Goodyear info from the Runoffs?

KDENNIS

Does anybody have new info from the runoffs on the Goodyear tire situation and future plans? Was this simply a mistake in forecasting usage or the first step in phasing out involvement?

I spoke with Mike Knox before the Runoffs and it appears as if they were effected by the Hoosier folks not making bias tires and radials. Their normal allotment of bias tires got swallowed up earlier than they expected. They plan on having tires for us next season and will honor certificates from 2012 in 2013. I'm a GY guy and they've always treated me well. I'm not speaking for him but just relaying what he told me. Call him if you have any questions.

I was lucky and got stickers before the event and prepared. The cool temps made for a lot of power and I had good adhesion where the track was clean. We had to deal with oily surfaces all week. Grrrr......

Dayle

Wait.....so the Goodyear guy blamed Hoosier's production schedule on why Goodyear didn't have any tires? Because apparently so many Hoosier racers were buying Goodyear tires? Was he riding a unicorn when he told you this? :lol:

Kevin,

According to GY (Corporate) at the runoffs, there are no decisions yet regarding production for next year. There is a meeting this Thursday between Akron and the distributors to discuss prioritization of tires for 2013. Also which ones can me made profitably. I should get some feedback on that meeting and will make it available.

Bobby

kruck":hocx8lk5 said:
Wait.....so the Goodyear guy blamed Hoosier's production schedule on why Goodyear didn't have any tires? Because apparently so many Hoosier racers were buying Goodyear tires? Was he riding a unicorn when he told you this? :lol:

No.....don't read anything into my statement. No blame was assigned. It's just the way things played out. Way back when, GY made x number of tires. Hoosier did not make some bias tires (concentrating on the radials) and some Hoosier users came to GY for bias tires. Their supply (probably made months earlier) was used up earlier than they (GY) expected.

Dayle

Steve Petrescu at Goodyear is asking drivers for feedback so he can build a business case for the radials to present at this meeting that Bobby is referring to. I talked to him at length about the radials. They are completley developed and ready for production. He just needs to build the case for ROI, etc.
He took notes during our conversation and needs more data as soon as possible.

Steve can be reached at:

Steve Petrescu
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co.
1144 East Market St
Akron, OH 44316
(330) 796-4589
(330) 796-2222 - fax
[email protected]

Hey Rick, thanks for the info.

With what you wrote, and the wringing of hands at GY, I'm guessing there probably isn't much of a chance to get both a bias ply and radial solution in 13" and 15" next year.

I keep hearing that the radials are where it's at, but I haven't seen anyone prove that on a RWD 13" tire from Hoosier yet.

The devil that you know...

Can someone set up a poll here for desired build for 13s and 15s?

-M

I'm not smart enough to know how to make radials work and I don't wanna spend the money it takes to do so. I'll be happy to watch the learning curve be built by somebody else and then jump on board. So I'll stay a bias guy until that curve flattens out in a year or two.

When people I really respect tell me they have problems dialing in these radials, I have to wonder how steep the curve is. It's obvious that they are the future....but when is that future going to come to fruition?

Dayle

Matt Brannon":3ai0a2bf said:
I keep hearing that the radials are where it's at, but I haven't seen anyone prove that on a RWD 13" tire from Hoosier yet.

-M

Eric Prill has been running the 13" radials on his FP car and won a number of races this year. He missed the big one but person who won FP was also on the 13" Hoosier radials.

RonInSD":2mljdb26 said:
Matt Brannon":2mljdb26 said:

-M

Eric Prill has been running the 13" radials on his FP car and won a number of races this year. He missed the big one but person who won FP was also on the 13" Hoosier radials.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...
I would think that the radials would be easy for a RWD car with independent rear suspension but not so easy on a RWD car witha solid rear axle because of the radial tires need for negative camber. When you put camber into the rear of a solid axle car you need cambered axle tube$, crowned axle$ and cambered drive plate$. And then there is the issue rear toe and toe change depending on pinion angle which changes under acceletation and braking. I am sure the radial tires would be ultimatly better/faster but there is a lot of expense and testing involved. I can see why a guy with a solid rear axle car would want the bias ply tires for as long as they are available. It seems there is a market for both bias ply and radial tires but there's no telling if the bias ply tire market will continue to be profitable.

I think they are inclined to keep making the bias. Still an awesome tire.

Warren Montague is trying to make the radials work on his GTL car with no luck so far. Solid axle rear with limited camber options.

Yes, Steve at Good Year did mention that the Bias tire will be available regardless if they decide to put the radial in production.

RonInSD":3exxlkgt said:
Matt Brannon":3exxlkgt said:

-M

Miatas are running 13"s ????

If they would get rid of/change the rim width rule there would be lots of options.

Back