of on the garages so couldn't see the rest. Enjoyed the weekend with you. Will hire on any time... only you bring the bourbon!

Bob

Bob Hess":10du8np3 said:
..... it was all my bourbon you consumed Saturday night that probably spent you... Great race!

Nope, it was Charlies 46 that I drank Saturday night...... I had yours on Friday! :wink: Thanks again BTW.

For the bourbon and the help. :)

Anybody catch the man drama in SM again? Those guys just cant screw up the club's and Mazda's reputation enough. "Savior of the club"? LOL.

-Kyle

disquek":2j5egg2l said:
Anybody catch the man drama in SM again? Those guys just cant screw up the club's and Mazda's reputation enough. "Savior of the club"? LOL.

-Kyle

What's the law of probability that if ALL classes were under the same microscope, that they would find non-compliance items? :p

Best race I have had in years. It was a blast to duke it out with you Jay ( I mean W ). Good close racing without a touch! :applause:

Is there cheating in all classes? Of course.

Does it exist at the same extent as SM? No way. Not even close.

Do you think if these SM car were further torn down, would tech find additional compliance issues?

Also the notion of taking a class that was designed to provide an equal playing field and developing it to death takes a special type of ego.

Don't defend it. This drags us all through the mud.

-Kyle

disquek":2v7daw99 said:
Is there cheating in all classes? Of course.
Does it exist at the same extent as SM? No way. Not even close.

Don't defend it. This drags us all through the mud.

-Kyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHsgCrs_fM

Cheat or no cheat, some classes only wish they could race W2W like this for an entire race. Including GTL. Runoffs cheats were huge, Homestead, not so much. SM guys learn pretty quickly.

You do realize that you posted a video from a guy that was DQ'd ... right?

That's laughable. Three DQs out of four cars inspected is "not so much"?

If cheating is that rampant (and it is), it's not racing anymore. It's not just about .001 off radius that got them bounced. It's the 1000 other things that weren't found.

SM was once a great idea (2002). I was there. I'd bet that I've still run more SM races that you have David.

In 2015, SM is played out. Folks have taken it too far (cheating and contact). The officials were unprepared and didn't keep it in check. I don't see pulling it back without killing it, or seriously wounding it. I'd venture to say that it's already cost us more members than we'd have had without it. It might be time for SM to get either a full reboot, or be spun off into it's own club. I'd bet my shirt that if Mazda could turn back time, they would change everything about SM.

One last thing, David ... you're not a prod or GTL racer. You've become the SM cheerleader (more recently the SM apologist) on a non SM forum. It's nice that you have a passion for SM, but lets keep in mind where the SM forum is. Odd that I never see you posting there? I think I post there more than you do.

-Kyle

disquek":u4d0pw8u said:
You do realize that you posted a video from a guy that was DQ'd ... right?

It's the 1000 other things that weren't found.

I'd bet that I've still run more SM races that you have David.

One last thing, David ... you're not a prod or GTL racer.

Odd that I never see you posting there? I think I post there more than you do.

-Kyle

He is a great driver, correct.

1000 things were found, you sure are in the know.

More races, I'll bet you may be correct, we'll see where your ambition lies when your 73 years old.

I am not a production car driver, but I did crew a top level production car for 5 years between my SPEC7/ITA and my Spec Miata before a pro crew took over. You GTL red headed step children just kind of hang out at the production site, correct. Best you keep your numbers up or GTL will be a history.

Never see you posting there, it's because you don't have a clue. :hand:

GTL is certainly the close relative to prod. In
terms of run groups and political agendas.
Speaking of participation that there FE had better
get its numbers up yada yada blah blah David.That theatening
rhetoric is why the animosity level gets
So high within SCCA.

BRYAN FLOYD
6'5" gtl redheaded step kid.
Have fun Dave see you at summmit

The more I think aboutit Dave the more I want touch on attitudes.
The exact attitude of "xx" Class is the best most important active
whatever is dividing SCCA as a whole into small little pieces by that kind
of shortsighted Archie Bunker bigoted thinking. G.DMIT this is the 21st centiry
and these are most certainly first world problems but the CLUB exists
for ALL It's members equally, Racers, soloists etc. All members all
classes. I cannot believe so many members and officials are nearly
as selfish and self centered as to think only 5 or 10 classes matter in
This organization, SM IS not for me but I respect it enough to
respect my fellow racers that want to participate in it. Same for FA,
B.SPEC P1 etc. to think otherwise is disrepectful
Of ALL the SCCA racers today, tomorrow and yesterday.

Typos be damned did this on my phone
Bryan Floyd

Bryan, the more cars the more fantastic road racing is. I don't remember the year when John Sr. started this site for the very reason that H numbers were on the decline. Kyle likes to bring up and take shots at SM and when someone responds he get's his feathers all ruffled. It would be like me taking shots at the prod car community on the SM site, which I don't. Being that the prod group and GTL are constantly promoting an influx of cars, why anyone would take a shot at a prospective class customer is beyond me. Change my decals and wham-o, it's an F prod car. The reduction of classes and the whatever I take no part in other than to say, why. One of the things that urrks me somewhat is the want for everyones own race group. The pros don't have their own race groups and the speed differential is 88-o . They manage.

David Dewhurst":3603zq5q said:
The pros don't have their own race groups and the speed differential is 88-o . They manage.

...Until they don't... Then lots of the fast teams scream about all the 'bad amateur drivers renting seats in slow ass cars and can't drive' that need to get their own race.

Remember guys.. we're all racers here (and adults). we're supposed to get along. I don't care what you race as long as you show up and play fair. you give me room and I'll give you room.

... This said from the STU driver that's universally hated by everyone..

Back