Goodyear R430 Cantilever Slick - has anyone gone back?

Paul Pineider

Has anyone tried the "new" bias cantilever slick? I've been told production has been farmed out to third parties and quality might not be what we were used to.

I had an old set of Goodyear's, that had been stored properly, used them at the recent Major @ Kansas Speedway for the Saturday race. They sure performed better under braking then the Hoosiers I ran on Sunday. Now I ran a faster lap on the fresh Hoosiers. Perhaps it was just my driving, and as a friend told me last night, it looked like I couldn't find the apex, my excuse was I couldn't get the car slowed down and kept going way wide.

Any input will be helpful, but not making the jump to radials right now. I'm sure I will at some point.

I have used the new Goodyears with my front wheel drive Prelude and my friend has used them with his rear wheel drive GT3 car.
We both went as fast as we ever have and have no complaints, only compliments.

Paul, I assume you are talking the 15" bias Goodyears (that they restarted last year)?

I tested the new 13" Goodyears (R430) last month. I was very happy. Good feel. Same strong sidewall as before, very good feel and braking. I was very happy.

When Goodyear went away I ran the Hoosier bias. Another good tire but it moved more in the sidewall than the Goodyears. No problem, but you had to get used to it and you had to use more wheel spacers (if clearance was an issue).

I will test the 13" bias Goodyears again in 2 weeks at Daytona.

Peter

peterzekert":1j78dqvy said:
Paul, I assume you are talking the 15" bias Goodyears (that they restarted last year)?

I tested the new 13" Goodyears (R430) last month. I was very happy. Good feel. Same strong sidewall as before, very good feel and braking. I was very happy.

When Goodyear went away I ran the Hoosier bias. Another good tire but it moved more in the sidewall than the Goodyears. No problem, but you had to get used to it and you had to use more wheel spacers (if clearance was an issue).

I will test the 13" bias Goodyears again in 2 weeks at Daytona.

Peter

Yes Peter the 15" is what I'm running on the RX-7. 1782's to be exact. I looked at the catalog and didn't see the 13" cantelevers so I figured they were not making those. The Goodyear's were definitely more stable under braking. Hoosiers perhaps a little stickier. Let us know how the Daytona test goes.

Thanks, and thanks to Keith above for his input.

Anyone have a contact # or email address for Goodyear. I'd like to check with them on what exactly will be available for Daytona Runoffs,

Comptire was dumped by GY as of March 1st.
East

Shelby Carter-Maxwell, LLC

3801 N. Main Street
High Point, NC 27265
PHONE: (336) 884-0328
FAX: (336) 884-0392

Central

Carter-Maxwell, Inc

4215 N. Wilburn Ave.
Bethany Oklahoma 73008
PHONE: (405) 789-8253
FAX: (405) 789-9201

West

Carroll Shelby Enterprises, Inc.

6895 Speedway Blvd.
Building Z101
Las Vegas, NV 89115
PHONE: (702) 430-5160
FAX: (702) 430-5167
WEB: www.carrollshelbyent.com

Talked to the Goodyear rep at Daytona yesterday. He said they will be starting production of 20x8x13s late September. They will be US made.

Bob

Addition to rydermike's list of GY dealers: SASCO SPORTS, Alton, VA, 434-822-7200, [email protected]. They will be covering major events in the SE. Rep I talked to the other day was an engineer from CA collecting data and consumer interest. He said they have upped the quality of the new generation tires.

Bob

Bob Hess":3b70s6hw said:
Talked to the Goodyear rep at Daytona yesterday. He said they will be starting production of 20x8x13s late September. They will be US made.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Goodyear is currently (i.e., today) making the 20x9.5x13 bias in the 430s for Daytona Runoffs, and as you stated, 20x8.0x13s after Runoffs. I and several other people were asked our opinions as to whether to do the 20x9.5x13 or the 20x8.0x13 first. [Jokingly I said whatever we recommend, the opposite will be the better choice.] The decision was to have the 9.5 wide tires first.

I did another test day on the new 430s at Daytona and was very (VERY) happy with them. Great feel, great braking and longevity. (20x9.5x13). I also picked up a set of the development tires in 20x8.0x13 to test next month. I intend to run the GTLite race on 20x8.0x13 bias 430 tires, pounding on them with a 1950 pound car, to test their durability.

I can show people both new and used 430s at the Prod/GT party.
Peter

Sorry for the thread jack but long time IT guy building a car for Prod.

Rules say 15X7 wheels if I use radial slicks, but 15X10s if I run some crazy sounding brand of bias slick. What does this actually mean? Can I run any bias slick at 15X10 or just that brand?

Thanks.

You have to use the American Racer tire. @ this point they are only useful on very light cars. Lotus 7 or Spridget size/weight. Call me for more details if you like.

Jeffyoung":3ivxzg3i said:

Rules say 15X7 wheels if I use radial slicks, but 15X10s if I run some crazy sounding brand of bias slick. What does this actually mean? Can I run any bias slick at 15X10 or just that brand?

Thanks.
Only the American Racer tire on 15x10. It's essentially an oval track tire and is slower than a Hoosier/Goodyear, but they're also way cheaper.

Jeffyoung":2ia6rjdy said:

Thanks.

Jeff, call Charlie Clark, he can give you all the information you need regarding the American Racer tire. See his website link below.

http://kcraceware.com/

I ran the new Goodyear 15x7 cantilever bias slick at the Runoffs, I would highly recommend them.

Back