Great Runoffs Coverage

Rob

I have to say that the Runoffs coverage on Speedcast was great overall.

The announce staff was great. The racing was good if not great in all of the classes that I watched.

The best part was the Sportsmanship. Aside from a couple of oopsies, there were no incidents of flagrant rubbing people out of the way that I saw. I have grown weary of winner interviews in "pro" racing where the "I hate to win that way, but ya gotta" is used and tolerated.

The Runoffs competitors show that you don't gotta. If you can't pass cleanly then you need to finish behind the driver you are fighting with.

An example of this comes to mind-it would have been possible (probably not easy) for Prill to drive down through the pit-exit to get beside Joe in the closing stages and use the MG as brakes/"eight wheels work better than four" to take second. I did not expect him to do that. I'm glad that he didn't. The Runoffs would have been slightly less enjoyable to watch if he had. Knowing Eric as I do the only way he would make contact with another driver is if he had a mechanical situation or made a truly honest mistake.

If we would have been watching a NASCAR road race I am almost certain that someone would have done that.

The fact that this type of passing strategy is not used is the best part of the Runoffs and SCCA Club Racing to me.

Back