H Prod Spridget for sale Car is sold!

Erickz

H prod Bugeye is up for sale after running the HPI event at Mid Ohio yesterday. After 40 plus years I have run out of compression. This is Tony Chiles old car, you can read about it on this forum.
Coil overs all four corners, Wildwood calipers (big ones up front) with Carbotech pads all around.
Four link rear end with panhard bar and rear sway bar.
Close ratio straight cut gearbox that works really well, LP 1275 ACME built engine (bit of a story here) with only 3 hours (maybe) run time on it - total.
Electromotive ignition with spare box and pickup.
Double bearing rear hubs with a 3.9 open diff in the car and a 3.7 in a crate.
Lots of tyres - one set of Panasports wheels-one set of VTO’s (maybe two), another set from Moss(?).
Mounted rains (never used), mounted intermediates (never used) - one set of Goodyear slicks with only two heat cycles I am told (unmounted). One set Hoosiers with three heat cycles mounted on the Panasports.
Lots of spares - in shipping cartons so they pack nicely in your trailer. But good, if not new bits that you’ll need (SU needles, axle bearings, brake pads, etc.)

Asking 15,000$ for the car and all the wheels tyres, spares…what you need to go racing. Car is in Columbus OH near the CMH airport

Email me at [email protected] for the pictures you would like.
Thank you all!
EZ

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpeg
    IMG_1036.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 12,949
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 12,949
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12,949
An update: car also has a hard wired AMB transponder
Two sets of Panasports (8) one set of VTO’s (4) all 6x13 and one set of Minataurs (spelling , 5.5x13)
Ron Davis aluminum radiator (Huffaker design)
SPA fire suppression system (Pegasus offers)
Rain light
GPro camera mount
Belts good for two more seasons
Thanks
EZ

Information ........This is the ex-Tony Chiles car. This car won many races in the late 90's and early 2000s Lots of good parts on the car and great provenance. Bill

Thank you Bill

Will also include the fiberglass nose that I bot from Jason Stine a couple of years ago that thankfully I never needed. It will go with the car at this price.
ez

The two tubes from the roll hoop had to be moved so I could fit. Has had several annual tech since.
EZ

index.php

Erick.... Since these cars seem to be unwanted why don't we get together and see if we can put a Spridget Only class in SCCA so we don't have to junk perfectly good race cars that are fun to drive. My competition this past weekend at Sebring was a bunch of old H cars and two VWs very well prepared. Finished 3rd knowing there was no chance against the Rabbits. Wish I could get pictures put on this site then both of us could show the folks what we both have. Looks like a good car you have there.

Bob

Sorry, but the last G Prod I've seen was in '14 when I bought a '64 square body Midget race car. Guy dumped it because they killed the class and made a mess out of HP. The only reason I'm still in SCCA is because I'm part of the CFR staff and really enjoy driving the cars. Gave up winning anything years ago even though my cars have been some of the fastest on the tracks. No fun any more here.

Bob

Bob - I appreciate your comments. Jason and I spoke about this at MO earlier ….I’ll leave in his capable hands.
EZ

This is a great car. I always liked the way it looks with the flames.

I'd like to see G come back too, but that ship has sailed, and possibly been sunk with the Russian fleet in Crimea...

We have the class we have - let's make it the best we can make it. That likely will involve giving some allowances to the Spridgets. Allowances typically come in response to CRB letters. Give some thoughts to what a 10/10ths build needs to be competitive (realizing that a Spridget turned the fast lap at VIR 2019 runoffs, but buy do they race differently than the other "fast" cars), and ask for it.
Be specific. Share data. Build a case, and be clear about the ask (not just "help the brit cars).
I know the system is slow, but it does work.

Bob and all especially Southeast Division guys, the Division has the ability to make regional race classes. So, what about HP Spridget? Yes, only a sprites/midgets that are HP compliant as a class. We have a class for the 1600cc spec Miatas, SMSE. So, HPSE for you guys. Simple rules and an equal competition class. And the SARRC series would provide a points championship and championship race, the SIC. I can immediately think of 7 cars and there's probably others running just vintage who would join us.

Hi, Jim. Great idea, but selling it to folks like the CFR bone heads who run our region is an impossible task. No favors down here unless you drive a Miata. Hi to Toni.

Bob

I know the system is slow, but it does work.

Chris I will have to disagree with you, if you mean that it works for the people it is designed to work for, meaning the racers. But sometime it works in unseen ways. I dealt with CRB for years and came away mystified with what was behind their decisions or even what information they were looking at to make them. And it has remained that way because of their refusal to justify or even to discuss their decisions. However, one comment made in private by one CRB member to me many years ago did, I think reveal some thoughts that I am sure he regretted saying later. After talking with him about some recent decisions by the CRB and seeing his irritation building he blurted out that of all the problems the CRB had to deal with 75% are production car related and he wished they could just get rid of all those old cars. It was most likely the only accurate statement he said during the whole conversation. ,and it was certainly the only one I believed.

So you see Chris sometimes the system does work, most of the old cars are gone,in my opinion they were driven out, and the CRB got just what they wanted.

Having seen some of the national race and runoff entry numbers, I wonder if the current BOD and CRB members would concur with some
of those short-sighted decisions, like getting rid of G-p and most of the cars that were in the class.

rick haynes

It’s OK Rick.
Your wrong. (but I think everyone here agrees that murdering GP was a bad idea)
We had cars from the previous six decades in the 29 car field racing at the HP invite, and all the prod classes are in the top 10 in runoffs entries with plenty of typical old era cars included.

The PAC is generally responsive to well reasoned and supported requests.
No we don’t all agree with every move they or the CRB makes, but most of us don’t take that as some sort of sinister plot to destroy prod racing.

I’d expect a well reasoned request to help spridgets would be considered at face value, much like recent requests for the Triumph EP car to address unique challenges that engine faces in road racing.

This is a cool car for sale that can be raced at SCCA or vintage in decent fields if someone wants to.

Chris... Don't know where you've been all these years but SCCA, Central Florida Region, etc. won't let my car, and probably Erick's car get anywhere near a Vintage race. The allowed suspension and brake mods authorized by SCCA are not allowed even at region level races. HSR is the only Vintage group with a class for the modified cars and for Florida that comes once, maybe twice a year at a cost that makes you want to forget the race gig all together. Presently building a "real" '60 Sprite Vintage car just so I can get out of the thundering herd of Miatas, VWs, and other heavy duty iron in 30 to 50 car run groups that really test your defensive driving skills.

Bob

The CFR vintage guys dont seem to care. I ran the VW in vintage once because CFR grouped us with SM. But also. I dont see any reason why you couldnt gather a couple of cars and make your own class, Like Jim mentioned . Maybe run with ITB /ITC . or vintage . We have 4-6 Spec Corvettes running with Big GT.

But looking at the Data for the class. The Spridget is allowed any body combo, with any engine combo . Its the only car that is allowed an engine thats 10 yrs newer than the car shell.? Bartell held that Sebring track record for a few years and up until this year when our car got a perfect storm of cold hard air and some heat on the track . Until then, that car was 2 seconds faster then we had ever gone. I doubt that we wil go under his old record again.

No doubt that times have changed and the LBC is no longer the easy, or cheap , button. Lots of very trick bits inside of those cars .
My letter would be to allow EFI for all cars in prod ..
I'm not ADD. ??

Back