Hallet Majors

I am so mad that this event got scheduled on this weekend, as I have a prior commitment. Any other weekend in April would've been no problem! I've wanted to run Hallett for years, and especially with Eric, Sam, and Kent all signed up....dammit.

OK anyone who needs 110 or 112 gas at Hallett I have 5 gallons or 112 at a bargain; $5:00/gal. Bought at Atlanta 2 weeks ago, don't ask why i have it with the new car! SOLD!

Not a huge turnout for this event, but the Prod field isn't bad, and there's a nice variety of cars.

EP - 5 Entries:
25 - Grahovec, Toby - 2003 BMW Z4 - Classic BMW, Hoosier, Carbotech - Little Elm, TX
9 - Kosdrosky, Rick - 2000 Caterham Lotus Super 7 - Kosmic Enterprises/Hoosier Tire/Summit Racing - Granbury, TX
71 - Reynolds, Matt - 1999 Mazda Miata - Reynolds Bros. Racing/JPM/Vintage Connection - Fair Oaks , Tx
24 - Robertson, Andrew - 2000 Caterham Super 7 - Trinity River Associates/Hoosier/Summit/SafeRacer - The Woodlands, TX
19 - Williams, Breton - 2010 Mazda MX5 - Breton Williams Racing / Jesse Prather Motorsports - Clinton, IA

FP - 7 Entries:
2 - Davis, Chuck - Acura Integra - Overland Park, KS
32 - Frank, Neal - 1990 Mazda Miata - Santafepens.com, Krone Pen Co., Lamy Pen Co. & Retro 1951 - Santa Fe, NM
37 - Henry, Sam - 1993 Mazda Miata - SpringfieldDyno/SafeRacer/ - Republic, MO
26 - Prather, Kent - 1962 MG A - Prather Racing - Wakarusa, KS
7 - Prill, Eric - 1990 Mazda Miata - MaxtonsFight.org/JPM/Hoosier - Topeka, KS
86 - Wagner, Randy - 1990 Mazda Miata - Mazdaspeed, Hoosier - Tulsa, OK
13 - Wood, Curtis - 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia - Dubros Motorsport, Automotive Archeologist - Ozark, MO

GTL - 2 Entries:
98 - Lopshire, Roy - 1991 Toyota Tercel - TRD/Williams Racing Development/Hoosier - Blue Springs, MO
43 - Maloney, Keith - Austin Mini Cooper S - Finley-Maloney Realestate - Parsons, KS

HP - 5 Entries:
3 - Albin, Chris - 1985 Volkswagen GTI/Golf - Hoosier/247-parts.com/AMT engines - Maryland Heights, MO
91 - Horrell, Rob - 1989 Honda CRX - Horrell Group Architects - Memphis, TN
Osborne, Ray - Austin Healey Sprite - Comptune - Nesbit, MS
06 - Poplin, Tristan - 1987 Volkswagen GTI - Frisco, TX
75 - Schulz, Jack - 1970 MG Midget - Automotive Archeologists - Monett, MO

As always a great weekend at Hallett. This might sound strange considering it's not a pro track, but I think this one should be on everyone's bucket list. The track is such a blast and the atmosphere is all about club racing.

I ran on Friday to do some tire setup testing with the new construction. Rob Horrell was there in the Honda and at the end of the day was cleaning the inside of the car out and apparently some water got into the ECU and the car wouldn't start again.

Saturday morning conditions were very good and I was able to run under the track record for the first time in the Miata. Reynolds was on the OA pole at a 22.4 (just under his 22.442 record) with me second at a 23.132 (under the 23.384 record), the Caterhams of Andrew Robertson (23.426), Rick Kosrdosky (23.772), the JPM MX5 with Breton Williams (24.213) and Sam Henry (25.240). Albin was on the HP pole at 32.719.

Not surprisingly the Caterhams got the jump on me and by the time we were to Turn 2 it was Matt, Andrew, Rick, me and Sam. We ran that way for the first two laps, pretty much nose-to-tail until Sam spun in Turn 5, which took the pressure off me. Matt and Andrew started pulling away after a few laps and I was trying to stay with Rick but not push so hard as to pester him. He had a huge moment when the LR axle broke going up the hill into the Bitch. A wild ride ensued with the car getting airborne as it spun through the dirt. I was trying to figure out where he and his wheel were going to end up. Just as Rick slid back onto the track at the bottom of the hill, the wheel slammed the rear of his car and bounced back into the grass. I snuck through as he finished his ride across the track. (https://youtu.be/qWlzI-zsJ64) From there, my race was pretty lonely. Sam was second with Neal Frank third. Reynolds ended up running off and hiding, dropping his track record another 0.7-sec to a 21.7. Robertson was second, with Williams third. Albin won HP by a good margin. Roy took GTL after Maloneys car wouldn't go off the grid. Randy Wagner broke a motor--sounds like he dropped a valve but had a spare for Sunday.

Sunday Matt and Andrew were 1-2 on the front row, with me third and Sam moving up to start 4th after Rick's retirement from the weekend. Start was clean but then Matt spun on lap 2 in Turn 5. I think Andrew went off on the exit (maybe 2 off?) of 5 the next lap in the dirt left on the track but he stayed in the OA lead. Matt once again was in the 21s and came back through pretty quickly. I slowly pulled a gap on Sam and then Williams got around him and chased me down. When he went by, I used him as a rabbit for a while and chased him. On the second to last lap I got down to a 23.531, which was about .8 faster than the rest of my laps. I was surprised at that and considered for a split second trying to find another .2 to go for the record but came to my senses when I remembered spinning away a win there last year. Sam finished 2nd in FP, followed by Kent in the MGA. I heard Andrew lost a gear, but he finished P2 in EP, with Williams third. Albin set a new HP record at 27.328 to win over Jack Schultz and Tristan Poplin. Roy was the lone GTL car. Results at http://www.scca.com/hallettmajors

Sounds like fun. wish I coulda been there, but budget prevents me from leaving TX for the rest of the season. I'll run MSRH Divisional and the TWS Majors and I'm done for the season. :(

That sucks seeing Rick lose the rear axle. He broke a tranny at NOLA too. Has not been his season so far.

Was there also rain spotted through the day? I looked at the small bore DOT times and they were in the 2:00 range.. musta been a damp track?

Matt93SE":pkg2wu6r said:
Sounds like fun. wish I coulda been there.
Same here, but unfortunately I was in Wisconsin all weekend.

Talked to Roy Saturday morning about his car/ECU problems. After verifying that he had adequate fuel, with the AEM Infinity system that's on the car, if you have no laptop & cable to hook up to it, and no tune files to upload anyways, then there's not much you can do. I'd be very surprised if any of the compenents got messed up by getting hit with water, as they're usually sealed up real well, but I've also seen stranger things before. If he could've hooked up to the ECU with a laptop and got them to actually connect and talk, then the ECU is probably fine. I would've cleared the memory, reloaded the tune, and see what happened. If that didn't fix it, then I'd look at the optical eye and coil driver components. The AEM tech support guys are usually pretty good to work with, if it comes to that.

Back